A Fond Farewell to Bob Miller

BigMck

Postby BigMck » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:21 am

3,351 games broadcast. 57 years between radio and TV. Age 78.

LA Kings announcer Bob Miller announced his formal intent to retire. April 8 vs Blackhawks and April 9 at the Ducks will be the last games he calls.

When me and a buddy had season seats at the Great Western Forum for the Kings, we scoped out the quickest exit in the parking lot after the game. Bob Miller would arrive during our tailgate ritual (Orangeboom tall boys, 3 each, some type of pita chip with dip -- buddy was a hippie -- and a shot of tequila). First couple of games I noticed that he drove a diesel Mercedes tank. Spewed smoke. Game 9(?) I asked if he would like to join us for a beer or pita chip. He was gracious in saying no.

Game 20(?) Bob gave us tickets to the Forum club.

First season at Staples, Bob was in the Premium Club area. I approached him and told him that he and Mike Lange are still the best announcers in sports. Bar none. He was most gracious and gave props to Mike. I asked about the Mercedes. He smiled and said he finally had to move to a new car.

The great sports voices from the past could get you in the game without video of the game. Such a talent to paint a vivid picture of moving parts to a person that could not see visually.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:19 am

Thanks for sharing. Definitely one of the legends of the booth :thumb:

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:03 am

I really hope he gets the chance to do a real send off...even if it's not this season...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:11 pm

Bob is one of the greats. It's a shame that he has been paired with Jim Fox and his goofy delivery for so long.