2016 World Junior Championships

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:41 am

Anyone else get up early to watch...?

Perhaps not, the Pens have no players involved...Montreal is the only other NHL club that has no representatives...

Russia v Czech Republic at 7 am
Switzerland v Sweden at 9 am
Finland v Belarus at 11 am
Canada v USA at 1 pm

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:22 am

Decent game so far. Czech team looks like every Czech team ever made. Russians turned up the heat half way through the third.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:26 am

Slow start. Russia has one of the least technically skilled teams they have had in some time I feel like. Kamenev looks dominant. Good work from the fourth line of Lauta-Fazleyev-Dergachyov...Czechs led by Spacek all over the ice...let's see if losing Zboril to a questionable 5+game early hurts them as the Russians turn it up...

meow

Postby meow » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:39 am

I wish Miller was paired with Ferraro. Gord Miller and Chicken Parm is my dream team

meow

Postby meow » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:41 am

That's a big time hit from Egli. Wow

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:43 am

I wish Miller was paired with Ferraro. Gord Miller and Chicken Parm is my dream team
They are for Group A. Dennis Beyak (TSN Jets) and Craig Button for B...

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:45 am

That's a big time hit from Egli. Wow
Yeah, he creamed Nylander. Suspension coming for Egli. Swiss aren't soft anymore I guess. Two Swiss ejected in the first. Another major to kill off, the Swiss don't need this...

meow

Postby meow » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:45 am

That was Beyak? Sounded just like Miller.

At least my dream has come true. It's a festivus miracle.

meow

Postby meow » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:52 am

I typically think the IIHF over officiates games, but they might have a tough time keeping a lid on this one if they don't keep the boxes filled

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:59 am

Agree. I often think they are overly officiated too. But they have done a pretty fair job through 5 periods. Didn't care much for the major board on Zboril. That's a two maybe. Especially so early. Other than that, they've done well. They'll have their hands full and the Swedes will likely bury the distracted Swiss by at least 5...

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:15 pm

Agree. I often think they are overly officiated too. But they have done a pretty fair job through 5 periods. Didn't care much for the major board on Zboril. That's a two maybe. Especially so early. Other than that, they've done well. They'll have their hands full and the Swedes will likely bury the distracted Swiss by at least 5...
D**n. Two injuries to our players. Nylander might have a concussion :fp And at least one other player that left the ice bleeding.

This was a game that we should have won anyway, but the injuries are so unnecessary in a game such as this and might cost Sweden a medal :(

meow

Postby meow » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:28 pm

If McDonald had his gloves on the proper hands, he probably makes that save.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:38 pm

D**n. Two injuries to our players. Nylander might have a concussion :fp And at least one other player that left the ice bleeding.

This was a game that we should have won anyway, but the injuries are so unnecessary in a game such as this and might cost Sweden a medal :(
Yeah, rough go of it for the Swedes on the injury list today. Nylander and Kempe taking high and pretty cheap hits from an uncharacteristically emotional Swiss group today. Sweden, with some goaltending, is in contention to win this thing with their skater depth and top end skill...would be tough without two of their best though...

Edit: Plus Eriksson-Ek went out too. A good worker who can be a mid range scorer.
Last edited by mikey on Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:39 pm

Yeah? Maybe a little slow to get back to his post, sure. But bad bounce or bad anticipation ya think?

meow

Postby meow » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:53 pm

Yeah? Maybe a little slow to get back to his post, sure. But bad bounce or bad anticipation ya think?
I'm just salty at all full-rights. Bad push and a bit slow on the reaction.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:00 pm

Yeah, rough go of it for the Swedes on the injury list today. Nylander and Kempe taking high and pretty cheap hits from an uncharacteristically emotional Swiss group today. Sweden, with some goaltending, is in contention to win this thing with their skater depth and top end skill...would be tough without two of their best though...

Edit: Plus Eriksson-Ek went out too. A good worker who can be a mid range scorer.
Yeah, we have quite much offensive firepower when healthy, but a bit suspect defense/goaltending. So we will see. The game against USA will show how good our team really is...

meow

Postby meow » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:04 pm

That's more emotion I've seen from Strome than in the 50+ games I've seen him live. I didn't know he knew how to celebrate.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:24 pm

Agreed. He was a factor for sure. Visible throughout.

meow

Postby meow » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:21 pm

9-1 US over SUI not even half way through the 2nd.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:44 am

Incredible game between Russia and Denmark believe it or not...wow...

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:15 pm

Incredible game between Russia and Denmark believe it or not...wow...
Yeah, a pity that Denmark lost :(

What do you think about Finland's two offensive stars - Puljujärvi and Laine? I believe that they will go pretty early in the draft this year...

Finland vs Sweden will be interesting and one part of our shut-down-pair (Mattsson) left the arena on crutches :(

USA VS Russia will also be nice to see. A final without Canada is quite rare...

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:27 pm

The Finns have the best team in the tournament. I thought they would win gold coming in, and they are a steamroll. Laine and Puljujarvi are incredible. Likely top-5 picks in the draft. Some people were down on Puljujarvi coming in because they look at the stats...this is some kind of player. 18 months go or so, I thought he might be the #1 overall prospect for 2016 Draft. Now, of course, you got Auston Matthews, but I don't think the difference between these players is so great that it's insurmountable to be quite honest...

The Finns seldom have a game breaker talent...even here they get a guy back from the AHL in Mikko Rantanen, it's a really good player but he's like a lot of Finns...and there isn't this take over a game element to him...now the Finns have game changers: Puljujarvi, Laine, Saarijarvi, Aho...these guys can all play...in years past, you're probably looking at Mikko Rantanen, Roope Hintz and the like being top line players...now they are support players...though, the Finns are weaker than usual in net...I gotta think they go back Kaapo Kakhonen the Minnesota sixth rounder in the semifinal against their arch rivals...

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:32 pm

The Finns have the best team in the tournament. I thought they would win gold coming in, and they are a steamroll. Laine and Puljujarvi are incredible. Likely top-5 picks in the draft. Some people were down on Puljujarvi coming in because they look at the stats...this is some kind of player. 18 months go or so, I thought he might be the #1 overall prospect for 2016 Draft. Now, of course, you got Auston Matthews, but I don't think the difference between these players is so great that it's insurmountable to be quite honest...

The Finns seldom have a game breaker talent...even here they get a guy back from the AHL in Mikko Rantanen, it's a really good player but he's like a lot of Finns...and there isn't this take over a game element to him...now the Finns have game changers: Puljujarvi, Laine, Saarijarvi, Aho...these guys can all play...in years past, you're probably looking at Mikko Rantanen, Roope Hintz and the like being top line players...now they are support players...though, the Finns are weaker than usual in net...I gotta think they go back Kaapo Kakhonen the Minnesota sixth rounder in the semifinal against their arch rivals...
Ah... okaj. We will see. Fortunately, Sweden has one of the best goalkeepers in the tournament so far. Five allowed goals in five games is quite good. But he will have to play well against Finland. Their defensive is also a bit weak so I believe that Sweden has a chance...

I would not mind Laine or Puljujärvi on the Pens even though we have a lockjam at forward.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:38 pm

Yeah, those guys could play for my team any time.

Good luck in the semis.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:44 pm

Yeah, those guys could play for my team any time.

Good luck in the semis.
Thanks =)

Good luck to your team as well. Let's hope that we meet in the finals!