Movie Thread

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 19, 2022 3:22 pm

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu May 19, 2022 6:20 pm

Well finally watched Aliens and Alien 3 today.

Aliens - good balance of slow burn and action. Very watchable.

Alien 3 - Trope city. It was Con-Air without the charisma.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 19, 2022 6:32 pm

I will say this on repeat for all time: There is an excellent gothic horror movie locked up inside of Alien3, and I really wish the filmmakers had found it.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri May 20, 2022 6:41 am

Yeah, I was reluctant to devote 3 hrs of cinema time to The Batman, and now that I've seen it on the TV I really wish I had.
Go on, let's get the full tif review please.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:17 pm

Aer Lingus had a decent movie selection...watched a few:

Belfast: Outstanding. Beautifully shot, great performances, and a really nice snapshot of late 1960s Belfast.

Moonfall: This movie was utterly ridiculous, but I admit, I had a blast watching it.

Also watched Caddyshack in its entirety...and I realized I have never watched it straight through. Just utter comedic genius. That might be one of my favorite Chevy Chase roles, he is so bizarre and off the wall.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:52 pm

The Batman

From a nuts-and-bolts movie making perspective it is already one of my top 10 films of ever.
It is certainly my net favorite Batman film, which is saying a lot, given that this is the same world in which The Dark Knight exists. All elements - directing, acting, cinematography, sound, music, costume and art....... I'm sure the craft services were top notch, too. Everyone brought their frickin' A-game, and it's glorious.

- In retrospect the trailers establish the concept well enough, but I was still taken aback by the horror film nature of the portrayal; Bats is less Caped Crusader and more Jason Voorhees in the way he's shown persistently stalking his prey. Like "You can't run from me, because I'm in your mind and you will take me with you wherever you go. And when I do catch you, it will be just so terrible." It was such a brilliantly unnerving touch.

- We see Batman from criminals' POV as a predator. But when he enters a crime scene we see it from Bats' POV as the GCPD look on in shock/wonder/surprise/contempt. Totally captures the mindset.

- Musically speaking, The Batman main theme and Something In The Way are the same harmonic structure in different key centers (i - bVI, if you're playing Beato Bingo at home). Michael Giacchino says he didn't know Reeves was leaning into Nirvana/Kurt Cobain as a muse at the time he wrote the theme (which was so long ago they were apparently able to play the orchestral suite for Pattinson's screen test), so this is sort of a remarkable mash up.

- There are certain film moments I'd love the chance to experience for the first time again. The opening 90 seconds of Star Wars; the breathless silence when the music stops after the first fight in Crouching Tiger; the Chestburster; "For Frodo"; you could make an entire list of these moments just from Spielberg films;............. The reveal of the Batmobile in this film was pure hair raising exhilaration. Please inject this stuff directly into my spinal fluid.

- Fresh take on Alfred Pennyworth, at least to me. The idea of him as Thomas Wayne's bodyguard, and then as Bruce's fighty/beat-people-up mentor was cool. It creates some potential hangups (if that's the right word) for the relationship between Bruce and Alfred if the character ages are accurate to the actors, but that's okay. Just show me the Batmobile again and I'll forget about it.

- Similarly this is the first Batman that I genuinely believe as a guy who has spent years of his life living in the night. All pale and pasty and kinda gross tbh. Probably has really bad BO. I've said that I prefer the Batman-wears-a-Bruce-mask take on the character, and this was perfection. (He even uses his Bruce mask the first time he infiltrates The Iceberg Lounge)

- Riddler is creepy AF. Some pretty standard serial killer motivations, but that makes it more believable. Plus I like how they play the interrogation scene with some ambiguity - is Riddler just fixated on Bruce Wayne as an embodiment of his tormet? Does he suspect (or know of) the link between Bruce and Bats? Tune in next week!

- There are a small few moments where the action becomes cartoonish and too obviously CG, and it very nearly undermined the extensive efforts taken to ground the story in a sense of a real world. And similarly there are a few plot points that sort of beggar belief in a "super easy, barely an inconvenience" kind of way. Haven't watched the Pitch Meeting yet, so we'll see if Ryan George agrees with me.

- The deleted scene with Joker is fabulous, but it's a deleted scene so it doesn't count (disappearing paper clips and all). I like that the official clip of it on HBO Max has it edited into continuity with the preceding scene (the discovery of the rat maze riddle) to give it context.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:56 pm

Aer Lingus had a decent movie selection...watched a few:

Belfast
:shock:

You know how carriers tend to shy away from in-flight movies that depict airplane crashes? Yeah....

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri May 20, 2022 1:35 pm

The Batman

From a nuts-and-bolts movie making perspective it is already one of my top 10 films of ever.
It is certainly my net favorite Batman film, which is saying a lot, given that this is the same world in which The Dark Knight exists. All elements - directing, acting, cinematography, sound, music, costume and art....... I'm sure the craft services were top notch, too. Everyone brought their frickin' A-game, and it's glorious.

