5AF NASCAR thread (all levels including ARCA, ASA, etc)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:20 pm

The first two stages of the Daytona 500 will be 60 laps each, with the final stage 80 laps, for a total of 200 laps.
Explain yourselves, NASCAR fans. The point of a 500-mile race is endurance, both physical and mechanical.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:26 pm

I haven't watched a lap in almost two years.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:28 pm

I came across the new points and what they are doing and I don't get it.

So do all races have 3 finishes now? I'm so confused.

relantel

Postby relantel » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:35 pm

The first two stages of the Daytona 500 will be 60 laps each, with the final stage 80 laps, for a total of 200 laps.
Explain yourselves, NASCAR fans. The point of a 500-mile race is endurance, both physical and mechanical.
That's just dumb. The Duels are counting as stage-points but aren't counted as the stages?!?

relantel

Postby relantel » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:04 pm

What the? 5 minute repair clock or you're out of the race. And it all has to be on pit road. Speed, you only get 4:45. Too many men over the wall? Out of the race. No more behind the wall for wreck damage. But they will allow it for mechanical failure! Really doesn't make much sense at all.

This is almost the last straw on the death of consistency and the value of every single point in NASCAR.

NASCAR announces updated damaged vehicle policy: NASCAR officials unveiled a new Damaged Vehicle Policy on Wednesday at the sanctioning body's Research & Development Center, a policy that will be enforced in all three national series -- Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, XFINITY Series and Camping World Truck Series. Under the guidelines, teams no longer will be allowed to replace damaged body parts that are the result of accidents or contact. Repairs, such as fixing damaged sheet metal, will be allowed; however, teams will be given five minutes to fix damage once they enter pit road. If the damage requires the car to go behind pit wall or to the garage for repairs, the car will not be allowed to return to the race. Also, if the repairs take longer than the five minutes allowed, the car will not be permitted to return to the race. Once repairs have been made, a car is still required to maintain the minimum speed determined for that event. Once that has been accomplished, the five-minute clock is reset in case the car needs to come back down pit road.
Previously, teams were allowed to replace any damaged panels or parts with no time limit and no penalty. Quarter panels, splitters, hoods and deck lids damaged in accidents were often removed and replaced. Some repairs were completed on pit road; more extensive damage often meant a trip to the garage. Each time, the driver was sent back out onto the track as quickly as possible. Scott Miller, NASCAR senior vice president of competition said the move is to help officials, who didn't often see what goes on in the garage but can better observe repairs on pit road. Safety is a crucial component of the policy, and for any vehicle undergoing repairs, the integrity of the safety systems "must be maintained." Teams will be allowed to correct mechanical or electrical failures that aren't the result of an accident or contact without penalty. Such repairs may be done on pit road or in the garage area, and the five-minute clock will not be in play in those instances. "We're not going to tell a guy who breaks his transmission at Watkins Glen or Pocono, for instance, and coasts into the garage area that he's out," Miller said. "Because that doesn't create an unsafe situation; that is a mechanical failure. It's more about crashed vehicles and all that is involved with that, from the crew guys to the drivers to dropping more debris on the track, which always happens. ... So there are exceptions for mechanical failures, those things can be rectified in the garage. That's going to be up to the series director's discretion to make those calls, but it's not going to be that difficult."
There will be modifications to at least two pit-road penalties under the policy for those making repairs. Any driver receiving a pit-road speeding penalty (entry or exit) will lose 15 seconds from the five-minute clock. Any team sending too many men over the wall will result in that car being removed from the race. When a car is damaged and repairs are made on pit road, teams know they will be at the tail end of the longest line, so extra men often go over the wall. (Each team is allowed six to work on the car and one to service the driver and/or windshield.)(NASCAR)(2-8-2017)

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:38 pm

Not exactly sponsor friendly having your car DQ'd instead of circling the track for 3 hours.

Are they trying to piss off everyone?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:42 pm

Brian France makes Gary Bettman look like Pete Rozelle.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:05 pm

What the? 5 minute repair clock or you're out of the race. And it all has to be on pit road. Speed, you only get 4:45. Too many men over the wall? Out of the race. No more behind the wall for wreck damage. But they will allow it for mechanical failure! Really doesn't make much sense at all.

This is almost the last straw on the death of consistency and the value of every single point in NASCAR.

