Roundtable discussion for 5AF NHL Awards Ballots - RESULTS ARE IN...

mikey

Roundtable discussion for 5AF NHL Awards Ballots - RESULTS ARE IN...

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:28 pm

This is a carry over from our former residence (posting the link should be ok, right? Why wouldn't it be...? http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... =6&t=63770).

To Whom It May Concern:

As many of you may well know, I'm a big hockey fan in addition to being a Penguins fan...as a result, I'm fairly opinionated and when it comes to the NHL Awards (and votes) that are given to players that don't qualify, I get a little bit...uneasy...when players get all-star team votes for positions they don't play, or when players get Selke votes for the shear irony of it, or when a homer writer puts his two d-men first for the Norris and then just hands out a couple of ancillary votes based on the sorting of points or plus/minus or whatever...it's total bollocks...

So, we'll do our own...(again)

If you feel that you are well in-tune with the NHL outside of the Penguins and you follow the league closely, watch a lot of games and you feel you have a decent grasp what has happened this season, then please, share your thoughts...

Submit a ballot via PM to me (please do not post!!!) before 5 pm EDT on the first day of the Stanley Cup Playoffs for your vote to be counted. Incomplete ballots will not be counted.

What I need from you:

- Hart Memorial Trophy - MVP: Top 5
- James Norris Memorial Trophy - Best Defenseman: Top 5
- Georges Vezina Trophy - Best Goalkeeper: Top 3
- Calder Memorial Trophy - Best Rookie: Top 5
- Frank J Selke Trophy - Best Defensive Forward: Top 5
- Lady Byng Memorial Trophy - Most Gentlemanly Player: Top 5
- Jack Adams Trophy - Best Coach: Top 3
- General Manager of the Year - Best GM: Top 3

- All Star Teams
G: Top 3
D: Top 3
D: Top 3
LW: Top 3
C: Top 3
RW: Top 3

Please research the positions or post in here with any questions. Please, again, do not post your ballots in this thread to prevent bias.

Thanks!

------------------The above is the post from last year, for now, we can just discuss (without so much enumerated lists, please) where we feel things are and people who maybe aren't familiar with some players on Calgary or Vancouver or Dallas or whatever can make their inquiries now and just complete their knowledge loop----------
Last edited by mikey on Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Roundtable discussion for 5AF NHL Awards Ballots

Postby count2infinity » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:31 pm

awesome, thanks for doing this again this year, mikey.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:48 pm

Hart

So, we're talking about the Hart. I don't think it's any secret that Patrick Kane, Ryan Getzlaf and, to a lesser extent, John Tavares have all kind of fallen out of this race for various reasons...you have Carey Price and Alexander Ovechkin right now and then the next guys are a little bit up for debate...this is historically not a goalie award or even a d-man award...however, in years where the forwards generally don't do anything (2002) sometimes goalies can win these things...and I feel a goalie will this year...

The question for me really is the rest of the ballot...for me I'm probably going to have John Tavares on it...do you include a guy like Devan Dubnyk...? How about RIck Nash? Vladimir Tarasenko? Pekka Rinne? It's pretty wide open for me after two to be honest...

Vezina

My Vezina short list is probably: Price, Rinne, Luongo, Holtby then maybe a next tier of Schneider, Mason, Dubnyk, Halak, Fleury...? I might be missing someone...Price and Rinne have been the two best goalies this year in my opinion...given the messes that Schneider and Mason play behind, they deserve some praise, but it's only a 1-2-3 ballot, so they may be left in the cold on this one...

