Restaurant Recommendations

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:32 pm

Bakersfield has dece quality, but their tacos somehow got even smaller coming out of the pandemic.
Last edited by meecrofilm on Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:33 pm

What didn’t you like about Fogo?
Biggest issue was the actual food. It just did not warrant the price (even keeping the buffet value of it in mind). Pretty much all of the meat brought around was well overdone. I get when it's not made to order it needs to be closer to a consensus preference, but within reason. The sides shouldn't outweigh the main courses. There were other things, like waiting half an hour for the table to be ready (you'd think a 5:30 res would be pretty safe from that), and cocktails taking forever since they didn't have the espresso machine up and running (weird since that's an element of some of their dessert cocktails).

We did get a free steak at least (we had a large group, so a couple peeps got the shareable steaks instead). Was ordered medium-rare, was received well done (legitimately no pink anywhere). Not usually one for sending things back, but at that price, it's a no-brainer. Then the replacement was brought to the table next to us and almost served until someone swooped in at the last moment. And after all that....it was just fine. At least that was comped.

So yeah...when you're dropping that much coin, I'd prefer a little more well-oiled of an operation and overall quality.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:35 pm

That's pretty surprising as we've never had anything but good experiences there. Meat is usually medium rare to medium and if you want it cooked more it's usually a special request.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:36 pm

That's pretty surprising as we've never had anything but good experiences there. Meat is usually medium rare to medium and if you want it cooked more it's usually a special request.
This has been my experience with Fogo every time I’ve gone, which is more than just a handful of times.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:37 pm

Yeah, who knows. It's funny reading reviews, most of them say that, and then there are few where it was similar to ours (noting how most was overdone). It's more surprising in that I'd think a chain like that would have everything regulated down to a T.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:16 pm

Bakersfield has dece quality, but their tacos somehow got even smaller coming out of the pandemic.

At least they're only 4 bucks a taco, but yeah, they're tiny and nowhere near enough.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:31 pm

At least they're only 4 bucks a taco, but yeah, they're tiny and nowhere near enough.
I usually order 4 and end up taking one home. They’re my favorite of the fancy-ish taco joints around town.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:33 pm

Don't get me wrong, they taste great (they had Bistec on special which was excellent, and my favorite of the regulars is the chorizo y papas), but I ordered 3 the last time I was there, then stopped for more food on the way home.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:37 pm

Yeah they definitely could be bigger. We normally get the chips and trio dips along with black beans so with the sides I’m usually pretty full.

Side note: Tako sucks.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:44 pm

Bakersfield needs better tortillas but in general their tacos are good. Love their tortas though.

And yes, tako sucks.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:41 am

@NAN @Kane there’s a new, pretty good Mediterranean restaurant in Gibsonia. Emily’s Turkish Mediterranean Grill near Barrel Junction. Just had the chicken döner and it was delightful.
I saw that when I was picking up Lins Garden. Going to have to try it out.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:21 am

doce tacqueria for life

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:06 am

Duos Taqueria in the Duolingo building are pretty amazing

Kane

Postby Kane » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:11 am

@NAN @Kane there’s a new, pretty good Mediterranean restaurant in Gibsonia. Emily’s Turkish Mediterranean Grill near Barrel Junction. Just had the chicken döner and it was delightful.
I saw that when I was picking up Lins Garden. Going to have to try it out.
The menu looks like legit Mediterranean food. Gonna have to get me a kabob.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:05 pm

@count2infinity

Blonde Bistro in Zion was recommended pretty highly to me. You been there? It used to be in Axemann right?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:37 pm

So, I have mixed feelings about Blonde Bistro...

She had her own place in downtown Bellefonte. She served up some really good dishes there and then it went to sh*t after about a year or two. The food and service went way downhill. She then moved to Axemann. That was aweful. I don't know if the kitchen just didn't work right for her or what, but the food was terri-bad. Meanwhile, she served up some phenomenal wings at the outdoor wingsfest events that are held at Tussey. Really tasty stuff.

I have not been to their new place. Just haven't been motivated to go as I've been pretty consistently let down in the past by her businesses with the occasional spark of goodness. If you do go, please let me know how you like it.

If you've not been to Big Spring yet, I recommend that. Meghan has phenomenal food on a really small menu and it's super quick. The hummus is life changingly good. Also, Titan Hollow is a good one to hit up. The food and cider are great. I've heard really good things about the new people at the Red Horse in pleasant gap too. The old owners moved into the blond bistro's spot at Axemann and a new guy from NYC moved into the red horse. I've heard many people say it's good stuff.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:40 pm

Interesting. I haven’t had anything from her at any of her stops but I did have some wings at wing fest which were good.
I always thought the old red horse was solid but I’ve also heard the new one is really good

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:29 am

Monterey Bay Fish Grotto: you're paying for the view, and it's an expensive view.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:30 am

We've enjoyed the times we've gone. We go about once every 5 years.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:33 am

It's at least better than Le Mont. Problem is when you're paying $250 for two people to eat dinner, my expectations are pretty damn high.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:13 pm

lemont is great if you are over 70 years old

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:23 am

We have to run a car load of high school kids into tahn tonight for a rehearsal. Mrs. F and I have between 6:30 and 9:30 to kill. Looking for a mid-level place with good food, environment where we can take our time and linger a while, doesn't have to be cheap but not too expensive either. Doesn't have to have good drinks because, well, we're hauling a carload of kids around. Someplace downtown or not too far. Strip, South Side, North Side, McKnight Road.... Just standard American food pretty much.

Figure the day after Valentines Day might be a good day to find places not crowded....

LITT

Postby LITT » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:33 am

coop deville in the strip is pretty good. an arsenal of arcade games and duck pin bowling too to pass time

LITT

Postby LITT » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:33 am

con alma in shadyside has jazz tonight starting at 630

LITT

Postby LITT » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:34 am

eddie v's lounge has the chantal joseph trio starting at 630 too