Craig

Non-Penguins NHL Games 2015-16

Postby Craig » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:38 pm

With 4 minutes left in the caps game i bet on caps -1.5 which was +190. Yay

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:42 pm

https://streamable.com/mdb1
Not a fan of the Wilson hit at all. Legal, but very... Wilson-esque. He lined that hit up a mile away & had no intention whatsoever to play the puck.

Again, I know it's legal.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:13 am

He stopped skating at the faceoff circle, tucked his elbow and kept his feet...the puck is being played by MoJo.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:09 am

Exactly, he's already being engaged - in this case, actually being held by Johansson as he goes across. Just seems like a hit that is pretty frickin' likely to give a concussion no matter who is in the circumstance.

But we're gonna disagree here too, mikey. No doubt about that, haha. :P

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:27 am

I can see it being termed as more "predatory" if he skates all the way through it. He is just cutting off the man with the disc on the forecheck. Zadorov never picks his head up and takes a shoulder in the chest as a result.

But yeah, i'm not asking anyone to like it, just stating that I do because he really doesn't try to kill him. Zadorov is a big dude too. And he clocked Wilson a few times in junior too...

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:41 am

What exactly is that hit going to do besides put Zadorov in a high chance to get injured? In the current NHL, it's gonna result in a scrum that stops the game & likely results in two people being sent off for roughing or something, removing a very legit scoring opportunity for the Caps. And it's not like it's a playoff series, where you're intentionally trying to wear down the opposing team in a 7-game series. It's the Avs, they're not even making the playoffs (most likely). It's a high chance of injury with no real net positive, except forcing Zadorov to learn to keep his head up by giving up an injury that will affect him for a lifetime.

I don't mind big hits. But I'm very much against the ones that are likely to injure, ESPECIALLY with concussions. We've been over this same discussion multiple times, though - the Maatta hit where the door was open, the Letang hit by Doan, etc. Different perspectives and all that. I'm guessing you're going to say something like "it's an unfortunate thing that Zadorov got injured, but it's a play that happens all the time."

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:59 am

The hit is to serve the same purpose that the very first hit served - to remove the man from the puck. And really, though surprisingly, nothing came from it in terms of a fight. Play was only stopped because Zadorov needed 30 seconds to collect himself...

Here's the thing, people bemoan the fact that suspensions and things are based on injury (see: Keith/Coyle) but then put their soapbox on someone like Zadorov's corpse...if Zadorov didn't have his head down while reaching for a puck coming from behind the net (probably the worst combination of things you can do in hockey, Lindros) and he turns and goes shoulder to shoulder with Wilson, everyone is fine...Zaddy gets up and gets on his way, Wilson accomplishes his mission...and play continues...but because Zadorov decides that the game only exists 3 inches in front of his face, he gets cleaned out...Wilson doesn't skate through him and jump and try to take his head clean off. He gets in position to where the puck is going to be, stops, establishes himself and Zadorov and he collide...

Sucks that Zadorov got banged up on the play...but what can Wilson not do there? He's a tank of a human, his best play is to use his body to remove players from the puck, so he just glides to where the puck is gonna be and there's a crash...someone even yells "heads up" - you can hear it on the broadcast...Zads doesn't listen, it's a rule you're taught when you're 8, don't do that. Sid doesn't get hit like that because his head is not down, players that touch the puck much more often than Zadorov does have far fewer slobberknockers per game than Zadorov takes or Lindros took or whoever else took because they constantly put themselves in grave danger...I don't mean to blame the victim here, but you can do a little better job protecting yourself than what Zadorov displays there...

I mean, switch it up, and it's John Carlson carrying the puck like that, he's engaged by John Mitchell on the turn and then here comes that Martiansen or whatever on Colorado...there's no YouTube video, there's no discussion, there's no injury because nothing happens...Carlson has his head up, so he either turns against the hit or nimbly avoids it all together...Zadorov commits a cardinal sin and gets crucified for it...cleanly too which makes it fine in my book...

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:51 am

..if Zadorov didn't have his head down while reaching for a puck coming from behind the net (probably the worst combination of things you can do in hockey, Lindros) and he turns and goes shoulder to shoulder with Wilson, everyone is fine...Zaddy gets up and gets on his way, Wilson accomplishes his mission...and play continues...but because Zadorov decides that the game only exists 3 inches in front of his face, he gets cleaned out...
That's all well and good, but Zadorov has a man riding his shoulder.... If I think if any rule should be changed, it should be stopping this kind of hit when the target is already engaged in some way with another player, and that only after much more consideration than I've taken of now (as in I wouldn't be hasty to make that change, but I would start looking at it).

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:19 pm

That's not unfair, but I think Wilson commits to that play before MoJo becomes engaged with Zadorov...it's not like MoJo is attached to Zadorov all around the rink, I think he picks him up at the post...but sure, if you want to figure out a way to enforce a rule like that, I'd listen...probably tougher than you think though...