Norris

It was Mark Giordano's to lose...then he got hurt and lost it...Kristopher Letang emerged as a good candidate, he played well defensively too...better than guys like Karlsson or Burns or Barrie...Shea Weber deserves some love, but it's tough because he plays on a pairing with a guy who might as well in Roman Josi...that vote splitting could cause some issues...John Carlson from Washington has been their best on the blue this season and he plays it at both ends of the ice...real nice season out of him...Drew Doughty, P.K. Subban, the usual suspects, of course...it's a close race this year...if Letang is done for the regular season, that will really hurt his chances...he would have been able to make a lasting impression on national TV, alone in his time slot, against a rival to possibly clinch a playoff berth Sunday in Philadelphia...that could have put him over the top...Alex Pietrangelo was used with Jay Bouwmeester as a shutdown guy for much of the year...he was a little uneven early, but when Shatty went out, he stepped up and played well...maybe he's a darkhorse...lots of choices here...

Calder

You got two D and three forwards who really jump right out at you...the true rookie Aaron Ekblad, and then the Super Swede John Klingberg...then Johnny Gaudreau from Calgary, Filip Forsberg from Nashville and Mark Stone from Ottawa have all been dynamite...Stone is the wild card in this thing, he's been a big part of the team's success down the stretch, even though the fairly average Andrew Hammond (not eligible, age) is getting most of the credit...Stone is such a smart player, he's better defensively than probably three of the guys that I've mentioned even...

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:32 am

Just a reminder, here...as there are only three days left in the regular season...

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:37 am

I'll post here soon (so this is a placeholder). Wrist is hurting atm, making it hard to type longer posts.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:49 am

the Hart should be interesting. I don't know how anyone can think Ovechkin is a front runner (not that anyone has mentioned it here, I've heard it before though) for it considering how good Backstrom has been as well. Also, even though Sid might very well win the Art Ross, I think he's pretty clearly not in the running at all.

There's kind of a list of 10 or so guys that if they won it, I wouldn't really be surprised: Tavares, Price, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Nash, Voracek, Rinne, Sid (I guess), Benn. Pretty wide open like you said.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:49 am

derp double post
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

relantel

Postby relantel » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:20 am

I don't think I've followed the rest of the league well enough this season to submit a ballot but appreciate mikey doing this again. I look forward to the tallied results.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:42 am

Not going to be many tallied results without ballots...I don't have a sufficient sample size at this point to be honest...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:32 pm

Working on mine.

Will my ballot be valid if I put "Pavel Datsyuk x5" for the Selke? :pop:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:08 pm

Pavel Datsyuk is to the Selke as Mike Alstott is to the Pro Bowl

Craig

Postby Craig » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:55 am

Not going to be many tallied results without ballots...I don't have a sufficient sample size at this point to be honest...
I didnt even know voting was occurring. I thought this was just a discussion thread.

On second thought, im not going to vote. Paint all of thise historic trophies in black and white stripes, sink them all in a block of cement to the bottom of lake ontario. This hockey season was awful. Bring back 03-04. I need the excitement level of hockey to go back up.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:14 pm

Out of curiosity, mikey, any reason why you don't just create a poll topic for each award?

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:40 pm

A few reasons...uneven vote distribution, submissions would be random and unvetted...

relantel

Postby relantel » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:40 pm

On second thought, im not going to vote. Paint all of thise historic trophies in black and white stripes, sink them all in a block of cement to the bottom of lake ontario. This hockey season was awful. Bring back 03-04. I need the excitement level of hockey to go back up.
This is the truth. I think what makes it worse is the league has shown that they don't care that their product is lacking.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:41 pm

Agreed with rel & Id40, though I disagree with 03-04 & ask that they bring back the post-lockout years. I want to be able to find multiple gfycats of great goals & assists every day, not gfycats of injuries & dangerous hits. I want to see more Tarasenko dangles, not examples of missed calls. Hell, I even want to see Stevens-esque center-ice smashes.

Most of my voting discussion has been heavily hit by injuries. The Norris is especially there, as the top runners (IMO) are Giordano & Letang. Did any other defender carry their defense as much as these two? Weber has his cronies (Josi, Ellis, Jones, & now Franson). Doughty had a bad year. Pietrangelo, while a great defender, has a great team with him & Bouwmeester alongside. Subban has Therrien's system. Karlsson is a forward still (he's a middle-of-the-road defender in terms of actual defense). Maybe Suter? Yeah, I'll go with Suter.

