International Hockey

dodint

International Hockey

Postby dodint » Sun May 17, 2015 4:37 pm

Probably just sad to be away from Pittsburgh. He loves it here, clearly homesick.

Jagr is retired from International play. Again.

Avyran

International Hockey

Postby Avyran » Sun May 17, 2015 4:41 pm

Frankly, it would've been a huge upset if ANYONE besides Canada would have won this tournament (and if they didn't dominate). The France loss is even more strange now.

That being said... still gotta play the games. Props to the Canadians for playing.

With the chemistry Giroux & Crosby're showing........ :scared:

Edit: Geez. Feel bad for Bobrovsky, though that was a weak goal.

Pavement

International Hockey

Postby Pavement » Sun May 17, 2015 4:47 pm

Canada have been good and the Russians a bit disappointing. They don't seem to have generated many chances.

Tico Rick

International Hockey

Postby Tico Rick » Sun May 17, 2015 4:48 pm

Geno!

mikey

International Hockey

Postby mikey » Sun May 17, 2015 4:53 pm

Canada have been good and the Russians a bit disappointing. They don't seem to have generated many chances.
Last I had heard, the shots were 34-7. It's been a full-on Canadian steamroller from start to finish...

Tomas

International Hockey

Postby Tomas » Sun May 17, 2015 4:55 pm

Frankly, it would've been a huge upset if ANYONE besides Canada would have won this tournament (and if they didn't dominate). The France loss is even more strange now.

That being said... still gotta play the games. Props to the Canadians for playing.

With the chemistry Giroux & Crosby're showing........ :scared:

Edit: Geez. Feel bad for Bobrovsky, though that was a weak goal.
Actually, Canada still WON against France. Just that france held the tie until ~10 minutes to go, and lost by 1 goal only. In fact, since Canada won all of the games in regulation, they'll be awarded a special bonus of CHF 1 mil (that's like $1.3 mil).

Pavement

International Hockey

Postby Pavement » Sun May 17, 2015 4:56 pm

Last I had heard, the shots were 34-7. It's been a full-on Canadian steamroller from start to finish...
Yeah they've been easily the best team Mikey. Sid has looked good.

Avyran

International Hockey

Postby Avyran » Sun May 17, 2015 5:01 pm

Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Tomas

International Hockey

Postby Tomas » Sun May 17, 2015 5:13 pm

All Star Team (I believe that's voted by the media):

Connor Hellebuyck - Brent Burns, Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Jaromír Jágr, Jason Spezza, Taylor Hall.

Best players of the tournament (I believe that's determined by the Federation):

Pekka Rinne (G), Brent Burns (D), Jason Spezza (F).

Tournament MVP: Jagr

Tomas

International Hockey

Postby Tomas » Sun May 17, 2015 5:21 pm

And Russians apparently caused a mini-scandal. The complete team left before the Canadian national anthem was played. If true, that some really bad sportsmanship....

Avyran

International Hockey

Postby Avyran » Sun May 17, 2015 5:25 pm

And Russians apparently caused a mini-scandal. The complete team left before the Canadian national anthem was played. If true, that some really bad sportsmanship....
Not surprised. If any team'd do that, it'd be Russia.
Most of Russian team leaves ice during celebrations. Ovechkin appears to want the team to stay out.

Avyran

International Hockey

Postby Avyran » Sun May 17, 2015 5:31 pm

Also, Crosby is the first person to captain a team to IIHF, Olympic, & Stanley Cup victories (I think).

mikey

International Hockey

Postby mikey » Sun May 17, 2015 5:33 pm

It's not a best-on-best tournament, so it holds slightly less appeal even for me...though I've caught it when it's convenient for me...
I am always slightly surprised by this argument, because based on the "quality of the product" offered, the Team Canada (and very likely the Team Russia) is better than any NHL team subject to a tight salary cap. The "best-on-best" argument definitely does not hold in the SC playoffs, where it is simply "the best what you can squeeze against $X mil cap."

I understand that the first round games are sometimes boring (Slovenia, Austria, Denmark, Norway), but the tournament from QF-stage on has been definitely far more entertaining (for me) than the SC playoffs.
I've always severely discounted the World Championships because of the randomness of the rosters...if NHL players, NHL stars readily opt-out of this thing, it automatically dampens my enthusiasm for it...I underrated it and I know it...it's good hockey...it's a shame the timing of it...

But when you go, ok, what happens if Canada plays USA for a medal or whatever...

Anders Lee - Nick Bonino - Charlie Coyle
Dan Sexton - Mark Arcobello - Ben Smith
Brock Nelson - Jack Eichel - Trevor Lewis
Matt Hendricks - Dylan Larkin - Steve Moses
Jeremy Morin

Torey Krug - Justin Faulk
Mike Reilly - Seth Jones
Jake Gardiner - Connor Murphy
Zach Redmond

Connor Hellebuyck
Jack Campbell

versus...

