Be a GM: Buffalo Sabres Edition

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Congratulations! After your work with the Edmonton Oilers, the Buffalo Sabres have offered you a more lucrative contract to be the GM of their rebuilding process.
This proud franchise, beloved by many, is already deep into their rebuilding. The fans are ready to start seeing the fruits of their recent struggles, with a potential #1/#2 pick capping off a prolonged time of losing. First, the current situation of the team. Make sure to note the persons injured at the bottom of the quote; they're particularly important for the Sabres.

(Links here: To the current lineup, via Dailyfaceoff. To the current salary situation, via NHLNumbers. To the prospect pool, via Hockeysfuture.)
[Like last time, it will be Name (Years/Average Cap Hit in millions). 1y = UFA unless noted otherwise.]
Forwards - I've bolded key players, either in terms of salary or prospect.
M. Moulson (5y/5m) - J. Larsson (1y/.81m, RFA) - T. Ennis (5y/4.6m)
M. Foligno (2y/1.825m) - M. Grigorenko (1y/.925m, RFA) - B. Gionta (3y/4.25m)
N. Deslauriers (2y/.637m, RFA) - P. Varone (1y/.595m, RFA) - P. Kaleta (2y/1.25m)
C. Hodgson (5y/4.25m) - M. Ellis (1y/.55m) - Z. Dalpe (1y/.7m, RFA)

Defense
Z. Bogosian (6y/5.143m) - R. Ristolainen (2y/.925m, RFA)
A. Meszaros (1y/4.125m) - T. Strachan (1y/.625m)
A. Benoit (1y/.8m) - N. Zadorov (3y/.9~m, RFA)

Goalies
A. Lindback (1y/.925m)
A. Makarov (2y/.578m)

Injured - All are particularly important for Buffalo
E. Kane (4y/5.25m), J. Gorges (4y/3.9m), Z. Girgensons (2y/.9~m, RFA), M. Weber (2y/1.667m)
Their total cap hit this year is only 62 million, meaning they already have room for FAs. Once again, here is the link to an FA list.

Draft picks: Two 1st rounders (either StL or NYI, whichever is worse), two 2nd rounders (NYI), one of all other rounds (3rd rounder is NYI).

Current coach: Ted Nolan

The Sabres also have some very important prospects. Grigorenko & Girgensons accompany Sam Reinhart as a very strong trio of centers, along with the likely McEichel pick coming up. They have some decent prospects otherwise, but none that seem surefire high-quality players; instead, a lot of good depth.

What do you do, Mr/Mrs. GM?

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:37 pm

1. Pray for the first pick
2. Draft McDavid
3. ?
4. Profit

/next GM job

Craig

Postby Craig » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:19 am

They are doing it right now. Hire tim murray as my assistant and collect a paycheck. My idea for the oilers was to start doing what the sabres are doing now.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:56 am

remain retired

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:58 am

Grigorenko for a second pairing d-man if you can find a taker on that front...then auto-pilot...I like the way they're doing things there...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:20 am

McDavid needs to play with some speedier players. His first 3 steps are phenomenal. He operates at full speed, so either speedy or crafty wingers will be needed.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:39 am

McDavid needs to play with some speedier players. His first 3 steps are phenomenal. He operates at full speed, so either speedy or crafty wingers will be needed.
Geez...it's like you don't even see Matt Moulson and Patrick Kaleta listed there... :roll:

meow

Postby meow » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:51 am

Geez...it's like you don't even see Matt Moulson and Patrick Kaleta listed there... :roll:
OH, I'M SORRY. PLAN THE PARADE

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:04 pm

meow, do you think that Makarov is a future potential starter? Or do they need to find a starting goalie elsewhere, like in the FA? mikey, do you think their wingers (prospects & current) are good enough? Or do you think they'll need to devote a couple draft picks to improving that?

(Also, does this provide a notification? First time I'm trying to use the notification thing.)

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:21 pm

I was not notified, no.

As for wingers, you have Gio and Foligno as maybe line 3 guys...Deslauriers and Kaleta/who cares as 4th line guys...so let's just assume that's all taken care of or could be taken care of relatively easily...

You have Moulson is a complementary guy without a lot of pop to his game...Evander Kane is a top line winger with speed and a shot and some Ovechkin-physicality (i.e. try the same move, have it fail, clobber the guy against the end wall because you blew it)...Ennis is a top-six winger...so, now there's a spot open probably in the top-six...with McDavid, Reinhart, Girgensons down the middle...leaving Johan Larsson and Mikhail Grigorenko unaccounted for...both can play center and wing...Larsson is a little grittier, but maybe doesn't have the offensive upside to be a 2nd line player (maybe...he's been quite good and he plays like a man, which will be nice insulation for the young centers)...Grigorenko for me is just not that good and I'd try to move him out...so maybe then you have Foligno on line 4, Larsson as a 3rd line LW with Girgensons and Gionta and that's a terrific shutdown group...and then you're a wing away...

So conceivably, you could be ok with a tweener add like Curtis Glencross or some such...Joel Ward (is he a FA?)...what have you...

Moulson-McDavid-Kane
Larsson-Reinhart-Ennis
Glencross-Zemgus-Gionta
Foligno-Horcoff-Kaleta/Varone/whatever

Also, I'm assuming they buyout or otherwise flush Cody Hodgson...otherwise, you can classify him under "whatever"...

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:39 pm

Do you think that lineup is capable of winning the cup?

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:41 pm

In 2016? No, of course not. They suck. But the youth needs to continue to grow and be allowed to progress...

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:55 pm

I mean, that core in the future. Sorry for not clarifying.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:04 pm

McDavid-Reinhart-Girgensons with Ristolainen...yeah, that's a strong core. Oh, plus, Hudson Fasching, whenever he comes out...he's a monster winger...

meow

Postby meow » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:24 pm

I also was not notified. Makarov is a nice piece to have, but I'm not sure about his long-term impact. Two things: 1.) I haven't seen him play much so I can't comment too strongly on his game. 2.) He only has 40-ish pro games played. He and Hackett might make a fairly strong tandem in a season or two. Both play a similar game. High on athleticism; go down early, get torched up high. Both crackle through the crease because of strong load and pushes while down. Both going into a butterfly and come out of it beautifully.

To circle back to the initial question of, Can Makarov be a potential starter. I don't really know right now. He has some tools, but like 99.9% of young goalies, whether he can find some consistency will determine is career path.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:20 pm

Would you trust Makarov & Hackett as your contenders for starting next year?

meow

Postby meow » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:29 pm

You almost have to. The UFA market is no bueno.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:33 pm

Grigorenko for Lehner...?

meow

Postby meow » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:34 pm

I'd do it because Grigorenko is more likely to be a bum than Lehner. I would never put my eggs in the Robin Lehner basket if I have playoff hopes.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:21 pm

Ted Nolan fired. Losing to the Pens was the final straw.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:32 pm

Ted Nolan fired. Losing to the Pens was the final straw.
I kind of want the Sabres to lose the lottery now.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:06 pm

Can I undo the Meyers trade?