Non-Penguins NHL Games 2021

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:15 am

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:36 pm

The Flyers stink...

I don't mean like how Detroit and New Jersey stink because we knew that was how it was gonna go...these guys are just less than the sum of their parts everywhere...

If you're gonna have mobile, skilled, but soft d-men, then just use them...instead, they don't seem to pass their own hash marks and they give it to slow forwards, who chip and chase...so you're isolated by two layers, but you're not at more than the even middle layer of the attack zone. So there's nothing to even have to account for on your initial defensive marking. It's just "oh, found the puck, there's like maybe 2 guys near it...swarm, steal, counterattack..."

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:54 pm

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:07 am

The Flyers stink...

I don't mean like how Detroit and New Jersey stink because we knew that was how it was gonna go...these guys are just less than the sum of their parts everywhere...

If you're gonna have mobile, skilled, but soft d-men, then just use them...instead, they don't seem to pass their own hash marks and they give it to slow forwards, who chip and chase...so you're isolated by two layers, but you're not at more than the even middle layer of the attack zone. So there's nothing to even have to account for on your initial defensive marking. It's just "oh, found the puck, there's like maybe 2 guys near it...swarm, steal, counterattack..."
The goal they allowed at the end of the first period was just...wow. Flyers player catches the puck and decides to drop it...in the middle of the slot? Why not toss it towards the boards and then it's one stick and out and the period is over? Instead, after the drop, the Devils player pokes it to a teammate and that sets up the one-timer. Just a backbreaker. Very happy it happened, though.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:29 am

This isn't great obviously, this is clumsy Tim Peel...but I'd be lying if I said I haven't done this before, but I told the other team...

I'm the back ref, I'm following the play up the ice, and I do a quick player count and realize, I'm missing a skater...so I turn back and see he's engaged with the other goalie...there's a back and forth, and I'm going to slide back to warn them, but I'm still looking up the ice because there's a zone entry about to happen...I glance back and I see the goalie trip the player who was trying to get back up the rink, but it really was just an extension of the exchange, I hadn't given a verbal warning yet...and because I was slightly distracted with what was going on up ice, I just didn't contextualize it very well and put my arm up. I'm in front of a player's bench, so I can't just put it back down, people have seen me at this point haha

So, I call the goalie for a trip, and I hated the call immediately...the goalie was sour about it, and I went over to the coach to get the player he was gonna put into serve the penalty...and he's starts into me, and I stopped him, and I said, "look, I know, I'm not happy about it either...I was going back there to warn them, I got distracted, it's not the best call I'm going to make...I'm gonna try to get it back for ya, I owe you a tight call..."

Now, I'm not mic'd up for this...but sometimes you make a mistake, and you want to make it back...just like a player that turns the puck over, he's the hardest backchecker because he wants to make it up...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:04 am

I have zero issue with that. These guys are human.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:41 am

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:45 am

Wow.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:45 am

But that's the kind of thing you say after somebody makes a mistake. It wasn't a mistake. He just admitted that the NHL rigs calls based on the score or play of the game. That's no good. It makes the league look bad and feeds into conspiracy theories.
Last edited by nocera on Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:45 am

Lol. He’s retiring on April 24th.... so they suspended him a month.

Great tough guy statement NHL

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:49 am

I can’t get over this statement. It’s so f’ing NHL. Not working games now or in the future!!! Holy ****, that takes some balls by the NHL. Wait, he only was gonna ref 10 more games and retire before the playoffs?? Oh

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:52 am

Good. Maybe hockey is different than baseball, but I know the bad umpires from the good ones when they admit a bad call and then make it up. Just stfu, make the makeup call, everyone knows what it is, and they move on.. sht like this just pours gas on the fire after a bad call

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:09 am

Josh Yohe alert.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:15 am

i understand being ok with this, but "these guys are human" doesn't cut it for me. Peel went into the game with an agenda, it's not like he missed an elbow because his view was obscured.

game management is a real thing, and calling everything exactly by the book isn't always the best choice. but it's improv jazz. you need to get a sense of what's what in real time. don't go in thinking you're the party planning committee and trying to manipulate things before they start.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:26 am

Went into the game with an agenda...?

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:29 am

Yeah I don't think he went in with an agenda. I think he was reffing the score or flow of the game, which we all know happens but the league will never admit to doing it. Peel is being punished because he was caught, not because of the call.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:38 am

Game flow and feel is taught and obvious...what venue should they have "admitted" it through...?

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:38 am

Yeah I don't think he went in with an agenda. I think he was reffing the score or flow of the game, which we all know happens but the league will never admit to doing it. Peel is being punished because he was caught, not because of the call.
He’s also being punished because they know the punishment is minimal. He’s retiring in a month. If he was a younger ref, I think almost nothing happens. It’s grandstanding

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:39 am

Went into the game with an agenda...?
wait..."I wanted to get a call against nashville early in the game"

was that not the quote? i admit i did a bit of a fly by here

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:41 am

Game flow and feel is taught and obvious...what venue should they have "admitted" it through...?
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I think it's fairly obvious that the NHL doesn't want the public knowing that refs don't just call the penalties they see and rather they take into consideration the score and feel of the game. Especially when it comes to gambling and whatnot. Everybody in the know (like you) or those who just watch a ton of hockey (like me) have been aware of it for some time but that doesn't mean the NHL wants to promote that. Having one of their own on mic admitting it is a bad look.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:42 am

Nope. Nashville wasn't called for a penalty in the 1st period at all...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:49 am

oh. so we're clutching pearls because game management is a thing? meh.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:50 am

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I think it's fairly obvious that the NHL doesn't want the public knowing that refs don't just call the penalties they see and rather they take into consideration the score and feel of the game. Especially when it comes to gambling and whatnot. Everybody in the know (like you) or those who just watch a ton of hockey (like me) have been aware of it for some time but that doesn't mean the NHL wants to promote that. Having one of their own on mic admitting it is a bad look.
Stephen Walkom probably says "game flow" in every quote about officiating he's ever given...and he was the head of officials...I get the sense that you think that we're in on some big secret here...but it's out there and stated, beyond it already being heavily implied. Naturally, you have to be careful with your exact wording, so if you're looking for some sort of magic bullet, you're not liable to find that, sure...but this isn't some closely guarded secret or anything...game flow, control, management, etc. are all openly taught aspects to officiating...

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:52 am

oh. so we're clutching pearls because game management is a thing? meh.
Yeah, it's a gigantic nothing...and was basically treated as such. If Wes would have done this, they might have suspended him for like a week and told him to be more careful...Peel is not a good ref anyhow, so nothing is lost and it's perfect because it makes it look like they took a hard stance on something that optically might confuse/enrage casual fans...

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:54 am

Stephen Walkom probably says "game flow" in every quote about officiating he's ever given...and he was the head of officials...I get the sense that you think that we're in on some big secret here...but it's out there and stated, beyond it already being heavily implied. Naturally, you have to be careful with your exact wording, so if you're looking for some sort of magic bullet, you're not liable to find that, sure...but this isn't some closely guarded secret or anything...game flow, control, management, etc. are all openly taught aspects to officiating...
Oh okay I understand what you're saying now. There's certainly something that the league doesn't like about Peel's open mic admission though, right? Otherwise they would've come out in support or just ignored it entirely.