Down with the Caps!

Jim

Down with the Caps!

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:11 pm

I know stats aren't everything and it is only early August... but it is something hockey related to talk about, for a change :pop:

As I go to a lot of Caps games, and they are my most hated team... they are the team that I follow second most closely next to the Pens. Their moves this summer have been touted as good moves my some media types. Their two big forward acquisitions were Oshie and Williams, but the two big forward losses for them were Brouwer and Ward.

In : 37G, 59A, 96Pts, 128 hits
out: 40G, 37A, 77Pts, 259 hits

So, a bit more offense/playmaking but a lot less physical (Brouwer was fun to watch). To offset that physicality they brought in Zach Sill, while also losing Fehr. Adding them in you get:

In : 38G, 62A, 100Pts, 301 hits
out: 59G, 51A, 110Pts, 343 hits

So in the end, their offense actually took a hit and they are still easier to play against, physically, than last year. Now, Latta will probably get more play time this year with Sill in the press box, but I also did not count Glencross walking as he only arrived at the deadline.

On defense they let Green walk. Green was bad bad defensively but put up 45 points. They replaced him with Chorney. Chorney!

So the 4 biggest names in bring 38G, 100pts and 306 hits. The 4 going out leave 69G, 155pts and 425 hits at the door. A couple of the young guys like Kuznetsov and Burakovsky may improve, but probably not 31G and 55Pts better, plus they are not physical at all.

Overall I view the Caps as an easier team to play against this year, and not as good overall.

mikey

Down with the Caps!

Postby mikey » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:34 pm

Kuznetsov is going to be a hell of a player this year though and Burakovsky will grow into a bigger role...plus Orlov will be allowed to play I guess now...

Kuznetsov alone should fill most of the void offensively...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Down with the Caps!

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:46 pm

I'm fine with them losing their physicality. It was by far our biggest weakness last season