Amateur Hockey Thread

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:44 am

Do you still play out North Park? If so was it Dave?
Unrelated to our game:
We didnt want to have to make this public, but since our North Park Inline group is being hijacked, we need to make a public statement.

David Gillespie has been relieved of his refing duties due to his actions during an altercation last week. Our referees are not permitted to punch players in the face. David did so after repeatedly after being pushed. The player who pushed him is suspended indefinitely for we do not tolerate players pushing officials. David did not feel he did anything wrong and made the situation public. Due to the potential for future liability he was let go. He was allowed to continue to play at the rink and hang out but has decided to try another route by trying to take legal action against the rink. For this reason, David is no longer allowed on the premises. We do our best to provide and fun and safe hockey experience. When people act out of line, there are consequenses. We wish David the best in his future endeavors and for everything he did at the rink, but from a liability standpoint we were advised that he no longer be part of our team.
I feel bad. That shitty game aside, Dave was always cool to everyone in the games he's reffed or played in at our level.

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:48 am

Is this the first case that you're taking...?

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:52 am

No. Was just discussing the possible litigation with my wife (former paralegal, smarter than me) and we don't see damages available for someone that makes $11/game.

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:26 am

Yeah, I didn't get that either...you're suing to go back to being a ref for men's league...? The settlement would be what: you're allowed to still play here but you can only ref youth? Oh, and here's a check for $0...
Last edited by mikey on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

MR25

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MR25 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:26 am

I think he made a post about that in the Pittsburgh Adult Hockey group. Just seemed like a bad situation all around.

Joegap

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Joegap » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:40 pm

Do you still play out North Park? If so was it Dave?
Unrelated to our game:
We didnt want to have to make this public, but since our North Park Inline group is being hijacked, we need to make a public statement.

David Gillespie has been relieved of his refing duties due to his actions during an altercation last week. Our referees are not permitted to punch players in the face. David did so after repeatedly after being pushed. The player who pushed him is suspended indefinitely for we do not tolerate players pushing officials. David did not feel he did anything wrong and made the situation public. Due to the potential for future liability he was let go. He was allowed to continue to play at the rink and hang out but has decided to try another route by trying to take legal action against the rink. For this reason, David is no longer allowed on the premises. We do our best to provide and fun and safe hockey experience. When people act out of line, there are consequenses. We wish David the best in his future endeavors and for everything he did at the rink, but from a liability standpoint we were advised that he no longer be part of our team.
I feel bad. That shitty game aside, Dave was always cool to everyone in the games he's reffed or played in at our level.
What a mess! Dave also shut down the entire North Park Inline Facebook group and just made one post saying if you want to hear the entire story send me a message. Dave was always cool with everyone, and I hope he is ok.

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:42 pm

I hope they cool off for a few months and he's back in the fall. My biggest gripe with him is he parks his motorcycle in the handicapped parking spot right against the door. It's like he wants it to get bashed with sticks and bags.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:26 pm

Dude has punched multiple players in the face and parks in a handicapped parking spot? Sounds like a total dbag

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:34 pm

To be fair, a handicapped parking spot in the dirt lot on the bench side of a ****-tier hockey rink isn't ever going to realize it's intended purpose.

shoeshine boy

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:23 pm

here's your chance to make to The Show! :lol:

https://login.ezfacility.com/OnlineRegi ... pID=243951

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:34 pm

10 years ago me would be foolish enough to consider it. Not now. :lol:

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:22 pm

@meow you trying to get back in one...?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 pm

#inone

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:18 am

That’s a quick way for a team to make $25k. There’s a slim chance that they keep anyone

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:50 am

Had the last game of our second season last night; notched my first goal since high school. I'm our only stay at home defenseman so I don't consider goal scoring to be part of duties but it was still fun. Took a great feed from the corner to the high slot, picked my spot, released, and hit it. Felt great. My first goal in ice hockey was a door step Hornqvist style scrum tap in; was really happy my first inline goal was the result of reading a play and executing correctly.

My game is still progressing, the goal aside, last nights game was likely the best inline game I ever played. Didn't have any gaffs, clogged up passing lanes, won some puck battles and hit a fair number of my outlet passes. Really happy. We only had six skaters last night and one of our defenseman got hurt so for most of the 2nd period it was just me and my partner. In the heat and humidity (building has no AC) it was a slog, but we kept our compete level up and ended up winning 8-6, including coming back from a 3-5 deficit. I had a several minute shift where I was a +/-0 on four goals scored, just crazy back and forth.

