In this thread, I will name a guy who I remember

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:16 pm

alliteration part 3

Mario Marois played almost 1000 games in the NHL with five teams. He had two stints with both the Nordiques and the Jets, including one stint where he wore the C. I don't remember much about him at all except when I first heard his name years ago I thought it was Mario Marios.

(I really wanted to post this past Sunday on Mario Day.)
HEY!

I don't remember much of this guy, other than I had his trading card. Seeing the name made me think it read Mario Marios, and was a very strange name indeed. This was before I knew anything about France (except it was where the naked ladies danced) or what a French Canadian was.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:15 pm

hahaha, so I wasn't the only one.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:01 pm

In honor of the Friars in the Frozenl four and their first ever Hockey East title, this repeat:

Chris Terreri was able to carve himself a decent NHL career despite being 4'9" and 93 lbs. The last starter for NJD before a guy named Brodeur, he started the practice of having a water bottle on the nets. While the modern day mask style came into popularity during the height of his career, Terreri said, "Nah, I shant taketh my health and well-being into consideration, for I will continue to wear this inferior bucket for reasons no mortal could possibly understand." He was drafted by the Minnesota Wild in the expansion draft and traded ON THE SAME DAY back to NJD.

Chris is a guy I remember.

I work with a guy who played with Chris at PC and coincidentally, we were discussing him recently. My biggest memory of him was that in the first hockey game I ever attended, Mario intercepted an NJD pass at center ice, skated in and beat him like a rented mule.

In 2008, Chris was voted the top goalie in then-25 years of Hockey East history

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/pre ... nov6tg.php

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:37 pm

Peter Mueller is a guy I remember who retired way too early. I thought he was retired, but it looks like he has mostly been playing in Europe since 2013. He did make a brief comeback to North America when he played with the P-Bruins in 2016-17.

What I do remember about Mueller is that he had lots of concussions, including a pair that caused him to miss the 2010-11 NHL season. He ended up playing 297 games in the NHL, which I thought was kinda low. But considering the amount of time he missed due to concussions and other injuries, maybe it isn't all that low.

This past season, he played for HC Kometa Brno of the Czech Extraliga and was a point per game player, scoring 45 points in 43 games.

Although I didn't remember that today was his birthday (happy 31st b-day), I remember Peter Mueller.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:18 pm

I remember Evgeni Malkin.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:29 am

Did he go back to Russia?

tjand72

Postby tjand72 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:12 pm

In honor of the Friars in the Frozenl four and their first ever Hockey East title, this repeat:

Chris Terreri was able to carve himself a decent NHL career despite being 4'9" and 93 lbs. The last starter for NJD before a guy named Brodeur, he started the practice of having a water bottle on the nets. While the modern day mask style came into popularity during the height of his career, Terreri said, "Nah, I shant taketh my health and well-being into consideration, for I will continue to wear this inferior bucket for reasons no mortal could possibly understand." He was drafted by the Minnesota Wild in the expansion draft and traded ON THE SAME DAY back to NJD.

Chris is a guy I remember.

I work with a guy who played with Chris at PC and coincidentally, we were discussing him recently. My biggest memory of him was that in the first hockey game I ever attended, Mario intercepted an NJD pass at center ice, skated in and beat him like a rented mule.

In 2008, Chris was voted the top goalie in then-25 years of Hockey East history

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/pre ... nov6tg.php
I legitimately had to look up his stats because I almost believed that he was that small. He's listed as 5'9" and 155 pounds. I'm sure that his old-school mask saved him at least half of a pound.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Hakan Loob is a guy I remember. The Calgary Flames were winning the 1989 Stanley Cup around the time I started watching hockey. He was a RW on that team. Upon having his name etched on the Cup, he returned to Sweden for the remainder of his career.

He was the first Swedish player to score 50 goals in a year in the NHL, and, as far as I can tell from my limited Wikipedia research, second European after Jari Kurri.

He played for Färjestad until 1996. The trophy given to the Swedish Elite League's top goal scorer is named after him.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:39 pm

Jeff Lazaro is a guy I remember, mostly because I think every other 91-92 Pro Set pack had his card in there.

