In this thread, I will name a guy who I remember

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:09 am

i remember former Buffalo Sabre Doug Bodger. Because BODGER looked like BOOGER with the font that Buff used on their jerseys. Many laughs were had as an 11 year old with low standards for comedy.
Former Penguin

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:35 am

Early in my family's tenure as season ticket holders, a young Dickie Dunn went to the home opener of the 1998-99 season to watch his beloved Penguins, fearlessly and boringly led by Coach Kevin Constantine, take on the hated New York Rangers. Excitement filled the air as my heroes took the ice.......and were joined by two shitheel defensemen by the names of Jeff Serowik and Victor Ignatjev. They had seemingly appeared out of thin air to join my favorite team and they sucked ass and no matter how hard I try, they remain guys I remember.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:53 am

In a hockey simulator game that had its clock turned back to 97-98, I turned Ignatjevs into a very useful third pairing guy...Serowik ended up in the minors until his contract ended...but yeah, I don't remember much of VI, but I am cognizant that he existed haha...there's a number of defensemen that have come through our ranks in the last 20 years that I could really do without occupying my memory bank...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:18 am

You remember a former 100-point getter?
Oh please. They used to hand out 100-point getters like tic tacs.
:thumb:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:23 am

Bryan Fogarty was (by far) the Penguins worst rated defenseman in NHL 94. I don't remember ever watching him play a game, just thinking that he must really suck. He didn't suck; he was just an alcoholic drug addict and now he's dead, but because of that 38 overall rating in a video game 25ish years ago, Bryan Fogarty is a guy I remember.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:24 am

50 goal scorers, too. See; Cheechoo, Jonathan.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:48 am

Fogarty could have been a whale of a player...he was a pretty insane talent...

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:57 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OouiL3pnwNo

The "bionic man" Petr Buzek has been ridiculed by people we call "idiots" as the 'worst NHL All Star ever' (thanks to some ridiculous policy asking all NHL teams to be represented). In reality, he is the SINGLE MOST AMAZING NHL PLAYER EVER TO PUT ON A PAIR OF SKATES. I had the pleasure to talk to him during my short glorious career as a NHL hockey writer, and alongside Vinny Prospal, he was the nicest guy I ever interviewed - and gave the most memorable "story." Below is the combination of my fading memory of the interview and stuff that has been written about him

Buzek was projected to be a top-10 draft pick - until he contracted "18yearonitis". Took a car, drove 100+km/h on the local winding roads near his mountain-y hometown, didn't wear a seat belt - and crashed into a tree. He spent several says in a coma. His doctors were almost decided that one of his legs needed to be amputated. The list below is a reasonably close presentation of how he got "repaired":
His original list of injuries included, but is not limited to:

A broken right ankle that was put back together in a manner described as looking like an erector set (seven screws and a plate)
A broken left femur that was reassembled using either 10 or 20 screws, plus a plate and possibly a titanium rod
A broken right wrist that needed two additional screws to repair
A shattered patella that was initially repaired with screws, then had to be re-broken to fix the original repair and re-assembled with different screws
A broken left hip, which was repaired naturally without plates or screws
A hairline fracture to his skull, specifically the frontal bone
At least one broken cheekbone, possibly two
A big toe that required a fusion procedure to repair
A broken nose
A lingering malady described by one reporter as “pain when the humidity changes, when the weather turns cold, when he sleeps on his ankle wrong. Basically, all the time”, five years after the crash.
I had the opportunity to peek at his legs. Those were not legs of a human being. All his shoes and skates have to be custom made, because he cannot fit into anything "normal." I don't think there has ever been a professional athlete in any sport that would be able to perform in a top league with as much metal work as Buzek has permanently lodged in his body. There is not any army in the world - and that probably includes mercenaries - that would deem him fit for service. Most likely, he would be eligible to sign for social security disability any time.

Anyway, Buzek told me a few things about his recovery. First - people in and around the NHL actually heard a rumor that he died or is permanently unable to walk. So his agent made him FLY to the US for the draft just to basically prove Buzek was alive. It magically worked, because Dallas inexplicably selected him in the 3rd round - as what I believe was the first player taken while bound to a wheelchair ever. Second - there were setbacks. Some of the screws put originally got loose a few month later, so he had to go for more surgeries. Third - even as an NHL player, he told me how much pain he was constantly because of the temperature and humidity related metal contractions and expansions. He said that he tends to forget the pain while playing, but every time he got outside in say, Calgary or Edmonton - the pain was quite unbearable. BTW - he finished his NHL career in CALGARY!! :scared:

So, the fact that Buzek was able resume his career just about 1.5 years after the crash, made it to 157(!!!) NHL games (during a career cut short of - you guessed it - repeated concussions), won the 2000 World Championship, and WAS A FREAKIN' ALL STAR - makes this story a true miracle. Michael Bay would probably refuse to film it, because it would seem too unrealistic for him.

A nice guy. Hard worker (who, by the way, self-taught himself English while recovering from the crash). No chip on his shoulder. Humble (totally understood that he himself was to blame for the crash).

Petr Buzek is a guy I will forever remember.

PS: Here is a more complete story of Petr Buzek:
https://nathangabay.com/artifacts-from- ... star-game/
Last edited by Tomas on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:59 pm

Coming off a successful World Championship with Russia, German Titov came to the NHL at the tender age of 28. After five productive seasons with the Flames, he was traded to Pittsburgh with Todd Hlushko for David Roche and the Pens' beloved backup Kenny Wregget in June 1998. "The Tank" would play parts of two seasons with the Penguins, scoring 28 goals and 70 assists in 135 games, before he was dealt to the Oilers at the 2000 deadline for Josef Beranek. He would play two more years in Anaheim before returning to Russia. Titov finished his NHL career with 377 points in 624 games.

