Game Center, Center Ice, etc.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:56 pm

Since we always have discussions surrounding the various options:

As with the other sports, Comcast STILLL doesn't offer HD. Weak and I won't pay for SD.

I do wonder what will happen with Game Center, in relation to the MLB deal. Better or worse? And what's up with maybe just paying for one team?

The Rage Center site appears to have bitten the dust.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:59 pm

I imagine it will get better with the deal with MLB, but I'm not sure about this year

I will be doing hockeystreams.com again this year (1 year for 109.99)

and that's no blackouts, actual live streams (unlike Gamecenter), full playoffs and with other leagues

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:24 pm

Imagine if GameCenter Live had the choice of TV, radio, or ambient arena sounds for audio streams for NHL broadcasts, like MLB.tv on (at least) Playstation. <faints>

What kind of delay does Hockeystreams have with Chromecast?

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:46 pm

Ragecenter still exists, but in a different form and it takes some effort to make it happen. Though, I have not used it since the summer.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:57 pm

I tried opening Ragecenter today (before I left for the game) and got a 404 not found.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:07 am

Imagine if GameCenter Live had the choice of TV, radio, or ambient arena sounds for audio streams for NHL broadcasts, like MLB.tv on (at least) Playstation. <faints>

What kind of delay does Hockeystreams have with Chromecast?
It's maybe a minute or so (same if on mobile).
It's currently not possible to reduce the delay on chromecast because it uses HLS, which has a 30-60 second delay. Same as Roku/Mobile.

Still 2 minutes faster than Gamecenter

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:23 am

I assume hockeystreams.com is not a site authorized by the NHL, which means it is only a matter of time before it's shut down.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:34 am

Ragecenter has like a java applet of some kind that you can download and work with. I had it late last season, worked very well.

hockeystreams, I believe, is located in another country that the NHL is having trouble shutting down it in...so while it might be only a "matter of time" but that matter of time has been a few years already and uninterrupted to the best of my knowledge...

tfrizz

Postby tfrizz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:35 am

hockeystreams, I believe, is located in another country that the NHL is having trouble shutting down it in...so while it might be only a "matter of time" but that matter of time has been a few years already and uninterrupted to the best of my knowledge...
It's based out of the Netherlands. I know a lot of people that have been using it for years and talk about how great it is.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:41 am

I used it last year with no problem. I guess I'm setting myself up to getting screwed, but it's $60 cheaper plus you get playoffs and other stuff so it's worth it, in my opinion.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:02 am

I use hockeystreams as well. I really enjoy it for the DVR ability, watch any game, at any time. They also have AHL, CHL, and some Olympics. I started using it last year, but I would suspect it might not last much longer with the MLB coming in, I know they cracked down hard on their footage on YouTube.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:20 am

The NHL - in its first positive marketing move in recorded history - has suggested that MLBAM not touch the existing content...now, how far they go with that, I don't know...but there's at least some hope, as the NHL desperately needs something like YouTube as a "partner" as the NHL itself fails to show off its game in any effective manner...

I have recently used copyrighted NHL footage in YouTube videos and they don't really mess with you if you let them put their ads on it...which is fair enough.
What we should not see is a clamping down on the cottage industry of YouTube videos and instant GIFs posted to social media. MLB has silenced these as a contravention of its copyrights, but the NHL has allowed them to exist because it recognizes the value they have in advancing conversation about the sport. Since the NHL—and not MLBAM—will continue to have control over that decision, no one involved in the production of these video hits should expect a cease-and-desist letter any time soon.
http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/08/04/nhl-ml ... ip-details

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:22 am

thank god. Baseball already had the bonus of being a super popular sport. NHL still needs to grow its fanbase

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:41 pm

Can you stream hockeystreams through an Xbox? I'm trying to decide between that and GameCenter. I like the lack of delay and more games that hockeystreams provides, but if I can't play it through my Xbox it'll likely be a no go for me.

tfrizz

Postby tfrizz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:54 pm

Can you stream hockeystreams through an Xbox? I'm trying to decide between that and GameCenter. I like the lack of delay and more games that hockeystreams provides, but if I can't play it through my Xbox it'll likely be a no go for me.
http://www4.hockeystreams.com/devices#xbox360

tfrizz

Postby tfrizz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:56 pm

What we should not see is a clamping down on the cottage industry of YouTube videos and instant GIFs posted to social media. MLB has silenced these as a contravention of its copyrights, but the NHL has allowed them to exist because it recognizes the value they have in advancing conversation about the sport. Since the NHL—and not MLBAM—will continue to have control over that decision, no one involved in the production of these video hits should expect a cease-and-desist letter any time soon.
http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/08/04/nhl-ml ... ip-details
:thumb:

That is a great job by the NHL to recognize the positive impact that gifs, Vines, YouTube clips, etc can have. You don't need to target the little guys posting clips and highlights; focus those resources on shutting down unauthorized sites that are streaming entire games as that content holds real value.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:31 pm

As mentioned in the other thread, I reupped for DirecTV Center Ice with the lawsuit discount. $34.99 ($139.96), so that's cool.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:48 pm

The NFL app on the Xbox One is really top notch. I assume some of that is a result of Microsoft's marketing deal with the NFL, but I'm holding out hope for an update to the NHL app in the next few weeks.

If you've used WatchESPN before you notice it has lousy low framerates, making the videos look oddly unsmooth. I haven't used the NBC Sports streaming sites in a while, but I would have said the same about it.

Sunday Ticket on the XB1 looks about equal to HD cable in my opinion, with great 60fps video. What does Game Center look like?

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:38 pm

The stream I was using on Sunday was captured from a PS4. It was comparable to streams captured from DirecTV if that means anything at all.

tfrizz

Postby tfrizz » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:38 pm

As mentioned in the other thread, I reupped for DirecTV Center Ice with the lawsuit discount. $34.99 ($139.96), so that's cool.
No lawsuit discount in Canada :(

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:32 pm

Comcast/Xfinity sent me a letter earlier this month saying I would automatically be reupped for Center Ice, and I too would be getting the lawsuit discount.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:30 pm

So $140 is the discounted price? :shock:

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:03 pm

It's normally $160.

Worth it to me. For the ticket cost (pair) of attending one game, I get every Pens game in HD and I get to pick the announcers.

Regular tier NFL Sunday ticket is $252, and that's for something like 12 Steeler games. $354 if you want Red Zone Channel.

Extra nice that it's $35/mo for 4 months, so by January it's paid for and I still have half a season to go.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:00 am

I haven't had cable or satellite in five years, so I rarely look at those prices. I compare it to Gamecenter Live, which is cheaper.

Are you able to watch college hockey in Wisconsin? Those games must be televised, right?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:12 am

IRegular tier NFL Sunday ticket is $252, and that's for something like 12 Steeler games. $354 if you want Red Zone Channel.
that's ridiculous (the price bump for Red Zone). It costs me $9 with Time Warner