BEER

Robot B9

BEER

Postby Robot B9 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:00 am

Anyone been to Liberty Beer in Bloomfield?

MrKennethTKangaroo

BEER

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:04 am

No, I got no time to park in bloomfield

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:27 pm

You deserve the hangover. I can't drink IC without needing to be 2 steps from a toilet the next day.
Hey now, I'm doing this for you and all the other pens fans. It's pretty obvious there is a correlation between me indulging in the magic of confluence river water and pens victories come cup runs. A little respect would be appreciated.
Yup, I celebrated a bit too hard last night :|

Lemon Berry Lobster

BEER

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Buncha sissies.

meecrofilm

BEER

Postby meecrofilm » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:48 pm

Anyone been to Liberty Beer in Bloomfield?
Ya. Pretty good prices and selection. Also, there is a parking lot that is rarely full. For those who don't know, it's basically at the intersection of Liberty and the Bloomfield Bridge.

robbiestoupe

BEER

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:29 am

Put my hops rhizomes in the ground yesterday after erecting the climbing structure. My neighbor 3 houses down (we all share the center of a "pie" shape in our back yards) was asking what I was building. I told him and his only question was, "do they flower?" I think he was a bit put off by the eyesore :lol:

llipgh2

BEER

Postby llipgh2 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:06 am

It has a parking lot.

slappybrown

BEER

Postby slappybrown » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:05 am

It has a parking lot.
:pop:
lli, "kenny is very bad at parking in bfield" is an ongoing 5AF meme (and by meme I mean he and I find it amusing and no one else)

llipgh2

BEER

Postby llipgh2 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:30 am

lli, "kenny is very bad at parking in bfield" is an ongoing 5AF meme (and by meme I mean he and I find it amusing and no one else)
Ha!

MrKennethTKangaroo

BEER

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue May 01, 2018 8:36 am

I never said it was very bad I just said that it was not worth it to drive from exurban regent square to bloomfield to get a haircut GEEZ

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Wed May 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Recent beers:

Lagunitas The Waldo's Special Ale. Not for the feint of heart. 11.3 and fairly intense. Was a sipper for sure.

Grimm Amarillo Pop! A bit different than other Pop!s I've had, as it featured hops instead of a specific fruit.

It was still very good. Can't say that I've had a beer like it... It was probably more tart than sour, a bit creamy, and the hop flavor is there but not overwhelming, imo.

Got a couple more new Pops to try as well.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:28 pm

Had a few decent beers in the Dayton area this past weekend. Best was a Wit from Iron Line brewing.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Thu May 03, 2018 9:04 am

What beers from the Grist House would one suggest?

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:24 pm

Putin's Breakfast or Black in the USSR. Both imp stouts. I think Putin's is more of a coffee stout.

Should also note I have no idea which if either they currently have on tap

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sun May 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Anyone seen Weihenstephaner Braupakt in the Pittsburgh area?

Collab w/ Sierra Nevada... Really want to try it, but haven't found any yet.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sat May 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Tick one off the bucket list. Tonight I got to try Westvleteren 12. It is certainly very good. Best beer in the world? Probably overkill... But very good.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Sun May 13, 2018 6:20 pm

Tick one off the bucket list. Tonight I got to try Westvleteren 12. It is certainly very good. Best beer in the world? Probably overkill... But very good.
:thumb:

I tried the physical laser from southern tier, pretty nice beer from them. I see they brought back OAT which was my favorite stout for a long while, but it appears to be barrel aged now, unfortunately me mom left it at camp so I threw away her mother's day gift

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Sun May 13, 2018 6:59 pm

Got a bottle of Scorpion Bowl IPA from Stone yesterday. It's okay. Seems like they're really trying to sell it as a tropical IPA. It's not, but still a solid beer.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Thu May 17, 2018 1:52 pm

Anybody else try this year's KBS? I was extremely disappointed by it. It just tasted like a glass of joe to me... No chocolate, no barrel... Just coffee. Eff that noise.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

