Gone - Players' Tribune Article by Carcillo

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:26 pm

Like others, worth the read (and listen).

If you don't want to click to read, I'll provide the gist & also the accompanying Youtube here:
My best friend in hockey, Steve Montador, was found dead in his home at age 35. Steve was a 12-year NHL vet who battled addiction at certain points in his career before getting sober. Since he walked away from the game due to concussions in 2013, he was struggling to figure out what to do next. But I was still in complete shock and disbelief. For some reason, I started getting dressed for the pre-game skate. As a hockey player, you’re just taught to push through the pain, no matter what. I started putting on my skates when I glanced across the room and saw the stall Monty used to sit in when we played together. I heard his deep, hearty laugh.

When I rejoined the team after taking a few days off for Monty’s funeral, I couldn’t put what happened out of my mind. One night on the road, I started writing down my thoughts on Hilton hotel notepads. Why do NHL players struggle so much with moving on from the game? Why are so many former players I know battling depression? Why does the hockey community ignore them when they’re gone? And why can’t we create a more concrete program to help them transition into real life?

I must have filled up 20 notepad pages. Then, I thought of a memory of Steve lathering himself up with Flexall gel after a pre-game workout and running into the locker room in his underwear. Anything to get a laugh. Anything to make other people happy. That was Steve. I started to laugh. I started to break down.

Finally, I decided to sit down in front of a camera and try to explain why we can’t lose another Steve Montador.

(Edit: I think this - NHL players dealing with concussions & other current or post-play injuries - is easily the biggest issue facing the NHL right now. More than the terrible reffing. Far more than the "diving." This is a critical issue.)

Craig

Postby Craig » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:34 pm

So who wrote that for carcillo? There are some big words in there. Ones with multiple syllables.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:07 pm

Source of the post I think this - NHL players dealing with concussions & other current or post-play injuries - is easily the biggest issue facing the NHL right now. More than the terrible reffing. Far more than the "diving." This is a critical issue.
it's an issue that people can easily ignore - which means it's not the biggest issue. the diminishing quality of the product is going to kill the game again. that's the biggest issue.

but this is certainly a poignant and sad story.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:20 am

Thank you Dodint for letting me know I was a damned fool double-poster. Agree with shmenguin, poignant and sad.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:23 am

*h/t*

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:51 am

As a former player that has battled depression, it is comforting to see some awareness going around about this issue.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:25 am

I think people lose sight of the fact that these guys are all still human beings (need proof, just look at the first reply in this thread). They have real issues just like the rest of the world that are often complicated by the fact that one little thing can ruin an entire career, and it doesn't help that they've spent their entire lives working to get to the NHL. How many have back-up plans if something goes wrong like a concussion? For a super star like Chris Pronger, no big deal... he had money, he had opportunities open up to him, what about those fringe players? No one gives a crap about them, and they likely don't have the money to fall back on. I don't know what the solution is, or if there even is one, but it's good to start the discussion.

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:48 am

Carcillo is t a real human being. If he werent a pro athlete he wouldnt hold a job.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:51 am

Oh? You know him personally? Enough to make that sort of claim?

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:55 am

Yes ive seen him try to speak in person Twice. It was plenty to form that opinion.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:57 am

Oh, you've seen him try to speak twice? My apologies. Didn't know you knew the inner workings of his mind so well.

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:10 am

Usually emotions dont bleed through in text, but your tears really do. By all means defend the guy, he deserves it.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:15 am

Some people of this world are comfortable dehumanizing people they don't know, others aren't. Call me crazy, but I think he's a human with feelings and emotions. You obviously see him as some sort of animal. It is what it is.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:42 am

Source of the post I think this - NHL players dealing with concussions & other current or post-play injuries - is easily the biggest issue facing the NHL right now. More than the terrible reffing. Far more than the "diving." This is a critical issue.
it's an issue that people can easily ignore - which means it's not the biggest issue. the diminishing quality of the product is going to kill the game again. that's the biggest issue.

but this is certainly a poignant and sad story.
To me, both of these can be addressed together (partially). So much of the wear & tear, the injuries that go on, are caused by the "battle" of the NHL: the clutch & grab, the late hits, etc. Letang's concussion is a perfect example for me: a slightly unnecessary & slightly late hit that caused a concussion. Was it a strange situation? Of course. Does that change the fact that it could've been prevented? Nah.

Call the game by the rules, and let skill win out. Let the Tarasenkos, the Letangs, the Crosbys, the Ovechkins shine. Don't make the playoffs about the Clutterbucks, or the Marc Staals, or Dominic Moore. Who of the "stars" of the NHL is shining right now? Goaltending and defense. What everyone wants to watch, right? If they called the games much more strictly, that would cut down on the slashing, the cross-checking, and the interference. It would let Kane, or Silfverberg, or the Sedins shine just as Messi, Ronaldo, Hazard, Fabregas, Rooney, & other soccer players consistently shine. The teams would adjust, just as they're adjusting to the pre-lockout return.

Netwolf went on a rant the other day that I fully agree with...
[Mike Johnston said] "I'd rather see the battle. I like to see those battles. I like to see guys having to fight through those battles. It's playoff time." [This was after game 3.]
I realize he can't just blast the stripes, but at the same time, being this accepting of what's going on is part of the problem.
I've said it before, the NHL is so in love with the battle aspect of things...
...they allow it to run roughshod over all of the great things the sport has to offer.
I look forward to them minimizing all the great thing McDavid could accomplish, much in the same way they did to 66/68.
And once interest fades & the cash slows, they'll have another lockout, then slap a temp fix in that will slowly backslide away.
Wash, rinse, repeat. Same as it ever was. Fin.
If you call the rules more consistently & stringently, you cut back on the chances of microfractured hands (like the Subban tomahawk on Stone that was deemed only a 2-minute penalty by many), concussions (Doan's hit on Letang after he moved the puck), etc. Does it remove all of those injuries? Nah; hockey is still a very rough & physical game, just as soccer is. But it causes players to hesitate when going in for the check more often. It removes the Rinaldos from the game unless they shape up like Cooke did (for the most part).