German Titov is a guy I remember.
I did not recall Titov being that productive offensively, even allowing for points deflation since.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:59 pm

That Flames jersey is something else.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:00 pm

Early in my family's tenure as season ticket holders, a young Dickie Dunn went to the home opener of the 1998-99 season to watch his beloved Penguins, fearlessly and boringly led by Coach Kevin Constantine, take on the hated New York Rangers. Excitement filled the air as my heroes took the ice.......and were joined by two shitheel defensemen by the names of Jeff Serowik and Victor Ignatjev. They had seemingly appeared out of thin air to join my favorite team and they sucked ass and no matter how hard I try, they remain guys I remember.
I have never heard the name "Jeff Serowik" in my life.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:01 pm

I did not know that any of that. Great stuff, Tomas, as usual. :thumb:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:14 pm

Ignatjev and Serowik were referred to as itchy and scratchy in the shmenguin household. I remember them seeming decent for a half season or so before the wheels came off.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:12 pm

Ignatjev destroyed his shoulder and Serowik suffered a career ending concussion.

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:44 pm

guy I remember, guy I hated.

Some of my early flyer hatred - that one playoff series I believe in 88-89.... f-ing flyers and Tim Kerr....

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:47 pm

Also - not a guy a remember, but is the 88-89 Hart trophy the single most travesty in terms of awards in the history of sports? Sure a bit sarcastic, but I mean... cmon.

Although 91-92 hart might be worse. Mario's 131 pts leads the league (in 64 games played), but he can't get a single first place vote.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:09 pm

The Kings added 23 points to their standings and finished 2nd in a tough Smythe Division thanks to Gretzky...the Pens were the same team in a ****** division...he also doubled Bernie Nicholls point total from the year before...doubled it. 150 points I believe is the highest mark ever scored by a non HHOF in history...

Not saying it's right, per se...but there's a fair claim...he went to a new team and had a colossal impact on a perennial loser...

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Bob Essensa is someone I intensely associate with the original version of the Winnipeg Jets, and the first player I would name if you said name a Jet from the original franchise. He spent 12 years in the NHL, half of those with Winnipeg as their starter. He also spent time with the Wings, Oilers, Coyotes, Canucks, and Sabres, but after leaving Winnipeg he was largely relegated to a back-up role. Essensa posted a career record of 173-176-47, averaging 3.15 GAA with a lifetime .895 save%. Despite being a largely slighty-below average to average goalie in his career, Essensa sparkled in 91-92, posting a .910 save % and leading the NHL with five shutouts. Essensa even garnered a third place Hart vote and finished third in the Vezina voting won by Patrick Roy.

Bob is a guy I remember.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:49 pm

As a postscript to Bob, this is pretty cool, I must have missed this:
On Mar 28, 2015, Bob Essensa, the 50-year-old Bruins goalie coach, dressed as backup after Tuukka Rask left the game; the Bruins goaltender skated off the ice in the second period due to suspected dehydration.

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:31 pm

The Kings added 23 points to their standings and finished 2nd in a tough Smythe Division thanks to Gretzky...the Pens were the same team in a ****** division...he also doubled Bernie Nicholls point total from the year before...doubled it. 150 points I believe is the highest mark ever scored by a non HHOF in history...

Not saying it's right, per se...but there's a fair claim...he went to a new team and had a colossal impact on a perennial loser...
I'll say it - it wasn't right.... just like the next guy I remember wasn't right...

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:05 am

Bob Essensa is someone I intensely associate with the original version of the Winnipeg Jets, and the first player I would name if you said name a Jet from the original franchise. He spent 12 years in the NHL, half of those with Winnipeg as their starter. He also spent time with the Wings, Oilers, Coyotes, Canucks, and Sabres, but after leaving Winnipeg he was largely relegated to a back-up role. Essensa posted a career record of 173-176-47, averaging 3.15 GAA with a lifetime .895 save%. Despite being a largely slighty-below average to average goalie in his career, Essensa sparkled in 91-92, posting a .910 save % and leading the NHL with five shutouts. Essensa even garnered a third place Hart vote and finished third in the Vezina voting won by Patrick Roy.

Bob is a guy I remember.

I have an Essensa stick.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:02 am

Chris Terreri was able to carve himself a decent NHL career despite being 4'9" and 93 lbs. The last starter for NJD before a guy named Brodeur, he started the practice of having a water bottle on the nets. While the modern day mask style came into popularity during the height of his career, Terreri said, "Nah, I shant taketh my health and well-being into consideration, for I will continue to wear this inferior bucket for reasons no mortal could possibly understand." He was drafted by the Minnesota Wild in the expansion draft and traded ON THE SAME DAY back to NJD.

Chris is a guy I remember.

I work with a guy who played with Chris at PC and coincidentally, we were discussing him recently. My biggest memory of him was that in the first hockey game I ever attended, Mario intercepted an NJD pass at center ice, skated in and beat him like a rented mule.

In 2008, Chris was voted the top goalie in then-25 years of Hockey East history

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/pre ... nov6tg.php

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:15 am

Defenseman Andy Cesarski

Drafted in the 10th round, 207th overall, by the St. Louis Blues in the 1987 draft. Played four years at Princeton (87-90).

Never played a game in the NHL.

(Was my high school coaches kid, the rumor was that he played for the Blues which I guess is a half-truth.)

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:17 am

Captain at Princeton...not a big deal...

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:38 am

I have never heard the name "Jeff Serowik" in my life.
Alas I have been unable to find a photo or Jeff in the uniform of the mighty Friars but here he is playing for the city's minor league Bruins affiliate

He had a pretty good year for the P-Bruins in 94-95 putting up 28-34-62 with 102 PIM but never caught on in the NHL