Game Center, Center Ice, etc.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:15 am

I haven't had cable or satellite in five years, so I rarely look at those prices. I compare it to Gamecenter Live, which is cheaper.

Are you able to watch college hockey in Wisconsin? Those games must be televised, right?
One thing that really shocked me when I moved to WI is how apathetic they are about hockey. It's like it doesn't exist here if you're older than 14.

Can you record with GCL? Can I start a game a half hour late and ffwd through the commercials? I honestly don't know. If you can, I may cancel Center Ice and switch.
IRegular tier NFL Sunday ticket is $252, and that's for something like 12 Steeler games. $354 if you want Red Zone Channel.
that's ridiculous (the price bump for Red Zone). It costs me $9 with Time Warner
The bump to the next Tier includes stuff like streaming to consoles and mobile devices. Which is almost completely useless for me. RZC being excluded from the standard tier feels criminal, though. RZC probably would've been enough to tip me over to subscribing to the base package.

tfrizz

Postby tfrizz » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:12 pm

I haven't had cable or satellite in five years, so I rarely look at those prices. I compare it to Gamecenter Live, which is cheaper.

Are you able to watch college hockey in Wisconsin? Those games must be televised, right?
Gamecenter Live and Center Ice are the same price. The NHL actually had to sign an agreement with inDEMAND, the company that runs Center Ice, specifying that they couldn't undercut the price of Center Ice due to the potential of luring subscribers away. AIUI, the NHL has wanted to lower the price of GCL for years now but can't because of that agreement.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:43 pm

I still get a coming soon landing page for GameCenter Live "All-Access," with no (apparent) pricing information.

With the blackouts and no playoffs, I'm certainly not going to pay $160 for that. Hockeystreams.com might be the way to go for me after all...

cadams

Postby cadams » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:05 am

Unblock-us.com gets around all blackouts if the game is broadcast by Root and for some reason charges me only $100 total over 5 payments for service the last two years, must think I am out of the country. It's $5 a month and gets you Netlfix region switching which in itself is worth it.

Make friends with someone who has Comcast and ask them to make you an email account and you can use that to log on to NBC Sports which will cover you for National games and playoffs. I'm pretty sure every playoff game was streaming live on NBCSN last year too.

With those two options you should be able to see every game even without NHL network.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:01 am

I watched every Pens game from Nov-Jan when I was living in the apartment by streaming from a European website. It's pop-up hell but I never missed a game.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:43 pm

OK, we've finally got some pricing for GameCenter Live:

$131.49 yearly for the whole shebang
$24.99 monthly
$105.09 single team package, yearly

https://subscribe.nhl.com/us

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:13 pm

Cool. $3 savings over Center Ice.

doublewinder

Postby doublewinder » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:27 pm

I imagine it will get better with the deal with MLB, but I'm not sure about this year

I will be doing hockeystreams.com again this year (1 year for 109.99)

and that's no blackouts, actual live streams (unlike Gamecenter), full playoffs and with other leagues
What benefit does HS have over GCL?
I was under the impression HS was not legit and subject to virus/bad streams/no streams.

doublewinder

Postby doublewinder » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:41 pm

I have the MLB package with Verizon. I can get MLB games on:
-My TV
-The MLB at bat app on iPhone/iPad/droid
-The MLB website
-Blu Ray

i can be watching MLB extra innings on my TV....my dad in another house can watch it at the same time different game on the iPad and my brother can watch it simultaneously as well on his laptop all different games same time.

-Is possible for the NHL to work this way whereby I subscribe to TV and can share access across connected devices with family?

-If not why does it for MLB?

doublewinder

Postby doublewinder » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:14 pm

OK....I didn't get my renewal yet...any other subscribers from last year not get it as well?

I'm very confused on the whole pricing, like isn't there supposed to be a discount due to the lawsuit for GCL for previous subscribers...OR is the discount for all subscribers...not just new?

Second...if you subscribed to GCL in the US last year...but use VPN to get the cheaper EURO price...can you still use any credit/discount from being a prior subscriber?

Last....how does VPN work? Do you need to use VPN the whole year...OR do you just need VPN to sign up?
See it seems all the VPNs are PAY sites, but they offer free trial...so I was wondering if you get a free trial and sign up...you get the discount...is that the ONLY time you need it?

In other words if I access GCL from the US IP the rest of the time, am I good to bypass blackouts and use the discount?