- In retrospect the trailers establish the concept well enough, but I was still taken aback by the horror film nature of the portrayal; Bats is less Caped Crusader and more Jason Voorhees in the way he's shown persistently stalking his prey. Like "You can't run from me, because I'm in your mind and you will take me with you wherever you go. And when I do catch you, it will be just so terrible." It was such a brilliantly unnerving touch.

- We see Batman from criminals' POV as a predator. But when he enters a crime scene we see it from Bats' POV as the GCPD look on in shock/wonder/surprise/contempt. Totally captures the mindset.

- Musically speaking, The Batman main theme and Something In The Way are the same harmonic structure in different key centers (i - bVI, if you're playing Beato Bingo at home). Michael Giacchino says he didn't know Reeves was leaning into Nirvana/Kurt Cobain as a muse at the time he wrote the theme (which was so long ago they were apparently able to play the orchestral suite for Pattinson's screen test), so this is sort of a remarkable mash up.

- There are certain film moments I'd love the chance to experience for the first time again. The opening 90 seconds of Star Wars; the breathless silence when the music stops after the first fight in Crouching Tiger; the Chestburster; "For Frodo"; you could make an entire list of these moments just from Spielberg films;............. The reveal of the Batmobile in this film was pure hair raising exhilaration. Please inject this stuff directly into my spinal fluid.

- Fresh take on Alfred Pennyworth, at least to me. The idea of him as Thomas Wayne's bodyguard, and then as Bruce's fighty/beat-people-up mentor was cool. It creates some potential hangups (if that's the right word) for the relationship between Bruce and Alfred if the character ages are accurate to the actors, but that's okay. Just show me the Batmobile again and I'll forget about it.

- Similarly this is the first Batman that I genuinely believe as a guy who has spent years of his life living in the night. All pale and pasty and kinda gross tbh. Probably has really bad BO. I've said that I prefer the Batman-wears-a-Bruce-mask take on the character, and this was perfection. (He even uses his Bruce mask the first time he infiltrates The Iceberg Lounge)

- Riddler is creepy AF. Some pretty standard serial killer motivations, but that makes it more believable. Plus I like how they play the interrogation scene with some ambiguity - is Riddler just fixated on Bruce Wayne as an embodiment of his tormet? Does he suspect (or know of) the link between Bruce and Bats? Tune in next week!

- There are a small few moments where the action becomes cartoonish and too obviously CG, and it very nearly undermined the extensive efforts taken to ground the story in a sense of a real world. And similarly there are a few plot points that sort of beggar belief in a "super easy, barely an inconvenience" kind of way. Haven't watched the Pitch Meeting yet, so we'll see if Ryan George agrees with me.

- The deleted scene with Joker is fabulous, but it's a deleted scene so it doesn't count (disappearing paper clips and all). I like that the official clip of it on HBO Max has it edited into continuity with the preceding scene (the discovery of the rat maze riddle) to give it context.
Great stuff tif, glad you liked it!

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri May 20, 2022 1:36 pm

Yep, can't wait

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 20, 2022 10:57 pm

How did I not know this? Christopher Lee was a fraud?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/who-dares-lies/amp

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sat May 21, 2022 9:46 am

Stop that

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 21, 2022 11:49 am

Stop that
I was disappointed too.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sat May 21, 2022 11:54 am

Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Movie Thread

Postby meow » Sat May 21, 2022 12:25 pm

Short Circuit is on Prime. You know where I’ll be for the next 90 minutes.

Kane

Movie Thread

Postby Kane » Sat May 21, 2022 4:31 pm

Wouldn't you like to be a pepper, too?

Sam's Drunk Dog

Movie Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sat May 21, 2022 6:47 pm

Hey laserlips! Your mother was a snowblower!

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat May 21, 2022 8:49 pm

Los locos kick your ass
Los locos kick your face
Los logos kick your balls into outer spaaace!

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat May 21, 2022 11:42 pm

Chip and Dale :thumb:

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 22, 2022 7:18 am

We watched it for family movie night last night, wasn’t bad.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 22, 2022 7:40 am

My BiL recommended this to me yesterday.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon May 23, 2022 9:11 am

Watched Escape from NY 4k disc and it's top notch. Family enjoyed it very much. Also watch The Lost City and it was fine. Didn't really think Tatum and Bullock had any chemistry, would have been better to keep Brad Pitt in it and Channing out.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon May 23, 2022 9:13 am

Operation Mincemeat was very good. Great cast, including the lovely Kelly MacDonald. Might have been better as a limited series, but worked as a two hour film.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon May 23, 2022 7:59 pm

Multiverse of Madness… hard meh.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon May 23, 2022 8:00 pm

My BiL recommended this to me yesterday.
The abominations that are gadget and zippers kids are kinda dark IMO.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 23, 2022 9:05 pm

Multiverse of Madness… hard meh.
Buddy of mine said it was his least favorite MCU movie to date.