USA Hockey certification

tjand72

USA Hockey certification

Postby tjand72 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:44 am

After spending $100+ every year to stay "certified" with USA Hockey, I was wondering what everyone thinks about the process. While part of me is thankful that there is some accountability to the kids, the other part of me screams "money-grab". Ongoing certification plus registration each year seems to be a bit much. As a volunteer, it's even more disconcerting.

I'm relatively new to the process. Any thoughts from those that have been involved for a period of time?

mikey

USA Hockey certification

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:38 am

Hmm, I don't think I recall spending $100+ per year...maybe I do. But at first I thought maybe it was just a money grab and it was going to much ado about nothing, but there's actually some decent information in these things...the biggest issue with development for younger kids and producing talent is the coaching at lower levels...

I've been around peewee hockey before and you see it all the time, parents are down there, "coaches" are down there, but there's no fundamental principles being taught...bad habits are covered by worse habits...a lot of ways I can go from here in this post...

But at the end of the day, if we're able to be slightly better as a group, ~$100 per year is a small price to pay for that kind of thing because you never know who you're helping be a better player or person...for the ten kids that are there because their parents made them go...the kid or two that comes to the bench after his shift and goes, "wow, coach, that really works" with a big smile, makes it worth it...

shoeshine boy

USA Hockey certification

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:45 am

I assume that you're talking about coaching? are they still requiring yearly background checks?

mikey

USA Hockey certification

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:59 am

Yes. And it was years ago when I first certified, i'm not sure I recall a background check or not...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

USA Hockey certification

Postby meow » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:47 am

Background checks are good for 2 years now. At least the Mid-Am region is. My organization reimburses all coaches for their certs. Once you reach a level 3, you can re-up that without having to take the class for one season. USA Hockey is definitely a money-grab. Has anyone ever heard of them actually paying money out for anything? I didn't think so.

dodint

USA Hockey certification

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:52 pm

Source of the post Ongoing certification plus registration each year seems to be a bit much.
This is not unique to USA Hockey, it's also how IT certifications work.

But yeah, money grab in the sense that the likelihood of you getting as much value back as you put in is virtually impossible.