5AF's 2018-19 Premier Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

slappybrown

5AF's 2018-19 Premier Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Postby slappybrown » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Chris Clark isnt coming back. They got Will Gragg who was a former 4-star guy in from Arkansas and he's immediately eligible. Sear played last year and they have Carrigan as well. Sucks but Reeves RS'd last year so its not like we knew what he was gonna be. Makes sense that they also got that JUCO transfer who has offers from LSU and Ole Miss, but he's not eligbile till next fall.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:42 pm

Forgot about Gragg. In any case this is just a minor speed bump on the way to an ACC championship #H2P

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Forgot about Gragg. In any case this is just a minor speed bump on the way to an ACC championship #H2P
:thumb: :lol:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Charles Reeves, Jr. dismissed from the team. There goes a 4* recruit and TE depth.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:40 pm

Charles Reeves, Jr. dismissed from the team. There goes a 4* recruit and TE depth.
Welcome to 3 days ago lol :D :lol:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:43 pm

You hit 88 mph in @dodint ‘s DeLorean?

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:42 am

2018 Media Guide has been posted on the website.

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/2 ... guide.aspx

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:27 pm

The departure of Tim 'Ox' Enright from #Pitt is stunning. He wasn't just football equipment manager for 31 years but lifeline to alums. Ox did so much behind-the-scenes work at Pitt. What I'm hearing about his departure is not flattering to Panthers coach Pat Narduzzi.
https://twitter.com/KGorman_Trib/status ... 4630416386

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:32 pm

pittsburgh media is the worst

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:46 pm

Gorman sucks, has always sucked, and will forever suck.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:40 pm

Gorman drinks his own pee.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:08 pm

True or false:

Darrin Hall is the starting RB come week 6 v. Syracuse.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:10 pm

False

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:49 pm

False. I think one of Sibley/Davis/Salahuddin takes over.. oh and we still have that 1,000 yard rusher* Ollison.

*I could have ran for 750 behind that line

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:20 am

The departure of Tim 'Ox' Enright from #Pitt is stunning. He wasn't just football equipment manager for 31 years but lifeline to alums. Ox did so much behind-the-scenes work at Pitt. What I'm hearing about his departure is not flattering to Panthers coach Pat Narduzzi.
https://twitter.com/KGorman_Trib/status ... 4630416386
I love Kevin Gorman. But to be fair to you all - from what I’ve seen from the outside, it seems like all your AD’s firing/hiring is just riling up all the people who had strong relationships/friendships with these firees. Stallings was easy, everyone hated him. But the longer term coaches/staff... it’s tough.

Side note though, since Lyke seems to be very aggressive with coaching changes, what do you all think it would take for Narduzzi to be on the hot seat? I cannot imagine consecutive under .500 seasons (which is possible with Pitt’s schedule) in years 3 and 4 (right?) would look too good.

Aside from the game in Happy Valley though, Pitt’s 2019 slate looks a bit more favorable. But the big question is how they hold up against the other ACC teams. Pitt’s half of the ACC in particular isn’t really that brutal a division.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:31 am

True
I have to agree with the esteemed FR and the much less esteemed ulf. It is unclear to me whether Darrin Hall is actually #good but I suspect the answer is "not really"

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:37 am

He was already on my hot seat last season because bad coaching and terrible personnel decisions contributed greatly to the 5-7 record. I imagine another sub .500 year with no bowl game would make the 2019 season a make or break for him, but I would shitcan after this season.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:45 am

I give him through 2020 to produce a 9-win or better season. The only scenario in which I cut him loose is sub-500 this year and next and even then I don't know that I would depending on context. If ever there was a program that should take it slow on this front it is Pitt. DD is crazy for firing him this year even at sub 500 given a schedule that projects to be in the top 5 toughest in the country.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:52 am

None of these things are going to happen because they're winning the ACC this year

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:57 am

True
I have to agree with the esteemed FR and the much less esteemed ulf. It is unclear to me whether Darrin Hall is actually #good but I suspect the answer is "not really"
He isn't bad but he certainly isn't a difference maker. However, I'm getting to the point in my sports viewing career where I lose the ability to assume that the guy on the bench is certainly going to be better than the incumbent. AJ Davis didn't show anything really last year. And i have no reason to believe that salahudein and sibeley will be much of an updgrade