For the Hart, I guess I'll give it to Tavares, but their team has been almost as bad as Pittsburgh coming down the stretch. Tavares doesn't have a Backstrom like Ovechkin does. His best defender is Boychuk. That team'd be toast without him. Ovechkin is great at scoring goals, but he's so one-dimensional that I can't vote for him for MVP. Crosby only had a couple MVP-type months. Price & Rinne, maybe, but Hart trophies don't go to goalies. Toews did a great job for Chicago, but I can't really give it to him either. I guess my 2nd place would be Getzlaf, though I actually prefer the Kesler/Silfverberg pairing to Getzlaf/Perry (I hate Perry).

Vezina, it's Price. Easy. Rinne is up there, but Price makes that team (again, that's why I'd consider him seriously for MVP).

Selke, the usual suspects. This is a reputation award more than any other up here. It'll be between Toews, Kesler, Datsyuk (with Datsyuk probably winning). God, I wish Crosby & Malkin's 2-way game made them nominees for this.

Calder's fun, though. Forsberg in NSH, Stone / Hoffman / Hammond in OTT, Gaudreau in CGY. I'd probably give it to Stone for his late push; Hammond is riding the incredibly streak of OTT, IMO. I don't watch enough Flames to give it to Gaudreau.

relantel

Postby relantel » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:47 pm

This seems like the year a goalie wins the Hart. I.e. Price.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:50 pm

Sent in my ballot. Again, thanks for doing this.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:54 pm

It means nothing without your participation, thank you.

relantel

Postby relantel » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:04 pm

It means nothing without your participation, thank you.
mikey, I'll make an effort at a full ballot before the end of tomorrow evening. Will take some research though for some of the downballot votes. Feel free to declare my ballot invalid though and know I won't be offended by it.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm

And please feel free to pose questions and gain perspective as well here, or privately via PM, I'd be happy to help in anyway that I can. Thank you for your anticipated participation.

The ballots are starting to pickup now. Hopefully we'll get several more. I do ask that complete ballots be submitted. I also would like to make clear again that Andrew Hammond is not eligible for the Calder (age). I've sent a few back for that. Not a big deal, just want to make sure that future voters are aware.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:21 pm

the Lady Byng and Selkie are the hardest because they don't have any sort of numbers you can look at to help make your determination other than maybe +/- and PIMS. I'll be honest, I voted for those one based solely on reputation of the players.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:36 pm

Lady Byng is really just that. If you notice a player to be particularly friendly on the rink, then go for it. I remember Mike Johnson of the Leafs and some of the other teams would routinely be chatting and laughing with players during scrums or during whistles or really whenever...but he never got any Byng votes because he had like 40 PIMs in stick fouls...so it's whatever...it's basically just the best, apparently-cleanest players you can think of...

The Selke is tough...there's no numbers for defensive play. That's why it's largely a reputation award. Patrice Bergeron is always a good choice, though he didn't make the playoffs. It's tough to vote for wingers in this because they generally don't have as tough a time defensively...but Max Pacioretty really upped his D game this year, more impressively is young Hossa, Ondrej Palat. Mark Stone was revelation this season. Sean Couturier got a 5th place vote from me last year, he's going to get my consideration this year as well...all the Flyers centers went back deep and did a good job this year, Giroux, and the like...they did muddy up the waters in the NZ but were let down by their defense (or Emery)...Plekanec, Toews, Kopitar, those are always safe bets...Joe Pavelski and Sean Monahan are also quite strong defensively...and there are certainly others...feel free to throw a homer vote for Brandon Sutter :)...

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:37 pm

Whoops, I completely forgot about the Byng.

I wish I could vote the Johnson/Kucherov/Palat line as one singular item.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:39 pm

I have a hard time handing the Selke to a winger for some reason.