BEER

Postby iamjs » Thu May 17, 2018 4:11 pm

I've seen a few articles saying that if you've had the St. Bernardus 12, then you've basically had the Westy 12. It's not an exact clone, but the ingredients are the same except the yeast. Even the yeast isn't far off, since St. Bernardus is using an older yeast that is in the same family that Westvleteren is using.

http://ithinkaboutbeer.com/2013/05/16/q ... ame-beers/
After WWII, Westvleteren decided to contract their brewing operations. They just wanted to produce enough beer inside the monastery to meet their own needs. They decided to license their name to the nearby Deconink Brewery (Now called St. Bernardus). At this point in time, the beers used the same recipes, ingredients, and yeast. The beers were initially the same. It’s not clearly documented when, but Westvleteren switched yeast from their old strain to Westmalle’s yeast. However, it IS well documented that Westvleteren gets fresh yeast whenever they need it from a fresh crop at Westmalle.

Westvleteren ended the contract with St. Bernardus in 1989 as the Trappist Monasteries were preparing to launch the “Authentic Trappist Product” logo which required the beer to be brewed within the walls of the monastery. This was when St. Bernardus beers were born.

St. Bernardus is still using an older scion of the Westvleteren yeast. While this means the beers aren’t the same anymore, it does allow you to try an older version of Westvleteren (and some of the older recipes that don’t exist anymore like the 6). While you may not be able to get your hands on a Westvleteren, St. Bernardus beers are pretty readily available.
http://bonbeer.com/beer-rating/amazing/ ... us-abt-12/

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Thu May 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Yeah, I'm aware of the back story... Still wanted to try "the real thing".

I'm not certain either is better than Rochefort 10 based on my experiences.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Thu May 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Actually planning on opening a Westy XII tomorrow. I brought a couple bottles back from Belgium since I've never managed to try it.

@the wicked child I went to Fantome while I was there and hung out for a bit. I seem to recall you saying you loved the classic fantome saison you had somewhat recently. It was a magical place.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Thu May 17, 2018 6:01 pm

Oh yes. That Fantôme saison was amazing. I've tried a couple others from them that were also good, but not as magical as the first.

Robot B9

BEER

Postby Robot B9 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:42 am

I've seen a few articles saying that if you've had the St. Bernardus 12, then you've basically had the Westy 12. It's not an exact clone, but the ingredients are the same except the yeast. Even the yeast isn't far off, since St. Bernardus is using an older yeast that is in the same family that Westvleteren is using.

http://ithinkaboutbeer.com/2013/05/16/q ... ame-beers/
After WWII, Westvleteren decided to contract their brewing operations. They just wanted to produce enough beer inside the monastery to meet their own needs. They decided to license their name to the nearby Deconink Brewery (Now called St. Bernardus). At this point in time, the beers used the same recipes, ingredients, and yeast. The beers were initially the same. It’s not clearly documented when, but Westvleteren switched yeast from their old strain to Westmalle’s yeast. However, it IS well documented that Westvleteren gets fresh yeast whenever they need it from a fresh crop at Westmalle.

Westvleteren ended the contract with St. Bernardus in 1989 as the Trappist Monasteries were preparing to launch the “Authentic Trappist Product” logo which required the beer to be brewed within the walls of the monastery. This was when St. Bernardus beers were born.

St. Bernardus is still using an older scion of the Westvleteren yeast. While this means the beers aren’t the same anymore, it does allow you to try an older version of Westvleteren (and some of the older recipes that don’t exist anymore like the 6). While you may not be able to get your hands on a Westvleteren, St. Bernardus beers are pretty readily available.
http://bonbeer.com/beer-rating/amazing/ ... us-abt-12/
They are quite close. The story is really cool. Personally, I found the Westy jut a bit better than the Abt. Honestly, tho, it's like comparing Hanzo swords, so you really can't go wrong. Great that Abt is more readily available and reasonably priced.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Fri May 18, 2018 9:07 am

I should also note that the westy I had was a few years old so it may not be completely fair. It was still a damn good beer though. You're pretty much splitting hairs between the Westy 12, Abt 12, and Rochefort 10, imo.