Lots of fun, looking forward to the playoffs.

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:54 am

Not sure what happened but we got murdered in our playoff game last night. The other team outplayed us and we lost 8-3, but it was just bonkers that everything went right for them and we just couldn't get anything to fall. We scored our last two goals in the last 4 minutes so it wasn't even close. I think we were tied at the end of the first but then gave up bunch in the opening minutes of the second and we never challenged after that. This was a team we beat 8-4 two weeks ago.

Really a dismal way to end our second season.

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:02 pm

First game back since that playoff game mentioned above.

Was feeling good. Didn't have my pants as tight as they should have been. They came down enough for me to skate over them while skating backwards. Had enough momentum to go parallel to the floor before landing on my hip and elbow. Total yard sale. The snag pulled my pants down, to boot.

We lost 5-4, not a great night. Everything from my neck to my knee is starting to cramp up into one big not. This is going to suck in the morning.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:56 am

so...the only casualty to anything I own after the Hurricane was my hockey equipment. I think there was a small leak in my garage and all my stuff got drenched and now some of it has this white-ish/gray-ish mold.

Is any of the stuff salvagable? or is it more of a "if it has mold on it it's gone" situation?

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:17 am

If it's not engulfed in mold, you probably can...get a tub full of hot water, some vinegar, some professional-type cleaner like Oxi-clean or whatever...soak it for a while...drain tub...then more hot water and give it a good scrubbing...let it dry in the hot afternoon sun and if you can get a fan on it too, even better...

If it's your helmet, bleh, that might freak me out a little...

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:25 pm

Bad night for skates for me last night.

Went out for warm-ups and my left boot was feeling really weird, felt like the wheels were pressing up through the boot. Since my second-from-the-front wheel does indeed press into the boot sometimes I didn't think anything of it. I'm experimenting with tying my skates tighter and thought it was a side effect from that. Turns out I played the whole game with the chassis partially separated from the boot:

Obviously reason enough to buy new skates.

Anyway, later in the game I was behind my net and someone from the other team fell on my lower body. In the moment it completely froze the rear wheel of my right skate. I went to the bench and removed the axle, put it back on, and it could spin so I finished the game. Felt like I was skating in sand, though, really tough to be effective. Was looking at it today:

I've had them since 2013 and originally bought them for urban skating and pick-up game type stuff so I'm not mad; just funny both boots died a tragic death on the same night.

I've ordered a pair of X600Rs. I anticipate they will be light years ahead of the X40Rs in terms of quality. I wanted to wait until I lost some more weight to upgrade but this is fine.

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:52 pm

That's the worst. Normally you only see that when the rivets have sufficiently rusted...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby meow » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:26 pm

Those are weird looking ice skates

tjand72

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby tjand72 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:49 pm

I'm thinking about getting into an inline league. I have some rarely-used Mission skates from my younger days, but they are entirely too narrow for my feet. They literally rubbed a hole on the side of my foot the last time I wore them for more than an hour.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what type/brand of skate I should buy? I'm looking for mid or mid/low tier skates. Not $100 pieces of plastic, but not $400 either (I found out today that there are $1000 inline hockey skates...$1000!). I don't know if Mission is just unusually narrow or what, but I certainly don't wear a wide shoe width.

I"m seeing the brand Alkali. Is this essentially the new Tour brand that's sub entry-level, or is it okay quality?

Are there major pitch differences among brands? Models within brands? I plan on playing defense, I suppose.

I'm also a little heavier at about 240, so I don't know if that matters. The surface is Sport Court.

I feel out of the loop. I was on top of everything 20 years ago when I bought all of my stuff at Rupp's and played on asphalt all day, but I think I've been out of it too long to make an educated decision on my own.

Any input is appreciated.

Jim

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Those are weird looking ice skates

Apparently some people are still living in 1998.

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:09 pm

I have wide feet...I wear Eastons in roller and Bauers in ice and have no real issues...I also wear ice skates smaller than is traditional...I, for no obvious reason, don't do that in roller.

Based on what you describe, I might look towards Easton Stealths or Synergys...RBK makes a wider fit as well I believe...