meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:59 am

Oh ok

Fire0nIce228

Hockey Randomness

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:56 am

Id like to see ESPN+ app take some cues from Sunday Ticket and integrate some of the options for fantasy hockey players to pick their teams and get notices on the screen of goals points hits whatever. The multicast thing seems cool in that regard too for those "super saturday" hockey days to just keep around and look at multiple scores at once and stuff. Maybe they could do a PP or OT/Shootout simulcast situation too similar to Red Zone.. would make that interesting IMO for fantasy hockey and such..

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:44 pm

yeesh
Expansion is such a great idea. Our cup runneth over with viable franchises.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:46 pm

Explains Wilbon, then.

(He has a TV room with 4-6 games going at once but also doesn't seem to have an informed opinion on anything.)
As someone who just got a 77 inch TV and thrives on being uninformed, this is all very appealing to me.

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:48 pm

I bet it has more to do with a virus than with expansion. Per meow

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:52 pm

Per the last decade, Buffalo shouldn’t have a franchise.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:53 pm

Or the whole Eichel situation.

faftorial

Hockey Randomness

Postby faftorial » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:00 pm

I bet it has more to do with a virus than with expansion. Per meow
Per anybody paying attention.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:03 pm

If Buffalo got McDavid, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin at some point, then they start to win and draw in some free agents. But they got a guy who isn’t interested in leadership, so they’re in the Taylor Hall zone that EDM was in.

Not that we can cast aspersions. We would be exactly the same. Spot. So it’s not like Buffalo is a special kind of poison. The issue is that there are quite a few teams who need generational talents injected into their infrastructure to remain viable franchises.

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:24 pm

I don’t like that post

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:23 pm

Conflating Buffalo (the best hockey market in America per pound) attendance with expansion is a tough look...

DigitalGypsy66

Hockey Randomness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:44 pm

Good point, miguelito. Buffalo always has tremendous hockey TV ratings. It's usually Buffalo/Pittsburgh/Detroit/Boston or some version of that.

Now Florida, on the other hand, has a real issue with attendance. They finally have a good team and can't even remotely sell out their home opener against a decent marquee opponent.

crusherstasiak

Hockey Randomness

Postby crusherstasiak » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:59 pm

more confirmation for me that spittin chiclets are morons

crusherstasiak

Hockey Randomness

Postby crusherstasiak » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:59 pm

lets drink beer and kick some knight ass baby
woooooooooooooooooo

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:00 pm

Conflating Buffalo (the best hockey market in America per pound) attendance with expansion is a tough look...
I’m…not doing that?

I’m saying expansion is an obstacle for teams like Buffalo to improve, and if the house isn’t in order as is, don’t add a new room out back. Too many pointless teams in the league already. Buffalo’s attendance from last night looks like an anomaly, since enough upstate weirdos seem to pay money to watch them year, after year (which I just learned). So was that a good way to spring into this point? Looks like it was not. But the point stands.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:03 pm

Third man in penalty?

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:04 pm

Having a poorly run organization because of internal ineptitude shouldn't bar Vegas - the biggest North American expansion success story in history - from having a team...if that's what you're...saying...? I don't know...either way, if we're going to assign every malady to expansion...we're in for a long year and a major, major downturn in brain wrinkles...

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:15 pm

We all understand the concept of dilution. If you poor a shot of whiskey in your coke, it’s gonna lose some pop - even if it’s unstirred and one of your sips is a little stronger than another.

Vegas doing well doesn’t solve for the lack of overall talent. And whoopedeeedoo we have more talent than we’re used to. But we still don’t have 30 1Cs or 30 1Ds, so there’s still an obvious deficit.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:45 pm

Meh, there wasn't 21 1C's in 1989 either...you don't have to be filled to the brim to make it work...you need to get close, sure...but there's never been more than 15 QBs in the NFL at any one time...there's never been 30 interesting baseball players in the league at any one time...the NBA can only field six legitimate teams...

The NHL was late to the party by expanding as late as 1967 (their last move prior to that was contraction), but otherwise, you never really get to that level and then expand. You expand the footprint and hope that you can attract more talent into the system by adding more population centers (Auston Matthews, Arizona kid, doesn't play hockey without the Coyotes; Seth Jones, Colorado kid, doesn't play hockey without the Avs, etc.) and if you get a couple of elite talents out of there (and it takes time - Pittsburgh and St. Louis are just starting to get wheels up, for instance) then you win...the game grows in NHL markets...the game doesn't grow in New Orleans for a reason. The game doesn't grow in Indianapolis for a reason (shout out to Jack Johnson).

You add extensions to your house or move to a new one when you need another bedroom for a new kid...you don't wait until the new kid is 14 unless you're pokemon-card-burning idiot...

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:58 pm

Source of the post s (Auston Matthews, Arizona kid, doesn't play hockey without the Coyotes; Seth Jones, Colorado kid, doesn't play hockey without the Avs, etc.)
But those are due to relocation!!

:scared: :scared: :scared:

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:03 pm

There aren’t 21 1C’s so…let’s add more teams because why not?

Unconvincing. Maybe there’s some critical mass of franchises necessary for a major sports league and you have to deal with a deficit at QB and 1C. But that doesn’t mean you just keep going because growth.

I’m ok if there’s no Auston Matthews as a tradeoff. I don’t think “growth” and its residual effects make the average fan more entertained. We’d still have Canada, Russia and Scandinavia to pull talent from. It’s not an actual problem if Americans are under represented and guys like Matthews go play baseball instead.

And Matthews is an anomaly you shouldn’t plan around. Maybe you’re right that the 21 grows to 35 if we have enough of a stratified US presence. Maybe not.

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:37 pm

????????????????????????????????????

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:39 pm

Meh, maybe an anomaly or maybe you're just not seeing the future because you're hellbent on your argument because you have announced your anti-hockey stance...

Unscientifically, because really you want to look at participation rates, youth teams, rinks, pro players, drafted players, etc. But let's just take the most unlikely scenario possible, making the NHL...

NHL was established in 1917...
Players from Arizona were in the NHL before the Coyotes: one in 80 years.
Seven have been drafted into and played in the NHL since 2011. Including high-end players: Tkachuks, Couturier, Matthews.

Players from Colorado before the Avalanche: two.
12 have been drafted since the Avs came in, including Slavin and Seth Jones (unless you want to count his pure birth state, then give him to Texas, still works for me).

Florida before Panthers/Lightning: two.
Since...12. Including the Hughes brothers, Chychrun, Gostisbehere...I see Seamus Casey as a top 10 draft pick in 2022.

It's well documented what I have said about the Miracle on Ice and its effects on Americans in the NHL and in the NHL draft in the early 80's...it's happening and happened again with Germany...

The Knights obviously don't just affect Nevada, they have a footprint in Arizona too...look at the registration numbers...

2014 AZ 4800
2014 NV 1200

2019 AZ 9000
2019 NV 2600

Maybe they just got lucky that the numbers doubled in a five year (!) window around an NHL franchise coming to town...or maybe there are markets that need a chance...you can say the Coyotes aren't great, I'll buy that, you can say Miami was a stretch, I'll buy that...I'm not saying it's perfect, but a good business takes risks to expand and if it's done responsibly it pays major dividends...

shafnutz05

Hockey Randomness

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:58 pm

:thumb:

crusherstasiak

Hockey Randomness

Postby crusherstasiak » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:21 am

waht is up with this 'anti-hockey' bulshit? lol