NASCAR announces updated damaged vehicle policy: NASCAR officials unveiled a new Damaged Vehicle Policy on Wednesday at the sanctioning body's Research & Development Center, a policy that will be enforced in all three national series -- Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, XFINITY Series and Camping World Truck Series. Under the guidelines, teams no longer will be allowed to replace damaged body parts that are the result of accidents or contact. Repairs, such as fixing damaged sheet metal, will be allowed; however, teams will be given five minutes to fix damage once they enter pit road. If the damage requires the car to go behind pit wall or to the garage for repairs, the car will not be allowed to return to the race. Also, if the repairs take longer than the five minutes allowed, the car will not be permitted to return to the race. Once repairs have been made, a car is still required to maintain the minimum speed determined for that event. Once that has been accomplished, the five-minute clock is reset in case the car needs to come back down pit road.
Previously, teams were allowed to replace any damaged panels or parts with no time limit and no penalty. Quarter panels, splitters, hoods and deck lids damaged in accidents were often removed and replaced. Some repairs were completed on pit road; more extensive damage often meant a trip to the garage. Each time, the driver was sent back out onto the track as quickly as possible. Scott Miller, NASCAR senior vice president of competition said the move is to help officials, who didn't often see what goes on in the garage but can better observe repairs on pit road. Safety is a crucial component of the policy, and for any vehicle undergoing repairs, the integrity of the safety systems "must be maintained." Teams will be allowed to correct mechanical or electrical failures that aren't the result of an accident or contact without penalty. Such repairs may be done on pit road or in the garage area, and the five-minute clock will not be in play in those instances. "We're not going to tell a guy who breaks his transmission at Watkins Glen or Pocono, for instance, and coasts into the garage area that he's out," Miller said. "Because that doesn't create an unsafe situation; that is a mechanical failure. It's more about crashed vehicles and all that is involved with that, from the crew guys to the drivers to dropping more debris on the track, which always happens. ... So there are exceptions for mechanical failures, those things can be rectified in the garage. That's going to be up to the series director's discretion to make those calls, but it's not going to be that difficult."
There will be modifications to at least two pit-road penalties under the policy for those making repairs. Any driver receiving a pit-road speeding penalty (entry or exit) will lose 15 seconds from the five-minute clock. Any team sending too many men over the wall will result in that car being removed from the race. When a car is damaged and repairs are made on pit road, teams know they will be at the tail end of the longest line, so extra men often go over the wall. (Each team is allowed six to work on the car and one to service the driver and/or windshield.)(NASCAR)(2-8-2017)
Don't understand why not mechanical (safety or not). I really don't have a complaint about the rule though, it doesn't seem to hurt "the show."
What it may do, is create an unsafe pit road. Can you imagine the cluster at Martinsville after a pile up as 10 teams try to repair in the five minute window on a cramped pit road? I'd force them to the garage and give them a 5:00 clock from when they get there instead.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:13 pm

And I thought the rules were shambolic in F1....

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:13 pm

I've gotten roped into throwing a Daytona 500 party this year.

We were planning on doing some bets (leader at the half, first to crash, winner) and I'm looking for other suggestions or ideas for things to do/eat.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:15 pm

I've gotten roped into throwing a Daytona 500 party this year.

We were planning on doing some bets (leader at the half, first to crash, winner) and I'm looking for other suggestions or ideas for things to do/eat.
First to crash may not be a good idea, because it's more than likely it will be a multi-car wreck (unless it's one of the scrubs at the back of the field). They could just split the pot though.

I like this idea--a pool has to how many times "the big one" is referenced by the broadcast crew from the green flag to the checkers.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:27 am

relantel

Postby relantel » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:00 pm

So Pole day was at least the same, well, the same as recent years anyway. But the DVR did not pick up the reschedule of the Shootout. So I watched none of it.

Nice to see Earnhardt back in the car, and with speed.

Assume they are still doing nighttime duels like the last two years?

I wonder why NASCAR still can't fathom that a large swath of fans want things the way they were? Where every race had meaning and there weren't any gimmicks? Where qualifying was the best car, single car, every time. And go back to the second round qualifying the old way, where only the top 25 get locked in day 1 and the others have a chance to improve their position. (Earnhardt Sr was a master of that). Where sometimes the track record holder could start 26th on the field.

But I don't think they'll admit the Chase was a mistake. That the point system change was a mistake. (Inasmuch as they've junked the 1 point per position scheme this year signals that - we were told it was to simplify it. And now they've made it so complex even the die-hards will take some time to understand it.

It's almost as if they've killed the old Cup series and made a new one. With the rules so far different, they ought to keep separate stats.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:17 pm

It's almost as if they've killed the old Cup series and made a new one.
:fist:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:30 pm

The dropoff since France began tinkering with the points format is incredible. Would NASCAR likely have suffered in the downturn? Sure. But there's no way it would be in the shape it's in if, as relantel said, the races still meant something. His grandfather would flog him if he was alive. Hell, his father would flog him if he was alive. He has completely destroyed something that I used to absolutely love.

I completely forgot the Shootout was this past Saturday, and I was home. I used to anticipate that all through winter, and was one of my favorite races of the year. Damn him. DAMN HIM.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:22 pm

The Daytona 500 was always President's Day weekend. #ButFrance

That WSJ article I shared makes it sound like Brian and Kathleen abhor one another and NASCAR is being destroyed over sibling squabble.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:31 pm

The Daytona 500 was always President's Day weekend. #ButFrance

That WSJ article I shared makes it sound like Brian and Kathleen abhor one another and NASCAR is being destroyed over sibling squabble.
Certainly seems that way.

And yes, I was surprised it wasn't President's Day weekend, I used to love not having to work the next day.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:20 pm

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:24 am

This article nails the problem with Brian France and why he must go.

http://jeffgluck.com/brian-france-nasca ... t-journal/

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:10 pm

No 500 discussion? Yup it's still that exciting. I am at lap 10 of *gag* Stage 1 and am ready for a nap.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:42 pm

My dad, NASCAR guy going back to the late 1960's literally forgot it was on.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:50 pm

7 laps of caution after each Stage is a de facto sponsor break. So ugly.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:56 pm

Running order with 53 to go at #Daytona500: A.Dillon, Kahne, Logano, McDowell, Menard, Larson, Truex, Almirola, Bayne, Sadler.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:57 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:04 pm

This new format is trash.