2018 World Championship (aka Hockey in the Morning!)

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun May 20, 2018 5:41 pm

Yeah, the Swiss have been a developing nation for a while and I think they cemented themselves as a hockey nation a few years ago...I'm not sure all the relevant results off-hand, but I'm not sure that they aren't on the heels or even with Slovakia at this point...

But Swiss go the distance in a gold medal game right after the Germans go the distance in a gold medal game just three months apart...should be great for the diversification of the 2021 thru 2023 NHL drafts... :thumb:

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun May 20, 2018 5:45 pm

I think Germany is way behind Switzerland and even Denmark as far as talent development goes.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun May 20, 2018 5:52 pm

Of course they are, but so were the Americans vis a vis Canada until 1980. There was like somewhere between -4 and 0 Americans in the league in the 1970's...then the Miracle happens...look at the drafts around 1983 and 84...then the 1996 World Cup, a silver in '97 World Juniors, a silver in '02 Olympics...America is a legit hockey power in 20 years...

Not saying Germany can rise that quickly, populations n'at, but it takes a spark...I'll bet you dollars to donuts we see a German in the first round of the 2021 or 2022 NHL drafts...

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Mon May 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Yeah, the Swiss have been a developing nation for a while and I think they cemented themselves as a hockey nation a few years ago...I'm not sure all the relevant results off-hand, but I'm not sure that they aren't on the heels or even with Slovakia at this point...

But Swiss go the distance in a gold medal game right after the Germans go the distance in a gold medal game just three months apart...should be great for the diversification of the 2021 thru 2023 NHL drafts... :thumb:
Switzerland is now WAY ahead of Slovakia. IIHF ranking (7 and rising vs. 10 and falling), quality of the home league (even aside from the foreign imports), recent NHL drafts, currently relevant NHL players - everything is in favor of Switzerland. In fact, the main goal of the last several Slovak national teams was not to get relegated from the world group (this year, they were protected as the next WC host, but a few times before their fate was resolved during the last 1-2 games). Switzerland, meanwhile, as now pretty much a constant participant in every QF.

If anything, Switzerland is getting very close - if not already equal - to the Czech Republic (IIHF No. 6 and trending down). After all, the last Czech medal happened in 2012 (13?)...

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon May 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Yeah, after reading it, that's all very agreeable...that's right on.