Or, like the NHL is trying, they can slow down the game and at the same time reduce its entertainment value.

Of course, that's only half of the battle. The other half is addressing the post-trauma depressions & such that concussed players get, as well as helping with post-retirement. This is a whole different animal that would take a lot more to address; however, there needs to be a lot more awareness and concerted effort to make it a known problem.

Whatever the case, I'm incredibly happy Carcillo spoke up. This needs to be addressed. This needs to be at the center of discussion. Players having severe depression & (potentially; Montador's cause of death isn't sure) committing suicide is unacceptable.

As an aside, this more than anything else is why I rant against the refs. I'm more concerned about the stupid injuries & the playing through them that are praised as the "battle" than seeing the Pens be "targeted by the refs" or whatever... and I'm more concerned about the ruining of the game.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:28 pm

it's all academic now, but doan didn't injure letang. the position they happened to be in on the ice injured letang.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:44 pm

Source of the post it's all academic now, but doan didn't injure letang. the position they happened to be in on the ice injured letang.
The hit, it could be argued, shouldn't have happened in the first place. It was unnecessary and obstructive.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:54 pm

Source of the post it's all academic now, but doan didn't injure letang. the position they happened to be in on the ice injured letang.
The hit, it could be argued, shouldn't have happened in the first place. It was unnecessary and obstructive.
while i disagree, this still has nothing to do with letang's injury.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:04 pm

Well, if the hit would not have happened (which, I would argue, that Doan would not have tried the hit if interference & such would have been called more often), the injury also would not have. Yes, the position occurred. But Letang's position did not send him flying head-first into the boards.

It's arguing hypotheticals, though. My point is that sort of hit does not provide much to the game & instead carries a much higher risk. Add to that the recent Virginia Tech study that says very few hockey helmets actually protect from concussions & such... and there ya go.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:29 pm

if we're talking about removing violence from the game, i'll have a lot more free time on my hands not watching it anymore.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:32 pm

... I never said that.

Edit: I am talking about this type of play...

And this type of play...

But sure. Let's talk about "removing violence from the game" instead.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:55 pm

Thee is absolutely nothing wrong with the Doan hit.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:59 pm

More enforcers speaking out. This time, it's Mike Peluso to Toronto's Globe & Mail.
In December, 1994, I suffered a major concussion thanks to a bare-knuckled fist to the head. I was knocked unconscious as my head slammed against the ice, and carried off the rink. In the locker room I took multiple showers, because I kept forgetting that I had already showered. However, the team quickly cleared me to play despite signs of a serious concussion. A few weeks later, I experienced a grand mal seizure during a workout.

As I convulsed, my teammates restrained me from hurting myself any further, but the damage to my brain had already been done. Incredibly, it was a team orthopedic surgeon who treated me after my seizure. I sat out for just two weeks before the team doctors again pushed me back onto the ice. I was never seen by a neurologist.

This would be the first of many seizures, and that concussion was just one of many hits to the head. At no time in my NHL career did anyone – a doctor, trainer, coach or league representative – ever tell me that I could be at risk for seizures or other long-term neurological diseases and disorders such as dementia or Alzheimer’s. I loved playing hockey, but wish someone had sat us all down to have an honest conversation about how our brains would feel years into the future.

I am just one of many former players dealing with serious health issues, but I joined the concussion lawsuit against the NHL because the entire retired player community needs help. Many suffer in silence from post-concussive symptoms such as daily headaches and anxiety, memory loss and depression. There isn’t a short-term fix for our issues. We chose to play hockey, but lacked the knowledge to decide whether this was the life we wanted after our careers were over.

All we wanted to do was play, so we did whatever the league told us to do to stay in the game. We gave the NHL everything we had, and foolishly believed they had our best interests at heart. The league failed to take care of us when we gave our blood and sweat to the game. Now is the time for the NHL to step up and do the right thing by the players who need urgent help and care.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:11 am

Johan Franzen also talked about his concussion - he took a hit on Jan. 6 from Klinkhammer & was on LTIR the remainder of the year. This is at least his 4th concussion - he wasn't sure if he's had more.
"This time was scary," he said. "For two months, not being able to pick up your kids, or play with your kids, for more than 2 minutes — it makes you think a little bit. I was in a really dark place, maybe not the first month because then you still think it's going to get better, but then when it doesn't get better, you kind of start wondering."

Franzen has skated on his own for weeks, finally, he said, "starting to feel a little bit better. Last month, it's slowly but steady been getting better. I've still got a lot of issues, but at least I can get through workouts and get something done during the day.

"I usually get a setback in the afternoon and at night, but I'm just happy that I can work out, start feeling like a human being again."

Still, he goes to bed every afternoon knowing, if he doesn't, a headache will come. He'll get up to have dinner, then rest some more.

Franzen, 35, hasn't ruled out continuing his Wings career. He signed an 11-year, $43.5-million extension in 2009. He has been on long-term injured reserve, which has offered the team salary-cap relief. Franzen hopes that won't continue next season.

"I had my mind set on coming back," he said. "I'm just hoping one day I'll wake up, and it's gone."
(Edit: Gfys of the hit if you're curious in spoiler.)
Gfycat Video - Click to Play
Gfycat Video - Click to Play
Last edited by Avyran on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:30 am

He had at least one or two last year alone (he was on my fantasy team, recall him missing games multiple times).