Amateur Hockey Thread

Joegap

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Joegap » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:21 am

Im thinking about getting into an inline league at neville in the summer. I havent used ice or inline skates nor a hockey stick in years.
Z league will be right up your alley then til you get your legs back under you. There is also a rink out North Park by Wildwood Highlands if you live closer out there. www.northparkinline.com

Craig

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Craig » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:55 am

No thats probably the league i end up in after im in shape. pop

MR25

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MR25 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:31 pm

Played my first game in the draft league, forgot how fun it was to play with people who aren't 4 levels above me.

Dan H

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Dan H » Sun May 15, 2016 5:10 pm

<beer league>
So last night my team is down 3 to 1 with maybe 8 minutes left, we've got the puck in the offensive zone, turn it over and as their winger is trying to skate it out of the zone a guy playing defenseman on my team rides him into the boards a bit too hard for a no-check league. Nothing that would get a boarding call in a checking league, but the guy loses his stick and the ref's arm goes up. The puck squirts back toward the net and my teammate skates after it. The guy who got checked and lost his stick turns, beelines for my teammate who is now halfway across the zone, takes a huge windup with his leg and karate-kicks him in the hamstring with his skate blade. Another of my teammates quickly tackles Kicky McKickface before he kills somebody. We ended up shorthanded after the refs sent checker and kicker to the locker room and put tackler in the box.
</beer league>

Craig

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Craig » Sun May 15, 2016 5:37 pm

The response to the kick guy should have been someone using their stick as a weapon.

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Sun May 15, 2016 8:39 pm

That should be enough to get him banned from the facility...especially if there's any surveillance footage...

Dan H

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Dan H » Sun May 15, 2016 9:45 pm

That should be enough to get him banned from the facility...especially if there's any surveillance footage...
Nope. According to our captain after talking to the refs afterward, the guy got one game. You pretty much have to literally kill a guy to get in real trouble nowadays. I've complained about this on here before, so I won't repeat myself beyond restating that hockey needs to fix this crap at all levels, NHL on down.

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Sun May 15, 2016 9:52 pm

One of my players (not under my watch at the time, just a house league) cross checked a guy in the mouth pretty maliciously, broke a lot of bones in the guy's face...he was banned from the rink...

A bit surprising that at the house league level that would not be considered a serious offense...that's on the rink's management...

MR25

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MR25 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:15 am

Somehow it took me 5 years of playing, but I finally got high-sticked in the face playing dek hockey today. What made it worse was the kid who sticked me was wearing a full cage and helmet and tried to blame it on me.

shoeshine boy

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon May 16, 2016 8:31 am

wow. that's just...wow. my league is player-run rather than run by the rink and as a result our discipline tends to be much harsher. we are the best league in town and we don't care if you get mad and leave because you will be replaced in a heartbeat. kick like that in our league will get you a Match Penalty and you will have a hearing before the board. at your hearing you will likely get suspended for life and if you're lucky you can petition to re-join the league after X years.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon May 16, 2016 9:33 am

one thing I've realized is that my shot is pretty turds. I have an ok wrister, but I stopped playing legitimate hockey one year after I was old enough to start taking slapshots, but since I was only in that league for a year, I never developed a slapshot. Also, I can't lift the puck on my backhand at all. Maybe that's just due to the curvature of my stick...

Dan H

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Dan H » Mon May 16, 2016 9:50 am

one thing I've realized is that my shot is pretty turds. I have an ok wrister, but I stopped playing legitimate hockey one year after I was old enough to start taking slapshots, but since I was only in that league for a year, I never developed a slapshot. Also, I can't lift the puck on my backhand at all. Maybe that's just due to the curvature of my stick...
It probably isn't the stick. ;) That's a skill you can practice in your garage if you've got a net. Just put a puck down on a concrete surface (or a shooting pad) right in front of whatever net you've got available and try to lift the puck on your backhand, working on the wrist motion you need. I think you need to go open-close-open with your wrists, but honestly I'm not sure because once you've got it down you just do it without thinking much about it. There's no shortage of how-to material on the net.

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Mon May 16, 2016 11:13 am

I don't take slapshots, as I rarely have a need to use them. They take too long to get a way. Then again, I play the game like Patric Hornqvist. So, my ability to shake loose for a slapshot is not high.

My guess is that you're using your arms too much in your shot. Shoot with your legs. You can be the strongest guy in the world and still have a noodle shot if you don't transfer your weight properly through your shot. One fast way, though it can be a little bit uncomfortable for some, to learn how to transfer your weight and get a lot into your shot while simulating game action is:

Next time you're in warm-ups or whatever, get a puck, skate from just outside the blueline to around the top the circles taking a proper arc towards the net. You ought not to play the game in a straight line, you should always be funneling towards the net. Skating in a straight line down the rink puts you at a natural disadvantage in most situations. With a proper arc towards the net, cross over with your outside skate towards the net while cradling the puck, all in one motion release your shot as your weight transfers through the skating motion. Difficult to type without someone next to you coaching you through it, I can provide more details if necessary or try to find video.

