dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Me? No, I think it's a Stastny.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:17 pm

I think I called a dude a c**kbag once, But that was after he boarded me. I got nothing for it, and am not aware of any league policies regarding language.
I've only run across one inline league where they cracked down on language. The league would mix in early afternoon games for half of the teams twice a month, which was kinda cool since you weren't getting the **** end of the schedule and playing midnight games but it also had potential to mess up any weekend plans. Since I was in my early/mid 20s, I didn't mind it at all.

So why is scheduling relevant to this discussion? Because after the second afternoon game the rink would also have public skating, which meant lot of kids watching the game while they were waiting, they didn't want anybody dropping F bombs. I almost got suspended for a game because I forgot their rule. Some refs tended to relax the rule a little for later games when there wasn't much of a crowd, but there was one older guy who was close with the rink owner who had zero tolerance.

Me: (on the rink for the GWG with a minute left) F***!!! [slams stick]
Ref: You, 44, gone! You know the rules.
Me: S**t!
Ref: That's a game, 44. You know better.
Me: F***
Ref: I can give you another one... [points to the door]

Ended up talking with the ref after the game and told him that I got caught up and forgot the rules. Long story short, the guy who ran the rink who put the rule in place had to overturn it. He did but had it set up as a probation-type deal where if I got tossed for the same thing they would tack that game back on.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby meow » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:49 pm

That’s **** bullshit

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:26 pm

You can't say f*** on a hockey rink...? I'm surprised everyone wasn't sucked into a black hole right then and there...

meow

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby meow » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Does anyone else talk to themselves during games?

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:47 pm

Goalies... :roll:

I talk to myself a lot in normal life...but I don't think I talk to myself on the rink, not meaningfully...if "f*** me" constitutes as talking to myself, then yes. Otherwise, I don't think so haha...

I do occasionally eat candy on the bench though...skittles, starbursts...that's only if I'm not chewing gum...I prefer to chew gum during anything athletic...

Dan H

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Dan H » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:05 pm

I think that guy has been on every team I've ever played on.

There's always one.

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Anyone know anything about the Pittsburgh Ice Arena in New Ken? I saw they have a low level draft league starting in March, so I signed up.
What did you end up thinking about this? From a quick glance it's the only draft league in or around the North Hills. If you want to be on the same team as a friend do they make that work?

MR25

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MR25 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:08 pm

They can do that. I think new players have the option to request that.

My captain is also helping rub the draft for the new session so if you need to be in the same team as someone I can see what she can do

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Any idea when the next session starts? I'm looking at the Over 30 Draft League. Looks like the current one ends March 12. I'm going to be gone for half of April. Maybe I'm better off waiting for summer, assuming they even have summer leagues. :(

MR25

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MR25 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:55 pm

Over 30 league? Probably will start end of March/early April.

They have leagues all year.

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:59 pm

Poking around their site I did come across their flyers for each league instead of their program summary page and it starts March 18th. But knowing now, thanks to your help, that they go year round I'll just wait until May to sign up for the next one when I'll have significantly less work/school travel.

I did see that North Park Inline is signing up adult puck inline right now, too.

MR25

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MR25 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:18 pm

I will say that the date on the flyers is rarely correct, so give it like a 2 week window.

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:06 am

Im thinking about getting into an inline league at neville in the summer. I havent used ice or inline skates nor a hockey stick in years.
Z league will be right up your alley then til you get your legs back under you. There is also a rink out North Park by Wildwood Highlands if you live closer out there. www.northparkinline.com
Me and a couple friends are signing up for this tonight. One of them wants to go to the rink tonight because he doesn't believe everything he reads on the internet. He's in sales, I'm in IT. The personality difference is staggering.

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:11 pm

Had our first game tonight. I just remembered I'm not good at hockey and now my body hurts a lot. We won, though. Woo. Team only had 5 players, so a 1 man bench. Tired af.

shoeshine boy

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 am

how strict is the "no talking back to the refs"policy in your leagues? our league has instituted a "zero tolerance" policy this season for our A level (equivalent to C/D in most places) and imo it's going too far. last Saturday one of my D men took a hooking penalty and after the whistle said, "no way!" (yes, way!) not even loud enough to be heard by the benches and the ref gave him another 2:00 for Unsportsmanlike Conduct. my thought is that we're not pee wees and shouldn't be treated as such. there is no such policy in our higher level divisions and when I scorekeep those higher level games I hear WAY worse stuff go uncalled.

MR25

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby MR25 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:37 am

Most of the refs in our league know everyone. There's a lot of leeway, and most of the time they'll let you give your case, then they'll laugh and tell you to **** off, because it's E league and the only people taking it seriously are the people trying to be the gym class hero.

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:44 am

Yeah, that's pretty extreme. Maybe they had a problem with a different team and need to be fair to everyone by calling everything to the letter?

Our refs were cool, nothing like that. Not sure if A Puck would have the same chill vibe though.

mikey

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:50 am

Never that strict...as a player or as an official myself...though those days are just about gone...

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:51 am

You're hanging up your stripes?

meow

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby meow » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:52 am

How thin skinned are your refs? Holy buckets

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:28 am

I have some questions about inline skate components that I just haven't been able to find online.

The weight limit for my skates is 220lbs and I'm 64lbs over that limit; let that inform my issue. They are Bauer X40R that I've skated on for maybe 20 hours total.

I forgot this was a thing until last night. After I skate for about 20 minutes my bearings begin to bind and it becomes significantly harder to skate. I know it's not just me being tired because if I spin the wheels by hand they stop almost immediately rather than smoothly rolling like they do at the beginning of the night. Would a bearing swap help? They're the stock ABEC-5 bearings that came with the skate.

This chassis runs Hi-Lo which I like, in 80mm-80mm-76mm-76mm configuration. However; given my weight the interior 76mm wheel digs into the boot when under heavy load. Can I safely convert this to 76mm-76mm-72mm-72mm to get a little more agility and keep that second wheel from rubbing? Not sure how that would throw off the geometry of the chassis, if at all. I guess I can just buy a set of four 72mm wheels and try it out, but I can't believe no one on the internet has ever asked this.

Silentom

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:35 am

Hit the gym, fatty magoo.

dodint

Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:43 am

Oh, ****. Hadn't thought of increasing my life expectancy and quality of life through proper diet and exercise. Thanks!

Nitwit.