Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:50 pm

"Watch me top this" -Don Cherry
Wow. They canned him.

Trip McNeely

Hockey Randomness

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:04 pm

I’m surprised...but I’m sure they are sick of his bullshit and honestly, the comment was pretty bad. Not even sure how he came to that point on live television

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:07 pm

Wow. They canned him.
I am genuinely shocked that they did, given all they’ve allowed over the years.

Troy Loney

Hockey Randomness

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:16 pm

What are poppies? What was cherry talking about?

Trip McNeely

Hockey Randomness

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:18 pm

What are poppies? What was cherry talking about?
Flowers

To add, English colonies and Britain itself wear poppies in remembrance of World War I because they were the only flowers to grow in the dead zone between the trenches

Sam's Drunk Dog

Hockey Randomness

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:27 pm

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Wow. They canned him.
I am genuinely shocked that they did, given all they’ve allowed over the years.

Honestly it's probably because everyone called out Sportsnet for their lame-ass half-apology they put out yesterday. They tried to sweep it under the rug like they have every other time, but people weren't going to let them do it this time.

Tough to stand behind "Hockey is for Everyone" when one of your biggest voices is saying certain people aren't real Canadians.

shafnutz05

Hockey Randomness

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:20 pm

If Don Cherry would have just made a statement to all Canadians that they should go out and buy a poppy in remembrance of Canada's war dead, no one would have batted an eye. But the second he called out immigrants in particular, he was a dead man.

HT to Trip for explaining the poppy thing. They came to basically represent the sacrifices of GB and her colonies in World War I.

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:28 pm

If Don Cherry would have just made a statement to all Canadians that they should go out and buy a poppy in remembrance of Canada's war dead, no one would have batted an eye. But the second he called out immigrants in particular, he was a dead man.

uh... yes?

Sam's Drunk Dog

Hockey Randomness

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Of all the asine things Cherry has said, I expected this to be much worse than it was.

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:46 pm

I'd say the firing is a lifetime achievement award. It was about **** time.

faftorial

Hockey Randomness

Postby faftorial » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:03 pm

The Toronto Sun's readers are 90%+ pro Don Cherry and his sentiments.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/ ... py-comment

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Of all the asine things Cherry has said, I expected this to be much worse than it was.

It's pretty bad. Especially when you consider that the network that employed him has their own Punjabi broadcast to get a portion of the crowd Cherry is referring to into hockey.

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:58 pm

shafnutz05

Hockey Randomness

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:04 pm

uh... yes?
I guess that was the epitome of stating the obvious :P

Trip McNeely

Hockey Randomness

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:22 pm

uh... yes?
I guess that was the epitome of stating the obvious :P
I agree it’s more of a lifetime achievement firing. But good riddance. Dude sucks

RonnieFranchise

Hockey Randomness

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:52 pm

FANS of diverse backgrounds and any PLAYERS who arent good (english speaking) Canadian boys?

Jim

Hockey Randomness

Postby Jim » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:33 am

Maybe i missed his actual comments. The clip that I saw her ran over "you people" enjoying the something and honey of the Canadian way of life... spend $2 for a poppy... Something of that nature. If that is what every is up in arms about give me the half button so that I can push it right now. Right Now. If it was something else then I haven't seen it.

And yes, I feel that Cherry is an ignorant, xenophobic, persecution complex, bigot; and I am glad that he is off of the air. However, if that is the comment that people are so butt-hurt about, then "those people" are the problem.

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:01 am

It’s a lifetime achievement award firing.

You can’t have him say “you people” then cut to commercial and Immediately run a “hockey is for everyone” ad.

Jim

Hockey Randomness

Postby Jim » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:13 am

You can’t have him say “you people” then cut to commercial and Immediately run a “hockey is for everyone” ad.

Sure you can. He wasn't talking about hockey.

If he said the "you people" then they cut to a commercial running a "Poppy choice is for everyone" spot then that would be something.

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:14 am

It wasn't just that he said "you people", he also made a point to mention "you people that come here and want to live our way of life" or something close to that.

It wasn't thinly veiled at all. It was 100% directed at immigrants.
You people love — you, that come here, whatever it is — you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey,” Cherry said. “At least you could pay a couple of bucks for poppies or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life, that you enjoy in Canada.

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:24 am

I never understood his appeal in general, outside of 'look at what this clown said today' sort of thing.

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:52 am

Sure you can. He wasn't talking about hockey.

If he said the "you people" then they cut to a commercial running a "Poppy choice is for everyone" spot then that would be something.
It’s in Canada. Everything is talking about hockey

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:15 am

Surprised this is the one that did it...maybe because it wasn't as "playful" as his other xeno-comments ("Chicken Swede", etc.) ...but part of it is just that it's a different time now. There's just less leeway and appetite for that.

I have watched Coach's Corner pretty religiously for a long while now...it was must watch television for me...when Don started talking, we listened...it was the only intermission that was like that...that doesn't mean we agreed 100% or anything (hockey, or otherwise) but we stopped and listened.

He's one of the most famous and influential Canadians in history...and he betrayed that podium for the last time it would seem...

Brian Burke to step in? I feel like that's been the plan brewing...

Jim

Hockey Randomness

Postby Jim » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:06 am

It wasn't just that he said "you people", he also made a point to mention "you people that come here and want to live our way of life" or something close to that.

It wasn't thinly veiled at all. It was 100% directed at immigrants.
You people love — you, that come here, whatever it is — you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey,” Cherry said. “At least you could pay a couple of bucks for poppies or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life, that you enjoy in Canada.

Who cares? This is nothing compared to things that he has said in the past. This is nothing, period. He was making a valid point (even if I don't agree with it) and frankly nothing he said, or even potentially implied, is bad or wrong (even if I do not agree with it).