Lazaro was an undersized forward who played 109 games in the NHL from 1990 to 1993 (73 with the B's, 1990-92; 26 with the Senators, 1992-93.) He was also a member of the 1994 Olympic team. After the 1993-94 season, Lazaro played several seasons in Austria and Germany. He returned back to the states in 1997 and joined the ECHL's New Orleans Brass, leading the team in scoring twice during his tenure. Lazaro retired during the 2001-02 season due to a knee injury.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:49 pm

Hmph, a hockey player I don't know...that's rare. This is a guy I don't remember...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:50 pm

You should get that hair cut mikey

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:07 am

Hakan Loob
sounds like a Star Wars character

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:17 am

You should get that hair cut mikey
can we confirm that he doesn't already have it?

tjand72

Postby tjand72 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:11 pm

Hakan Loob
sounds like a Star Wars character
John Buccigross would be proud of that one.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu May 16, 2019 11:15 am

Garth Butcher is a guy I remember.

I defy you to find a guy you remember that has a more "stay-at-home defenseman from the late 80s/early 90s" look than Garth Butcher:

Garth allegedly scored 48 goals over nearly 900 NHL games over 16 seasons, but I feel confident that each of them was from the neutral zone, as Garth did not cross into the offensive zone for any reason.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu May 16, 2019 11:30 am

My man.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu May 16, 2019 1:48 pm

I have zero recollection of this pylon

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu May 16, 2019 2:10 pm

I defy you to find a guy you remember that has a more "stay-at-home defenseman from the late 80s/early 90s" look than Garth Butcher:

Garth allegedly scored 48 goals over nearly 900 NHL games over 16 seasons, but I feel confident that each of them was from the neutral zone, as Garth did not cross into the offensive zone for any reason.
206 points, 2302 PIM. Assume he was not in the house last night or he'd have hand passed a puck right into some dadhole referee's face.

Those early 90s Blues teams included Brett Hull and Craig Janney but their captain was Garth freaking Butcher???? (edit: Meh. looking at Janney's stats he's not as good as I thought he was).
Last edited by RonnieFranchise on Thu May 16, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu May 16, 2019 2:12 pm

i reported your post pal, have fun back at LGP and bring all your bullsht with you

"pylon"

I will fight your whole face

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu May 16, 2019 2:16 pm

206 points, 2302 PIM. Assume he was not in the house last night or he'd have hand passed a puck right into some dadhole referee's face.

Those early 90s Blues teams included Brett Hull and Craig Janney but their captain was Garth freaking Butcher???? (edit: Meh. looking at Janney's stats he's not as good as I thought he was).
Those Blues teams were great

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu May 16, 2019 2:18 pm

i reported your post pal, have fun back at LGP and bring all your bullsht with you

"pylon"

Like a true NHL ref. A mod saw it, and the mod is too afraid to change the outcome of the game, he ignored it.

meow

Postby meow » Thu May 16, 2019 3:27 pm

"pylon"

Like a true NHL ref. A mod saw it, and the mod is too afraid to change the outcome of the game, he ignored it.
YOU ARE CHANGING THE OUTCOME BY IGNORING IT

meow

Postby meow » Thu May 16, 2019 3:27 pm

"pylon"

Dude. Even his mullet is third rate. Get real

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Butcher was a hot commodity back in the day...

At the '91 deadline, he was dealt for Geoff Courtnall, Cliff Ronning, Robert Dirk and Sergio Momesso.

Pat Quinn orchestrated the deal to St. Louis on the condition that the Blues also take Dan Quinn, who Pat Quinn wanted to get rid of by any means necessary. But what a haul...prime Ronning, prime Courtnall for all his warts, prime Momesso for what he brought...basically setup the 1994 team...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu May 16, 2019 3:43 pm

"pylon"

YOU ARE CHANGING THE OUTCOME BY IGNORING IT
Alright, you're out of here. Get to the box. 2 minutes, second man in.