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:58 am

terrible personnel decisions
well, he no longer has the option to f up the personel decisions at QB so we should be ok

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:59 am

DD is crazy
In general, this is correct.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:08 am

True
He isn't bad but he certainly isn't a difference maker. However, I'm getting to the point in my sports viewing career where I lose the ability to assume that the guy on the bench is certainly going to be better than the incumbent. AJ Davis didn't show anything really last year. And i have no reason to believe that salahudein and sibeley will be much of an updgrade
This is fair, but out of the 4 4 star RBs on the roster, one of them has to actually be a difference maker, no? Hall doesn't seem to be that guy.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:16 am

Enright sounds like a great guy and by all accounts, he is.

That said, if you read Batko's write-up on Enright's dismissal, I get the sense that a lot of the huffing and puffing over his dismissal had a lot more to do with former players frustrations than it does the heartless new coach/AD breaking ties with the beloved equipment guy. McKillop & Taglianetti in particular seem to have some sort of bug up their backsides about Narduzzi and this gave them a convenient excuse to honk off to the media. Look at some of these quotes:
“To me, just to be honest with you, it won’t be the same going back to South Side and going to Pitt,” Scott McKillop, an All-American linebacker who played from 2004-08, said Tuesday.
Melodramatic much, Scott? Won't be the same? Um, has he seen that they've brought back the Script and the old colors...you know, the things that literally anyone else who follows college football thought identified the program? I know he played during the "cat logo" era so literally speaking, no, it's not the same program he was in. But wow.
Neither McKillop nor Taglianetti wanted to comment on reasons they heard for Enright stepping down...
Of course they don't. They'll just get on the phone with Batko and Gorman or go on Twitter to throw veiled insults at the program because their buddy is no longer there.
McKillop and Taglianetti are well aware — perhaps painfully so — that they’re no longer as connected to the program they loved playing for as they used to be. They still do love it, but it’s just getting harder and harder to recognize it.

They both mentioned associate athletic director/football administration Chris LaSala, director of player development/high school relations Bob Junko, and head trainer Rob Blanc — all of whom have spent at least two decades with Pitt football — as the lone stalwarts left to return to.
Well, yeah. Welcome to the real world, where turnover happens all the time and a decade is an extremely long time to be anywhere. This is even more ridiculous to hear from two guys who played for and are talking about a program that exists in an industry where programs change personnel from year to year like most people change their underwear.

But at least now we're getting the real reasons why they may be upset. To that end, I thought this quote from Taglianetti gave it away...
To be clear, Taglianetti insisted that Pitt’s alumni outreach efforts are genuine, and that he doesn’t expect Narduzzi to have time to connect with him individually — “I wasn’t a first-round draft pick. I’m just a washed up guy,” he quipped — but seeing Enright go is a major blow to morale.
"I wasn't a first-round pick. I'm just a washed-up guy." Translation: If I was Aaron Donald or Larry Fitzgerald, Narduzzi would probably be returning every phone call or text I send him and inviting me to the South Side every other week.

Look, this isn't disparaging to Enright in any way, shape or form. People I know that were in the program have all said he was an awesome guy, and if you're at all familiar with Dana Heinze's twitter account, you see the incredible amount of work those guys put into the program.

And this isn't to dismiss McKillop or Taglianetti, or any of the other former players that were legitimately upset by this. The guys Batko mentioned in his piece - McKillop, Tags, Pinkston, Gunn, etc. - were all good players at Pitt. As alums of the program, their opinions count just as much as Aaron Donald's or Larry Fitzgerald's or Tony Dorsett's. I think it's important that Pitt's football administration reaches out to them and I hope that they do.

That's also a two-way street though. If you're a former player who isn't happy with something the current coach or AD is doing, there are better ways to get your point across than going to media with thinly-veiled shots. Pitt's football program is already fighting an uphill battle on a few different fronts when it comes to local media coverage, and at least some of that trickles down to the standards that some high school coaches and recruits seem to hold Pitt to in their recruitment. Former players taking to the media to voice issues like this doesn't help matters.