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:44 pm

No offense, mikey, but this **** about "teaching Zadorov a lesson" & "Zadorov commits a cardinal sin and gets crucified for it" is one of the main reasons that show the NHL doesn't actually care for the health of its players as much as "the integrity of the sport." You speak just like Bettman or any of the older guard in the NHL. I'm glad you want to defend the "right way to play" but I'm more concerned about Zadorov potentially committing suicide at age 40 because of concussions, struggling with depression the rest of his life, etc. Again, this is where we're disagreeing - I think reducing concussions and other head injuries as much as possible should come far above "playing the game the right way," with the NHL stamping down hard on these sort of dangerous hits (especially boards) and stupid acts (like Keith's tomahawk). You think that Zadorov should've played the right way & prevented the injury in the first place.

I'm reserving judgment until the report of the injury comes out, but saying that "Zadorov needed 30 seconds to collect himself" when he was completely clocked & disoriented... well, it sounds very NHL-esque. Caring more about some ideal sport than the players themselves.

Meanwhile, there's this:
Alex Mogilny, Paul Kariya and Rob Niedermayer are among 372 former National Hockey League players linked to workers compensation payouts in California since 2008 for head injuries they suffered during their playing career, newly-disclosed data shows. Data from California’s Department of Industrial Relations, obtained by TSN under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act, reveals that 431 NHL players were tied to workers compensation payouts since 2008.

Of those, 372 – 86 per cent of the overall claims - involved benefits for injuries that included head trauma, the data shows. Other former players linked to benefits for head injuries include Darcy Tucker, Esa Tikkanen and Bryan Trottier.

The disclosure about the number of payouts offers more evidence about how widespread head injuries in the NHL have been in recent years.
What can Wilson do there? I dunno, have half a brain, see that Zadorov has been tied up by Johansson, & just take the puck in order to give the Caps a really good scoring chance with puck control behind the net & Wilson's momentum going completely against the current grain of play. There's no way Zadorov stops him from getting it, and Soderberg is already coming across the front of the net so he'd be in no position to defend Wilson. Wilson would've had a really good scoring chance, or at least been able to set up a lengthy shift in the offensive zone.

Instead, it's just another concussed player. Another head injury.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:05 pm

None taken. And I don't vehemently disagree even. But at what point do you need to take responsibility for your own actions...? If Wilson just goes in there like a ballet dancer and tries to peck the puck away...well, Zadorov is coming around the net with momentum and perhaps another player, Zadorov alone is 6'5, 220 lbs....so what happens to Wilson if he isn't braced impact and he plays nothing but puck...? We're scraping his brain (or half of it, as it were) off the surface too now...and if he leaves him alone, he's benched. And for good reason, this is an easy zone exit rejection...I get that some people that some people don't like the idea of the hit, but what should happen...if Wilson goes for that puck, there's still gonna be a car crash because Zadorov isn't paying any attention...can he not play that puck or that man and leave a fruitless p**** boy like Marcus Johansson to get Nikita Zadorov :lol: ...that's just never gonna happen at any level. I'm sorry to say.

Craig

Postby Craig » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:00 pm

If youre an idiot that doesnt protect themself, the nhl already offers you too much protection. They dont need to take away even more accountability.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:16 pm

Whoever predicted Boston as the last team out the other day, it's looking that way. Getting crushed by Chicago, and NYI and Philly both will have two games in hand after this game.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:47 pm

The Blackhawks have fallen asleep with a 6-0 lead at home...and rightfully so, to a degree...with 10:09 left, it's 6-4...mamma mia...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:04 pm

I said that without looking at schedules. Even though Boston is down a game, they have Carolina, Detroit, Ottawa. Not exactly murders row. That Detroit game might be a blood bath

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:02 am

#Isles announce emergency recall of goaltender Christopher Gibson. Jean-Francois Berube is hurt, along with Jaroslav Halak.
The Isles are in serious trouble.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:08 am

Is Halak scheduled to be back for playoffs?

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:08 am

He'll likely miss the first round, if applicable...

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:10 am

What happened to Jesus Greiss?

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:11 am

He's still there. But they need a goalie that gets hit with the puck right now...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:12 am

He'll be in net tonight, apparently.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:12 pm

Conflicted here because I think the Flyers can beat the Caps. Pretty certain the Wings can't.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:32 pm

Flyers are going to get the Caps if they get in anyhow. I think Boston is the odd team out.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:45 pm

Flyers are going to get the Caps if they get in anyhow. I think Boston is the odd team out.
I mean it wouldn't bother me if Philly got the 8 seed.
don't hate me, dish ;)

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:47 pm

After tonight, the Red Wings will clinch the tiebreaker over the Bruins. Those two teams will meet in a huge game tomorrow night in Boston. If Detroit wins in regulation, I'm fairly certain that eliminates Boston, no? However, if Boston wins, Detroit has to travel to play the Rangers on Saturday, while the Bruins get to host the reeling Senators.

I think if the Bruins can win tomorrow, they'll hang on over the weekend leaving the Red Wings out by a point or two.