Kaiser's thread of Seattle Hockey

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:20 am

private funded arena plan is in play, and the group will submit an application for the expansion team. that and no stupid "NBA first" clause make this group the frontrunner.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hock ... on-to-nhl/

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:02 pm

Seattle or bust!

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:35 pm

a Seattle team would be extremely popular. Not to mention that they'll have a built in rivalry with the Nucks as soon as they join the league.

Expansion is dumb though. They should just move the Yotes there

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:31 pm

I'm wishing them luck, although I agree expansion is dumb (from a fan standpoint). I vote Florida Panthers.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:21 pm

NHL likely to have at least two expansion bids from Seattle
Just days after officially opening its expansion sweepstakes, the NHL has received five requests for expansion bid applications. Las Vegas, Quebec City and the Greater Toronto Area are in the mix as expected, but what might surprise some observers is its believed there are two competing bids from Seattle.

A source indicated that Victor Coleman, a Los Angeles-based real estate developer and native of Vancouver, has definitely requested a bid package and intends to apply by the July 20 deadline. The other Seattle bid is believed to be coming from Connecticut investment banker Ray Bartoszek. And if that weren’t enough, there are apparently two groups looking at the possibility of building an arena in the affluent suburb of Bellevue, which is across Lake Washington from Seattle.
And put me in the expansion-is-dumb-relocate-the-[Panthers/Yotes] camp.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:23 pm

And I'm not saying that being home to my second favorite NFL team and potentially getting a new NHL franchise are incentives for Mrs Tif and I to move there, but it certainly doesn't hurt the prospect, either.

Craig

Postby Craig » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:48 pm

I often consider a move up to that area. This would not hurt.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:32 pm

NHL likely to have at least two expansion bids from Seattle
Just days after officially opening its expansion sweepstakes, the NHL has received five requests for expansion bid applications. Las Vegas, Quebec City and the Greater Toronto Area are in the mix as expected, but what might surprise some observers is its believed there are two competing bids from Seattle.

A source indicated that Victor Coleman, a Los Angeles-based real estate developer and native of Vancouver, has definitely requested a bid package and intends to apply by the July 20 deadline. The other Seattle bid is believed to be coming from Connecticut investment banker Ray Bartoszek. And if that weren’t enough, there are apparently two groups looking at the possibility of building an arena in the affluent suburb of Bellevue, which is across Lake Washington from Seattle.
And put me in the expansion-is-dumb-relocate-the-[Panthers/Yotes] camp.
where's the talk of the Iceland bid?

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:39 pm

I don't see the Panthers moving anywhere under their current ownership. That dude is mucho wealthy and buying a hockey team to move it isn't worth the effort relative to his other financial interests.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:25 am

NEVERMIND

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:36 pm

Quebec is OUT, arena vote in seattle on the 24th

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:39 pm

I've said it before, Seattle is a great progressive sports town. They are perhaps the only MLS team that can play in a football stadium and make it seem like they belong there. They would embrace the hell out of a hockey team, and I guarantee it would instantly become one of the loudest arenas in the sport.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:58 pm

The NHL released a statement saying no decision had been made, just an FYI.

Craig

Postby Craig » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:17 pm

I've said it before, Seattle is a great progressive sports town. They are perhaps the only MLS team that can play in a football stadium and make it seem like they belong there. They would embrace the hell out of a hockey team, and I guarantee it would instantly become one of the loudest arenas in the sport.
So theyre going to engineer that to be loud too?

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:58 pm

So theyre going to engineer that to be loud too?
Yes?

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue May 03, 2016 10:34 am

Seattle city council voted to NOT vacate a worthless piece of land that would have been the site for a new arena, even though their only reason, traffic flow, was proved inconsequential through video evidence. so we're fked again.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:29 pm

LIFE.

Prospective NBA team owner chris hanson has now offered to fund an arena using entirely private money. Hopefully bettman is paying attention, because there are no NBA teams to have. Hanson has tinkered with the idea of an NHL team instead, but an arena would bring the latest NHL groups out of hiding from Seattle city council's tyranny.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Coyotes talking relocation again, unless they get a new arena. theirs is 14 years old. Chris Hanson is still making deals around Seattle for an arena, but who knows if any of it will pay off with our FIXED CITY COUNCIL VOTES!! SAD!
F*** the port unions, F*** the mariners, and F*** the city govt.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:57 am

I thought I read that they're now talking about renovating the Key Arena instead of building a new one. That seems like a bad decision.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:06 am

Paul Allen isn't interested in having a team?

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Paul Allen isn't interested in having a team?
possibly, but he also owns the Trailblazers, and Portland has an NHL-ready arena, so he might go there with it.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:05 am

Paul Allen's dead. How could he own a team?

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:47 pm

New petition for the Occidental street vacation, with some changes since it was voted down 5-4 last May.
This new petition incorporates all amendments to the previous petition considered by the City Council, and builds on it with several important differences:

The Arena Will Be 100% Privately Financed - The Arena requires no public financing – it will be 100% privately financed.

Traffic Improvements - We are contributing an additional $1.3 million to implement several SDOT projects in the 2016 Freight Master Plan – on top of the benefits recommended by SDOT and Seattle Design Commission.

No Team Means No Arena Means No Vacation - There will be no vacation unless and until an NHL or NBA team is acquired and the arena is under construction. If a team isn't acquired and the arena project does not get built in this location, the street will not be vacated.

Joint Scheduling Agreement - An agreement has been made with the Seahawks, Mariners, and Sounders, ensuring no major event will occur at the arena at any time that overlaps with major events at Safeco Field or CenturyLink Field.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:38 pm

The city has chosen to remodel Key Arena, for purposes of bringing the NBA or NHL to town. There are no NBA prospects currently, but investors are coming out of the woodwork since the announcement to get a piece of a hockey team, including Jerry Bruckheimer.

#itshappening #hashtag #f***youmars

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:35 am

I feel like they kind of have to add a team, since there's an uneven amount out west.