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:23 pm

It's for subscribers that have subscribed for the last two years.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:33 pm

I imagine it will get better with the deal with MLB, but I'm not sure about this year

and that's no blackouts, actual live streams (unlike Gamecenter), full playoffs and with other leagues
I was under the impression HS was not legit and subject to virus/bad streams/no streams.
1. Cheaper
2. No delay (depending on how you watch...if you watch on mobile or Chromecast there's a delay but it's still less)
3. No blackouts
4. Playoffs
5. Nearly every pro league
6. You can do a day, week, month, 3 month, 6 month or year commitment vs "one season" only

You're not going to get viruses. Worst that happens is they get shutdown and you lose what you paid for. I think it's worth jt

doublewinder

Postby doublewinder » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:42 pm

1. Cheaper
2. No delay (depending on how you watch...if you watch on mobile or Chromecast there's a delay but it's still less)
3. No blackouts
4. Playoffs
6. You can do a day, week, month, 3 month, 6 month or year commitment vs "one season" only

You're not going to get viruses. Worst that happens is they get shutdown and you lose what you paid for. I think it's worth jt
Can you get it on the iphone/ipad?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:43 pm

1. Cheaper
3. No blackouts
4. Playoffs

Yep, with the delay of like 50 seconds

doublewinder

Postby doublewinder » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:52 pm

1. Cheaper
3. No blackouts
4. Playoffs

Yep, with the delay of like 50 seconds
Is there an app or something?
How do I access it say on my smartTV/iphone?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:56 pm

No idea about smart TV bu t you can go to the mobile site with your phone. The stream plays like a YouTube video

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:58 pm

Hockeystreams also works through Plex, so you aren't tied to a browser or something like Chromecast.

I signed up for the trial of unblock-us and got the discounted GameCenter price of $114 or something. I haven't signed up for it, but you can get the discount with the trial. The blackout restrictions will still be in place until you subscribe (unless there were games during your trial).

I am intrigued by hockeystreams, but worried about what happens when MLBAM takes over in January. Maybe I'll get a 6 month subscription to see how it goes until then...

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:01 pm

Source of the post Is there an app or something?
How do I access it say on my smartTV/iphone?
Here's how you use it on the iPhone/iPad: http://www5.hockeystreams.com/devices#iphone

doublewinder

Postby doublewinder » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:53 pm

Alright, and I guess you do not need VPN or anything with HS?

Now, with GCL, do you only need VPN to register (meaning if I live in PIT, get NHL GCL via VPN when I register....I'm set? Do I need that VPN address every game or can I get a free trial, use that VPN ip just to register and otherwise I'm all set?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:44 am

Alright, and I guess you do not need VPN or anything with HS?\
nope. Other than the small chance of losing your money, I don't think there's any risk/anything required.

I used HS all last season and didn't have any problems...

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:13 am

Source of the post Do I need that VPN address every game or can I get a free trial, use that VPN ip just to register and otherwise I'm all set?
This is a good question, one that I don't really know the answer to.

I know with MLB.tv, it checks my location (and won't let me watch if I have location services off) before streaming a game. If it's a Braves-Pirates game, I'm not able to watch it. I'm not sure if GCL checks your location before streaming or not. I would assume yes, but I'm not sure.

At any rate, you could string together free trials on Unblock-us if you didn't want to pay. Clear cookies/use a privacy tab with a new e-mail every week, and you should be good to go.

doublewinder

Postby doublewinder » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:35 am

Source of the post Do I need that VPN address every game or can I get a free trial, use that VPN ip just to register and otherwise I'm all set?
This is a good question, one that I don't really know the answer to.

I know with MLB.tv, it checks my location (and won't let me watch if I have location services off) before streaming a game. If it's a Braves-Pirates game, I'm not able to watch it. I'm not sure if GCL checks your location before streaming or not. I would assume yes, but I'm not sure.

At any rate, you could string together free trials on Unblock-us if you didn't want to pay. Clear cookies/use a privacy tab with a new e-mail every week, and you should be good to go.
Well, I actually live outside DC, so frankly, as long as I get the discount, I am good....do you think in this case, you just need the VPN for the initial registration?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:01 pm

To get the lower price? Yes.

But if you want to see Pens-Capitals or nationally televised games on GCL, then you'll need the vpn.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:09 pm

And you need a real VPN service (like Unblock.us). GCL just ignores something like Hola and you can't see blackout games.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:50 pm

Hockeystreams is a total pirate operation. Which is fine as long as you understand that.