Las Vegas NHL Team Official Official

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:10 am

Yeah, I had to go with the 1-2 punch for maximum effect.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:22 am

31 is such a stupid number of teams to have in the league. I hate that above all. I wonder if the AHL will now expand to 31 or if LV will be co-affiliates somewhere.
There was a ECHL team in Vegas (Wranglers), but they folded in 2015 because they couldn't make find a rink to play in.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:32 am

Despite what the NHL wants you to believe, no native Southerners care about hockey.

So...please.
sorry to blow that theory out of the water for you.........my father's side of the family goes back several generations in Georgia and I have been a hockey fan since the Atlanta Flames days. you know what they say though, there's always one. well, technically 2 because my older brother got me into hockey when we were kids. :pop:
An you keep losing your team. :pop:

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:58 pm

Black Knights?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:59 pm

Las Vegas thatsapparentlynotfiltered, lol.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:02 am

Despite what the NHL wants you to believe, no native Southerners care about hockey.

So...please.
sorry to blow that theory out of the water for you.........my father's side of the family goes back several generations in Georgia and I have been a hockey fan since the Atlanta Flames days. you know what they say though, there's always one. well, technically 2 because my older brother got me into hockey when we were kids. :pop:
An you keep losing your team. :pop:
and yet neither loss had much to do with the amount of fans in Atlanta......the Flames owner needed money and Calgary was willing to give it to him.
as for the Thrashers, the Blues GM recently chimed in:
http://thecomeback.com/puckdrunklove/20 ... ement.html
“I think what the league doesn’t want — and I say this as an employee of the league — is a situation like Atlanta where you give them an expansion franchise, they put a horse(bleep) product on the ice for a decade, then say it’s not a hockey market. How do you know it’s not a hockey market if you’ve never really had a competitive hockey team?”
as a native Atlantan I tried for years to accept the Thrashers as my #1 team. I have no connection to the city of Pittsburgh. the Pens became my team in the early 90's because of Jagr and Mario. even after the Thrashers came along they gave me little reason to cheer for them over the Pens and as we all remember, the Pens were pretty bad back in the early to mid 2000's.
in reality there are plenty of hockey fans in Atlanta, mostly from the Northeast and Canada and they never give up their Rangers, Bruins or Leafs jerseys.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:04 am

There could be 6 million true hockey fans in Las Vegas, and I still don't want the league expanding there. Even Quebec is a question mark for me.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:36 am

I'm not sure I really get expansion at all. hockey is the #4 of the big major professional sports and if you factor in NASCAR probably not even #4. if you take out the "professional" tag it probably lags well behind college football as well yet the NHL thinks they should have more teams than both the NBA and MLB.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:06 pm

MLS does pretty well at the gate, although that's probably a few teams skewing the average higher.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:33 am

But the wins and losses there will not count because what happens in Vegas...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:39 pm

Looks like George McPhee will be named GM tomorrow. RIP Las Vegas Wynns.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:27 am

Ovechkin to LV.

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:34 am

Ovechkin to LV.
Jagr...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:17 pm

Gord Miller

Hearing the team name will likely be the "Knights". Owner Bill Foley is the chairman of Black Knight Financial.
But will they say 'Ni!'?

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Ovechkin to LV.
Jagr...
Jagr would have to play another 10 seasons if that were the case.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Interesting scenario with the TV rights out in Las Vegas @Orlando Penguin ...

Foley says that the NHL was really generous with the "secondary" market that they can hit...all of Nevada, Utah, Idaho and Montana...northwest Arizona, parts of southern California north of LA (probably I-40 being the approx. cut-off I would guess)...

They don't have an RSN...so they're gonna have to latch on to something with another team because an expansion NHL team in LV isn't going to carry a network...

I think the Jazz (NBA) play on Root Sports. So maybe you go that direction and get a channel of Jazz, Knights (the LV hockey team, that is), Big 12 football spillover, that other random Western college conference that isn't the PAC-12, UNLV crap...that might do it...stuff an AHL team in Salt Lake City (they must have some sort of arena, they hosted a winter olympics) and you're good to go...

Or bring a MLB team into the mix...I think multiple teams have broadcast rights in Vegas. Go exclusive, pair with the hockey team, backfill with spillover college football of the highest degree you can get...? That might even command more interest than the all-night crap-a-rama I posed the first time...

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:08 pm

I'm a little surprised that they'd allow the Vegas secondary market to encroach on LA/Anaheim like that. I would have guessed that Kings/Quacks would have all of Cali locked up even as far as I-15 to the border. But other than that, the rest of that area makes sense. They could even get it further up into Oregon and Washington since I can't imagine there are too many people with a hankering for the Canucks up there.

As far as the RSN situation, getting in with the Jazz would likely be the best bet but I'd imagine that Foley's billions will find a way to start up his own network that is hockey, UNLV everything, Nevada Wolfpack stuff, and then try to cherry-pick other national stuff (keep in mind that there are a ton of transplants out there that would think nothing of wanting to see an East Coast team). I don't know too much about what else the Jazz's ROOT network carries outside of hoops season but they would likely run into conflicts between Jazz games and hockey games. I'd imagine in the first season, some local network will pick them up and then they'll build from there.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:01 am

Two minor points, I don't believe the Jazz play on LV TV by design, but i don't know why. CSN-NW plays like 25-30 Canucks games a year I think...though I don't know their reception. Someone here lives up that way, no?

I think the NHL eventually the NHL ends up in the PNW. Otherwise they might have divided up the market between Vancouver and San Jose already I would guess...

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:22 am

If Seattle can have that many soccer fans, my hope is that could support an NHL team.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:31 am

That's not exactly a fair comparison, though. Soccer fans outnumber fans of any three+ sports you can think of combined.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:31 am

I said hope.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:35 am

Your hope is misguided.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:41 am

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:46 am

That's not exactly a fair comparison, though. Soccer fans outnumber fans of any three+ sports you can think of combined.
In the PNW?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:48 am

In the PNW?
I was referring to the world as a whole, but I would still put money on soccer fans outnumbering hockey fans in that area 3:1.