Orpik, Niskanen, others talk about their first year with Caps

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sun May 17, 2015 12:35 pm

New Capitals found old reputations unaligned with reality
Some quotes...
It was breakdown day after Orpik’s first season into a five-year, $27.5 million deal, not long after he sat inside an exit interview with Coach Barry Trotz and general manager Brian MacLellan. There, he told his bosses that he hadn’t enjoyed hockey to this degree in four or five years, and much of that he owed to the attitude of the group he joined.

He had grown so accustomed to life in Pittsburgh, drafted 18th overall in 2000 and joining the organization for good three years later. The relationships were fully developed, from teammates to the training staff to personnel stationed around the rink. In Washington, everything was unknown, especially how Orpik would jell. Later, he would echo Trotz’s oft-spoken assertion that expectations had failed to align with the truth.

“I did a lot of research before I signed here, talking to guys who played here, so I had a pretty good idea,” Orpik said. “Guys talk around the league all the time, so guys have a pretty good idea of what guys are like as teammates. It’s usually a lot different than what outsiders think as guys. But yeah, like I said before, I think this team’s been criticized for having a lot of individual talents and individual egos. Right from Day One I didn’t see any existence of that. That’s what made it a lot of fun to be part of this group. Guys really genuinely cared about each other and stuck up for each other.”

For four years in Pittsburgh, Niskanen had a relatively close view of the Capitals. He had read the scathing articles addressing Alex Ovechkin’s minus-35 rating and defensive play last season, or the ones dissecting the dysfunction that led to Adam Oates’s dismissal following the franchise’s first postseason absence since 2006-07. He sensed “some perceptions about the group here, about work habits and consistency,” but tried to arrive “with a clean slate and a fresh mind and not judge people before I really got to know them myself.” Like Orpik, he found things different.

“I thought as a group we really committed to getting better,” Niskanen said. “That was a good sign and I think we grew a lot in that department, just becoming better professionals. That was good. I think our success as the year went on reflected that, the commitment in that area. That’s a good base to have. That’s a good foundation to have that work ethic and commitment to finding ways to get better. That part was good.”

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun May 17, 2015 12:40 pm

The bolded part above is certainly something to ponder.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Sun May 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Bylsma, crusher of enthusiasm and destroyer of dreams.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun May 17, 2015 2:23 pm

Are we sure Bylsma isn't a batman villain or something?

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Mon May 18, 2015 9:34 am

Come on boys, get to your game...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 18, 2015 10:41 am

I did a lot of research before I signed here, talking to guys who played here, so I had a pretty good idea
the implication being that orpik really had to mull over signing a giant contract that no one else was offering.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 18, 2015 11:40 am

Its easy to enjoy the sport more when you're grossly overpaid.

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon May 18, 2015 11:57 am

I did a lot of research before I signed here, talking to guys who played here, so I had a pretty good idea
the implication being that orpik really had to mull over signing a giant contract that no one else was offering.
:fist: