Game Center, Center Ice, etc.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:43 pm

lol

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:55 pm

The only other DSM I know is Diamond Star Motors. Sorry. ;)

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:09 pm

Really, only shrinks and recent college grads know what the DSM is. Or people that work with either of those two groups. :slug:

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:09 pm

Hola now works perfectly with NBC Sports and Game Center. I remember trying it last year and it always failed.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:15 pm

I took Abnormal Psychology in 2000, but I paid attention.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:23 pm

Lots of real world applicability for that, if you choose to frequent message boards.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:27 pm

Though I excel in pedantic retention I suffer from a deficit in grace.

I honestly thought it was common knowledge. *shrug*

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:32 pm

I certainly know what DSM means, but most certainly did not recognize it in that context.

Also: my above post was referring to applying abnormal psychology knowledge to anonymous lunatics on the web. ;)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:57 pm

I know what DSM means. Because I'm me and that's how I work. :wink:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:50 am

Interesting MLB.TV employee's view of the NHL.TV launch:

https://archive.is/BjSgu

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:15 pm

Ha........... I streamed the Pens-Panthers game yesterday, first time Chromecasting from a tablet to the TV. Once the stream locked in (took about 2-3 minutes) it was stutter-free, and exceptional picture quality. I wanted to come here to ask if NHL.tv had 60fps feeds or something, cos hockey had never looked that good on my TV.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:18 pm

Yes, NHL.tv is 60 fps. When it works, it's fantastic.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:32 pm

I've only watched on my tablet and work laptop. That was the first time I had actually connected it to my TV since the changeover, and I was impressed.

I had some account issues early, but overall I'm not seeing the same problems most are complaining about.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:36 pm

I would like my NHL Vault package back...

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:40 pm

When you watch live games, can you start an hour late and fast forward through commercials and intermission like with a DVR? That's what's really pinning me to DTV.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:46 pm

Yes.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:47 pm

You can also tell it to hide all of the scores in the app, so no spoilers.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:54 pm

When you watch live games, can you start an hour late and fast forward through commercials and intermission like with a DVR? That's what's really pinning me to DTV.
I'd be interested to know about your Directv experience. I've never had satellite before. I do live in the middle of a city, so I'm a little uneasy about whether or not I could get the best angle or whatever. I do live on the top floor of my building, so I imagine that's an advantage.

Please fill out this short survey as time permits:
- Do they have an internet bundle available as well?
- Price? I could sacrifice my current internet speed (100-150 mbps) if Directv covered my NFL and NHL watching experiences completely. Though, i would need some internet power for junior/European games, it wouldn't be as much as I don't often watch them in HD.
- The old thing about weather making the dish suck...
- HD channels for Center Ice package?
- Any other tidbits that you find noteworthy...

Appreesh. :thumb:

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:18 pm

-I have a GIANT tree in my backyard. If you look at my house on Google Earth you only see tree and driveway. They mounted the dish on the front of the house facing back and cleared the tree somehow. Had he not been able to verify signal he wouldn't have been able to leave the dish there, would've just left and told DTV they couldn't complete the order.
-I use Charter and they're not a DTV partner. DTV does have partners that offer internet bundle packages.
-$139.96 for the season, can pay over 4 months if you want. I pay $35/mo and since the season is longer than that, the last months are free (not really)! My total bill is $174/mo but that's because of HBO, Showtime, and the tier we belong to that gets my wife cartoons. I'm not sure what the cheapest package that would get you NBCSN, NHLN, and Center Ice is. I think Sunday Ticket is like $380, I didn't get it this year.
-I live in WI and my dish is covered in snow under a big tree. The only time I have signal loss is in high wind, maybe twice a month in the summer.
-All games are HD, home and away broadcast. Center Ice channels with a -1 (i.e. 771-1) are HD. I tell my season pass to ignore SD. Unless it's on NBCSN or NHLN, then you only get that broadcast. Still HD. Obviously with NHLN you can record the minor league stuff too if you want.
-Season Pass doesn't let you choose whether you want home or away, so it's a crapshoot. I like to listen to away broadcasts unless it's some **** tier crew like Boston. You can manually record, and use Season Pass at the same time, if you're that particular. You can also have multiple sports/teams on Season Pass. I use it for F1 too.
-It says 40 games per week. The only team I watch religiously is the Pens, and I've gotten every single game for the last two years save for one, an afternoon start against the Devils. That was two years ago, not sure why they didn't cover it. I really don't know if they're dropping games for other teams or not, usually I just put on a West Coast game at night to fall asleep to so I'm not looking for something great like Calgary v. Vancouver, it just happens. Oh, games that have a Canadian team are usually only one broadcast unless it's HNIC.
-I'm not sure what the capacity of my DVR is, it's never been completely full and I have entire seasons of HD TV on there. Get a decent DVR and you can record 3 shows while watching a 4th. Might be handy with the Center Ice package since you can watch the other games the next day, or watch an early game during the late game, etc. I'm not they guy to talk to about getting that video onto your PC, though.
-Every so often, about once every three weeks, the Season Pass just hiccups and misses a game. There is an orange record light on the box and if I see it not come on at game time, I manually record.

I know it's not the cool thing to do n'at, cut the cord and all. But it's really nice to just walk in the house, turn **** on, and it works.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:41 pm

I was a CenterIce subscriber for over a decade before I went exclusively NHL.tv (nee-GameCenter). I had no complaints about the service, I just found that about 85% of what I was watching was from my desk at work. Couple that with Chromecast and it just made sense for me to ditch the DirecTV product.

Also, since the AT&T acquisition they are probably heavily pushing bundles for internet service.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:59 pm

Valuable information, thank you.

They have an offer now for NFL Sunday Ticket free. So if I can get a basic setup for $50ish per, pay for Center Ice and either find an internet to bundle with it or keep my 150 mbps from Comcast for $38 or whatever I knocked them down to, I wouldn't be in horrid shape...though it is easy to find NFL streams, like you said, it's nice to just turn something on and have it work - crisp and clean.

The only thing I get left without is AHL and Major Junior hockey, as I had relied on hockeystreams for that. As the junior packages are just way too expensive for me, so I'd rather pay those pirates than pay twice the cost of the NHL package to watch Prince George play Kootenay on the jumbotron feed...

Thanks again, very helpful...

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:15 pm

No worries.

NHL.tv folks, still trying to see if you can pause/ffwd/start late.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:20 pm

yes on all of those.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:25 pm

Well that could be a game changer, then. I'll have to give it a trial this year and then look into my situation next year. Thanks. :thumb:

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:10 am

A big issue I've had with Directv is losing signal during heavy rain. It doesn't happen too often, but it happened during the Pens game against Florida recently.