I've found that your shot will improve within about 8 pucks once you get the mechanics of it down.

Cross-over, arc-ing towards the net, weight transfer goes right through the stick (and you can lean on that stick a little...I don't know your flex relative to your body...but I'm assuming you probably have some whip to it) and through the follow-through of the shot...your skating stride will walk you towards the net (as opposed to straight line skating which will carry you away from your target - shooting one way, skating another...a good player always follows his shot to the net in search of a rebound or to get a whistle in a PK situation for instance. So, not only does it fix your shot but it also puts you in a position to make a positive impact on the rink.

Re: backhand shooting. Tends to just "click" with people after practice of motion. Try a deeper knee bend with proper weight transfer. You'll want to bring the puck back quickly (away from the shot direction) and then get up and under it on the backhand with that weight transfer. I really let my body's torque get power on it. Like throwing a baseball with the wrong hand, it may be aided by body torque to dig in and through the motion. Watch how Sidney Crosby and Paul Kariya backhand the puck, watch the body motion as they are able to drive through and whip backhanders even from moderate distance. But bringing the puck "back" with the forehand side of your stick in between your skates (not literally, but the planes that your skates would occupy if they extended forward) and then digging in underneath on the backhand and shifting through that motion will help.

Start with backhand shots from mid-range, not from in close. In close shots rely much more heavily on wrists/forearms. Work on the motion from mid-range so you can fully use weight transfers/body torque, master that. Then change to more acute angles. Then work on getting them from in close.

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Mon May 16, 2016 11:35 am

Source of the post I don't take slapshots, as I rarely have a need to use them.
Same. I think because I'm 6'4" and not terribly well coordinated it's just not worth it. I have a strong enough wrister that I never developed a real slap shot, even when I played in HS.

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Mon May 16, 2016 11:37 am

I fake slapshots, because no one has a book on you and it causes a goalie to drop at the very low levels that I play at...but other than that, I don't see the need for me to do them...it really doesn't fit my style. I don't really encourage my players to use it unless they really are packing some heat...

Craig

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Craig » Mon May 16, 2016 12:59 pm

Yeah i never really learned to lift a backhander. I just couldnt do it and then at one point could. Not having even beld a stick in years though, who knows if i could even do it with any authority now. Almost definitely while just standing, but probably not moving on skates.

Easiest way to wrist it to me is coming left to right as a righty and just lean way into it. I would just work on that over and over again and then start tweaking it. Come in at a less ideal angle or lean a little off balance.

Keep in mind that i was never good but thats how i improved at least. my offensive contributions came in transition off a turnover and almost always was on a deke rather than shot or from tapins on rebounds when i was the talentless/skillless hack screening in front.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby meow » Mon May 16, 2016 1:10 pm

More ice, less puck

MR25

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MR25 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:12 pm

I learned closed-open and pop-closed for lifting a backhand. The 1st closed cups the puck, and you can get under it with the open and pop. The last close is for the control or something like that.

bhflyhigh

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby bhflyhigh » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:48 am

Last night our roller team won the fall league championship at the local indoor rink! It was pretty awesome. We were down 5-2 at the start of the 3rd and made a comeback to tie it 5-5 to force OT. We started OT on the power play and scored maybe 45 seconds into play. I know it's only a silly men's league, but it sure does feel good to win once in a while.

Oh, and we got paid for winning. So I guess that makes me a paid hockey player now. That's right. Semi-Professional hockey player now. lol.

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:50 am

:lol:

Congrats!

shoeshine boy

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:01 am

resurrecting this old thread to ask a question of those of you that play beer league.
when things get heated between 2 players do you ever hear the combatants throwing out slurs and if so, what does your league do about it?
my league has recently enacted a zero tolerance on ethnic/gender/sexual orientation slurs. tossing one out will earn you a match penalty and a hearing before The Board. tonight we have a Board meeting with 3 match penalties.
I'm talking things like the "N" word, "F" word and the "C" word.
our league doesn't want to be the P.C. police but at the same time, where do we draw the line?

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 am

C word? That does that apply here or am I not thinking of the right one...?

I coached in a tournament where a player used the F-word (sexual orientation word) but not at anyone...he was coming to our bench and really said it to no one in particular and the ref tried to suspend him for three games on the spot. Naturally, that wasn't in the rules anywhere nor are officials permitted to suspend players on the ice. So I fought against it and settled on being tossed from that game. That was a good five years ago now I guess...

That said, just because you're on the rink doesn't mean that you should have free reign to use the n-word and this other stuff...you're just asking for trouble by allowing that. The F-word (four letter) is the most common word used on any hockey rink at any age, that's fine...the four letter c-word is not hateful, so that's fine...the n-word and the like, I think that's where the line is...those are specifically derogatory...

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:16 am

C word? That does that apply here or am I not thinking of the right one...?
Cracka ass cracka.

Get woke.

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 am

Ugh, I'm so ignorant...

MR25

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MR25 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:31 am

I think I called a dude a c**kbag once, But that was after he boarded me. I got nothing for it, and am not aware of any league policies regarding language.