Politics And Current Events

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:17 am

https://twitter.com/sensanders/status/9 ... 9541736449
There it is. Paul Ryan just admitted that after providing $1 trillion in tax breaks to the top 1% and large corporations, Republicans will try to cut Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and help for the most vulnerable Americans.
The bern is being intellectually dishonest here. Does anyone actually believe that Medicare, Medicaid, or social security are remotely viable in the long term?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:43 am

There it is. Paul Ryan just admitted that after providing $1 trillion in tax breaks to the top 1% and large corporations, Republicans will try to cut Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and help for the most vulnerable Americans.
The bern is being intellectually dishonest here. Does anyone actually believe that Medicare, Medicaid, or social security are remotely viable in the long term?
As they currently stand? No... the options are fix them or get rid of them.

It's okay though. If Trump is living up to his campaign promises, he'll veto anything that cuts those 3.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/sta ... 4187602944

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:54 am

We love our vets, the ones who aren’t homeless.
VA slashes program that helps homeless veterans obtain housing: report

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/363681 ... ssion=true

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:59 am

We love our vets, the ones who aren’t homeless.
VA slashes program that helps homeless veterans obtain housing: report

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/363681 ... ssion=true
VA Secretary David Shulkin reportedly told those on the call that the money for the program would now go to VA hospitals for use as they see fit. The hospitals must show that they are working to deal with homelessness as part of their work, according to Politico.
So basically the money is not actually going away from helping homeless vets.
The decision comes after a joint press conference between Shulkin and Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson at a Washington, D.C. homeless shelter in which the two announced a new commitment to ending homelessness among the nation's veterans.

The program provides housing vouchers to veterans via the Department of Housing and Urban Development while the VA continues helping veterans find more permanent housing.
It is just being administered differently.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:04 am

Take a successful program and put it into a more bureaucratic process, I’m sure it will work out.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:54 am

If we cared about vets we'd create less of them

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:55 am

Take a successful program and put it into a more bureaucratic process, I’m sure it will work out.
Isn’t that the Dems dream? Have bureaucracy in every aspect of every person’s life? :pop: :slug:

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:02 am

For someone who laments the two party system you sure like to pigeonhole people into them.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:03 am

SS yes. That can be kicked down the street with benefit changes and increasing the retirement age. Medicare and Medicaid, that is currently not sustainable. Eventually, I believe only a single payer system is viable public solution. The GOP's condemnation of Obamacare, to me, paves the way for the eventual development of a single payer system. When the democrats come back in to power after the eventual disgraced GOP reign, they will likely use that mandate to erase portions of the Trump tax cut to finance things like single payer healthcare.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:08 am

The official WH statement on Trump’s slurred speech during his Jerusalem speech was “dry mouth”. It is definitely not #DonaldDentures

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:12 am

For someone who laments the two party system you sure like to pigeonhole people into them.
The slug and popcorn didn’t tip you off that I was being facetious?

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:13 am

It was a statement of fact /sarahsanders

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:15 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/opin ... eft-region

I know we all hate Freidman, but it would help to look at Trump's moves in an international standpoint.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:18 am

Looks like he has a bridge.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:21 am

I know we all hate Freidman, but it would help to look at Trump's moves in an international standpoint.
I'm sure there are lots of Jews out there this time of year that are big on talking to their kids about Santa Claus.

What a dolt.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 am

SS yes. That can be kicked down the street with benefit changes and increasing the retirement age.
Or just lifting the cap on SS taxable income.
Medicare and Medicaid, that is currently not sustainable. Eventually, I believe only a single payer system is viable public solution. The GOP's condemnation of Obamacare, to me, paves the way for the eventual development of a single payer system. When the democrats come back in to power after the eventual disgraced GOP reign, they will likely use that mandate to erase portions of the Trump tax cut to finance things like single payer healthcare.
:thumb:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 am

I'm sure there are lots of Jews out there this time of year that are big on talking to their kids about Santa Claus.

What a dolt.
Of course there is also this.

Israeli media is reporting that several countries have advised Israel's foreign ministry that they, too, intend to move their embassies to Jerusalem in light of today's announcement by President Trump.
https://twitter.com/AviMayer/status/938481518179123200

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:31 am

I saw a story that don jr refused to say what he told Don Sr due to “attorney client privilege”. These two are not lawyers, and if there was a lawyer in the room does that count?
No, unless the attorney was representing both of them. But even then having an attorney there doesn't create some mystical barrier; you can't hide testimony/evidence/illegal acts by giving it to your attorney or invoking privilege.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:44 am

Back in 2011 on the old board I posted this about bitcoin when it was under $10....turns out all you had to do was wait. Bitcoin has now supassed $14,000
When do the hackers figure out how to make their accounts worth a gazillion dollars?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:21 am

I saw a story that don jr refused to say what he told Don Sr due to “attorney client privilege”. These two are not lawyers, and if there was a lawyer in the room does that count?
No, unless the attorney was representing both of them. But even then having an attorney there doesn't create some mystical barrier; you can't hide testimony/evidence/illegal acts by giving it to your attorney or invoking privilege.
There are exceptions (none of which are applicable here), but generally speaking, when a third party is in the room, that pierces privilege. There is also a thing called the crime-fraud exception.

When I first saw this story, I thought djt was talking about the Trump Tower meeting. Which would mean he was trying to invoke privilege with that Vasselineskya lady. Which would've been straight kooky dukes.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:33 am

WK's defense of Franken is top shelf, in terms of strangeness ITT.
The whole thing is a complete BS Roger Stone hit job.

Franken performing the same kissing comedy routine in 2003 with a different actress:

And here's your first accuser at a 2006 USO show:

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 am

Your theory seems more like Oliver than Roger.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 am

I'm with WK on this even if he is a rampant rabbit sympathizer.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:18 pm

Franken is quitting.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:24 pm

This is crazy:
At congressional hearing on preventing sexual harassment in the workplace, Gloria Lett, counsel for the office of House Employment Counsel, just said a former employer of hers had a whip in his office to “motivate” black employees. The audience gasped.
https://twitter.com/m_rhodan/status/938794621521494016