Religion Discussion Thread

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:59 am

After a week like this, “where’s your god now?” Is sort of a tired question. A more interesting one is if loving and worshiping god is more difficult after a week like this. I understand not rushing to abandon your faith, but you’re supposed to love god simply for the sake of it and not because you are forced to. But from the outside it seems like a fairly one sided, abusive relationship. This isn’t me being an edge lord. I’m really curious how you can give god your unsolicited, unwavering affection. And not just feel like a captive.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:43 am

The Israelites and the early Church went through massively worse times than this, and so are Chinese Christians at the immediate present.

It would take a pretty narcissistic American Christian (but I repeat myself) for things like this week to move one to question God's loyalty.

If you have a proper understanding of the depravity of man it is more surprising that the world is not thunderdome.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:45 am

People used to have it much worse. I agree. This is the best time to be alive.

But again, why do you love god?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:48 am

After a week like this, “where’s your god now?” Is sort of a tired question. A more interesting one is if loving and worshiping god is more difficult after a week like this. I understand not rushing to abandon your faith, but you’re supposed to love god simply for the sake of it and not because you are forced to. But from the outside it seems like a fairly one sided, abusive relationship. This isn’t me being an edge lord. I’m really curious how you can give god your unsolicited, unwavering affection. And not just feel like a captive.

The same way one loves a parent, sibling or spouse. It isn’t forced love and it isn’t one sided.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:51 am

The same way one loves a parent, sibling or spouse. It isn’t forced love and it isn’t one sided.
It isn’t forced. That’s why I’m asking why. And your parents and siblings probably aren’t cruel.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:54 am

People used to have it much worse. I agree. This is the best time to be alive.

But again, why do you love god?
People have it much worse, right now. I don't really need to consider the plight of Jeremiah to look and see where God is faithful in the midst of trial and tribulation.

The answer to the later is pretty simple.

We love Him because He first loved us. In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

As an example, regardless of how awful my earthly parents are, I know of the perfect love of the heavenly Father.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:55 am

Can I get that next to last paragraph in English? :lol:

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Even as a Christian, it's difficult to overcome the belief that God is the one to blame in situations like this. But God's promise isn't concerning things in this world. That's why I don't really enjoy the "prosperity" preachers out there.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:07 pm

Even as a Christian, it's difficult to overcome the belief that God is the one to blame in situations like this. But God's promise isn't concerning things in this world. That's why I don't really enjoy the "prosperity" preachers out there.
You’re Catholic? Any opinions on this...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_theology

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:13 pm

God has been cruel this week. He’s been cruel many other weeks. He gave us life and made a statement 2,000 years ago. Since then he has caused immeasurable suffering. So why do you actively, voluntarily love him? Gratitude? If this was any other entity, you would be a fool for loving someone who hurts so many. Worship, respect, follow...I get it. But you are head over heels for him. And it’s very unsettling

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:17 pm

I don’t believe in the concept of a god, as I’ve seen no evidence to indicate that it’s true. If a god were to reveal itself, I would then believe in said god and, generally, carry on with my life as before, aside from wondering about the possibility of an afterlife. I would definitely not go the worship route.

YMMV with said approach, but that’s where I am.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:19 pm

I don’t believe in the concept of a god, as I’ve seen no evidence to indicate that it’s true. If a god were to reveal itself, I would then believe in said god and, generally, carry on with my life as before, aside from wondering about the possibility of an afterlife. I would definitely not go the worship route.

I would worship out of fear if I felt my family was in danger. I would still acknowledge that he’s an as*hole.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:23 pm

I would worship out of fear if I felt my family was in danger. I would still acknowledge that he’s an as*hole.
But he already knows you think that and are only worshiping out of fear, so what's the point?

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:25 pm

God has been cruel this week. He’s been cruel many other weeks. He gave us life and made a statement 2,000 years ago. Since then he has caused immeasurable suffering. So why do you actively, voluntarily love him? Gratitude? If this was any other entity, you would be a fool for loving someone who hurts so many. Worship, respect, follow...I get it. But you are head over heels for him. And it’s very unsettling
I don't believe God actively had a hand in what had happened this past week, or anything that has happened in the past 2,000 years. Read about the history right after Jesus died. Most of the apostles were murdered. Did God do that?

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:25 pm

Note that if it were of the Hindu persuasion, I’d definitely be down for some chanting and cool outfits. ;)

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:26 pm

I don't believe God actively had a hand in what had happened this past week, or anything that has happened in the past 2,000 years. Read about the history right after Jesus died. Most of the apostles were murdered. Did God do that?
It appears so. I’m confused how he didn’t - if we’re talking about the same guy

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:28 pm

But he already knows you think that and are only worshiping out of fear, so what's the point?
I didn’t make the rules, man

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:29 pm

You’re Catholic? Any opinions on this...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_theology
Not a Catholic. Liberation as a theology is a tough concept to sell. Our freedom from oppression not always results in an earthly outcome.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:29 pm

People with free will caused the suffering.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:36 pm

It appears so. I’m confused how he didn’t - if we’re talking about the same guy
In that case, I can't blame you for your stance on Christianity and God himself. I don't believe God had any hand in it, but there was I time I used to ask myself why a living God would allow such things to happen.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:37 pm

I was just told that these broken families are causing this suffering. God let this guy’s parents have the free will to spit out this little turd. But why would he have created this life if he knew it was born under such circumstances?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:06 pm

I was just told that these broken families are causing this suffering. God let this guy’s parents have the free will to spit out this little turd. But why would he have created this life if he knew it was born under such circumstances?
You’re just talking in circles with the purpose of bashing the Christian god.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:57 pm

To add some beauty: this hymn interpretation is wondrous

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:01 pm

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:07 pm

^^^. Godless