Taylor Hall - Sidney Crosby - Jordan Eberle
Ryan O'Reilly - Claude Giroux - Tyler Seguin
Nathan MacKinnon - Matt Duchene - Jason Spezza
Tyler Ennis - Sean Couturier - Tyler Toffoli
Cody Eakin

Dan Hamhuis - Brent Burns
Jake Muzzin - Tyson Barrie
David Savard - Aaron Ekblad
Patrick Weircioch

Mike Smith
Martin Jones

One of the Big 7 has a team of rookies, fringe NHLers and in a few cases, non-NHLers...including both goalies...that's tough...that said, they bronzed, so that's extraordinary and I'm proud of their effort...but it's really tough to swallow icing that type of team and considering it a must-watch tournament...it's like Spengler Cup roster...

Tomas

International Hockey

Postby Tomas » Sun May 17, 2015 5:39 pm

Most of Russian team leaves ice during celebrations. Ovechkin appears to want the team to stay out.
Just to be sure (English a a second language issue): "Ovechkin appears to want the team to stay out" means he wanted them to stay ON the ice (i.e. Ovechkin is class act) as opposed to he wanted them to stay out of the celebrations (i.e. he wanted them to leave, i.e. Ovechkin is a sore loser), right?

Avyran

International Hockey

Postby Avyran » Sun May 17, 2015 5:46 pm

Just to be sure (English a a second language issue): "Ovechkin appears to want the team to stay out" means he wanted them to stay ON the ice (i.e. Ovechkin is class act) as opposed to he wanted them to stay out of the celebrations (i.e. he wanted them to leave, i.e. Ovechkin is a sore loser), right?
Short answer: You're correct. Long answer in spoiler, though @Shyster will probably be able to better explain why.
The way the sentence is structured, you can't be entirely sure. It can mean both. Plus, it's Twitter English, which normally just sucks & is grammatically incorrect. :P

However, because the verb "stay" is used, it's safe to assume that he means stay on the ice, as that's where they were already. This also makes sense because the 2nd sentence seems to be a contrast of the 1st, Ovechkin wanting to do something the rest of the team did not. If it were to stay out of the celebration, it'd make more sense to use the verb "go," noting a change in place / leaving the ice.

mikey

International Hockey

Postby mikey » Sun May 17, 2015 5:52 pm

Yeah, I read that without much hesitation as Ovechkin wants the team to remain with him on the ice...i'd be pretty confident in Avy's short answer for sure...

Tomas

International Hockey

Postby Tomas » Sun May 17, 2015 6:05 pm

Thanks to both. From what I just read on one of the Czech forums, there in fact was a group of 5 or so Russian players who waited until the Cup was handed. Then they left (still before the anthem) - but that was probably because they thought the anthem might not be played then.

Ovechkin was apparently also the only Russian player who patiently talked to the media after the Russian ouster in Sochi.

Tico Rick

International Hockey

Postby Tico Rick » Sun May 17, 2015 6:16 pm

Maybe they think the Canadian national anthem isn't as good as the Russian national anthem. :pop:
Last edited by Tico Rick on Sun May 17, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomas

International Hockey

Postby Tomas » Sun May 17, 2015 6:19 pm

Luckily Malkin was another guy to stay. So was Tikhonov's grandson. I think things must have been quite embarrassing in the locker room after the game.

Tomas

International Hockey

Postby Tomas » Sun May 17, 2015 6:46 pm

After today, the groups for the 2018 Olympics are known, based on the IIHF ranking:

Group A: Canada, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Korea.

Group B: Russia, USA, Slovakia, Q3 (the lowest-point winner of one of the 3 qualification groups).

Group C: Sweden, Finland, Q1, Q2.

Tomas

International Hockey

Postby Tomas » Sun May 17, 2015 8:08 pm

Two videos with Crosby reaction after the finals (the first also includes a few more players, the second is just the expanded Crosby talk):

http://video.idnes.cz/?idvideo=V150518_002253_webtv_mku

http://video.idnes.cz/?idvideo=V150518_ ... hokejh_lan

columbia

International Hockey

Postby columbia » Mon May 18, 2015 6:33 am

Vladimir Putin helps retired NHL stars to ice hockey win
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32766918

llipgh2

International Hockey

Postby llipgh2 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:14 pm

Luckily Malkin was another guy to stay. So was Tikhonov's grandson. I think things must have been quite embarrassing in the locker room after the game.
According to TASS, Dmitry Kulikov stayed on the ice as well.

TASS is also reporting the GM of Team Russia, Andrey Safronov, has apologized for the actions of the team, calling it a "shame". Said the team left the ice due to an "organizational mistake" and "this was our mistake and not the of of the organizers".

Then how is it an organizational mistake? :pop:

MR25

International Hockey

Postby MR25 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:14 pm

Team Russia as an organization is a bunch of sore losers?

Shyster

International Hockey

Postby Shyster » Mon May 18, 2015 6:03 pm

Short answer: You're correct. Long answer in spoiler, though @Shyster will probably be able to better explain why.
The way the sentence is structured, you can't be entirely sure. It can mean both. Plus, it's Twitter English, which normally just sucks & is grammatically incorrect. :P
I'm not sure there are really any grammar rules in play, but I think the simplest interpretation would be that "stay" is being used in the context of "stay where you are," or "remain in place."