Ad@m

Hockey Randomness

Postby Ad@m » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:34 am

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:38 am

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/22/sport/kr ... index.html

only 30 games for this scum, what a joke

More BS, this time in the E (watch 15 in white)

crusherstasiak

Hockey Randomness

Postby crusherstasiak » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:16 am

comments suggesting they don't see anything, that 15 'barely' did anything at all, it's just another snowflake over-reaction? some of those are born of ignorance but I'm guessing the majority understand the gesture as a purposefully subtle/barely noticeable method way of denigrating a person of color. like that sharks prospect this **** should be kicked out

King Colby

Hockey Randomness

Postby King Colby » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:42 am

Man I'd love a panthers-yotes hookup on Chychrun.

Panthers could do Lundell/Samoskevich/1st but they should ask for a forward to come back to fill lundell's spot. Crouse? They'd have to probably add another pick. Phil? Maybe

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:45 pm

He gone.

dodint

Hockey Randomness

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:45 pm

Andy Kaufmann lives.

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:15 am

comments suggesting they don't see anything, that 15 'barely' did anything at all, it's just another snowflake over-reaction? some of those are born of ignorance but I'm guessing the majority understand the gesture as a purposefully subtle/barely noticeable method way of denigrating a person of color. like that sharks prospect this **** should be kicked out
Some **** dipshit said #15 was “flexing”. I hate people. Refs should have left them go.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:46 am

He says he was doing the “tough guy” pose where you puff up your chest and hold your arms out wide. He also provides a video where he did it to another player as proof that it wasn’t based on race.

Ad@m

Hockey Randomness

Postby Ad@m » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:53 am

:thumb:

King Colby

Hockey Randomness

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:27 pm

He says he was doing the “tough guy” pose where you puff up your chest and hold your arms out wide. He also provides a video where he did it to another player as proof that it wasn’t based on race.
Jesus.

Wouldn't the racists then be the ones who decided his body builder pose was emulating an ape to a black person?

King Colby

Hockey Randomness

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:28 pm

I mean honestly if what he says is true, what is there for him to learn from the incident? To walk on eggshells around black people just in case he does something that could potentially be perceived as racist?

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:31 pm

No Subban was the one who interpreted it as racist. And in his defense, he has likely dealt with racist **** all his life so maybe he has his guard up a bit. A misunderstanding is a good outcome though obviously the hammer came down hard and fast, which isn’t great. Part of me thinks this should’ve been handled internally with an investigation into the event and then action taken after but also I understand the need to spotlight racists because historically action isn’t taken unless there’s a public outcry.
Last edited by nocera on Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Colby

Hockey Randomness

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:39 pm

Yeah I get that. It's a **** situation all around.

Subban can assume racial intent because I'm sure it's not the first time he's dealt with that as a black player. That's OK. I get that.

But the kid explained it in a seemingly believable way - if there wasn't that intent did he really do anything wrong then? I mean what is there for him to learn? You can't stop and think before every gesture you ever make in your life and contemplate whether it could be perceived as racist... there used to be a time when you could say that it was a misunderstanding and everything would be fine.

Instead, this whole thing got co-opted by a bunch of people as a way to show off how much they care about black people.

King Colby

Hockey Randomness

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:41 pm

Myself included. I thought he was emulating a gorilla

King Colby

Hockey Randomness

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:53 pm

No Subban was the one who interpreted it as racist. And in his defense, he has likely dealt with racist **** all his life so maybe he has his guard up a bit. A misunderstanding is a good outcome though obviously the hammer came down hard and fast, which isn’t great. Part of me thinks this should’ve been handled internally with an investigation into the event and then action taken after but also I understand the need to spotlight racists because historically action isn’t taken unless there’s a public outcry.
I thought the Jacksonville team said they were going to investigate, people flipped ****, then they changed their mind and said OK he's cut (which people criticized them for because they "only did it because of the backlash")

Investigations are over. We both know that. The court of Twitter is the judge, jury, and executioner now.

I'd like to see Subban say something. I don't blame him for thinking it was racist but he should say he misinterpreted, and still use it as an anti racism platform (ie black players shouldn't have to feel that way about this stuff)

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:15 pm

Yeah I think that’s how it went down. I meant part me thinks Subban should’ve gone through an internal reporting process rather than taking to twitter. I didn’t think there was any public response until Subban’s tweet.

But I also completely support Subban spotlighting something he perceived as racist because like I said internal reporting historically tends to cover up this ****. I wouldn’t be surprised if he did report somebody for a racist incident at some point in his career and it got swept under the rug.

It’s a tricky situation. Hopefully those two are able to talk and sort it out.

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:19 pm

I think part of the issue here is we can't hear what was said in that moment. Panetta can say that, and technically no one sitting behind their computer can say he's wrong. He was still assessed a racist gesture misconduct by the referees who were there, and no one on his team really jumped in to protect him, judging by the video. If it was truly just the gesture as he claims, and nothing else (words, sounds, etc), then don't you think the whole thing plays out different?

Also, it's odd that both of you mention the Twitter mob jumping to conclusions after the video came out, but isn't it also jumping to conclusions to immediately believe the other guy in the situation, who is trying to save face?

Both things can be correct here - he might have been making the "tough guy" stance, but he did it to a black player literally one night after an AHL player was suspended 30 games for making similar gestures to another black player.

I think he should face some consequences, as things can be misinterpreted, especially when dealing with race, and he should've known better than to make that specific gesture at a black player.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:27 pm

I agree with that as well. Also I didn’t mention the twitter mob or even if I believe Panetta. I don’t know the truth because I wasn’t on the ice.

meecrofilm

Hockey Randomness

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:19 pm

I thought the Jacksonville team said they were going to investigate, people flipped ****, then they changed their mind and said OK he's cut (which people criticized them for because they "only did it because of the backlash")

Investigations are over. We both know that. The court of Twitter is the judge, jury, and executioner now
A more general thought unrelated to this specific subject matter: I think people/companies put way more stock into twitter outrage than they should, as far as acting on it is concerned. I still believe twitter is the vocal minority. There's plenty of other **** that will constantly pop up for people to focus their ire towards. For instance, does anyone even remember the production company ScarJo was going to work with for that Rub 'n Tug movie that got squashed? And she seems to be doing plenty fine even after all the Ghost in the Shell stuff.

The Court of Twitter has as much power as is given to it, IMO.

King Colby

Hockey Randomness

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:20 pm

The refs had no choice. You know that.

Imagine if a racial incident happened in front of them and they didn't throw the guy out. It'd be they who were victimized by the Twitter mob

King Colby

Hockey Randomness

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:25 pm

I generally tend to believe that people are well intentioned. That kid deserves the benefit of the doubt... I mean use some common sense here. How many people are that evil that they can fabricate a story like that and post it publicly (and directly to the accuser) to save a dead end hockey career.

If you can't believe this kid, you've got major outlook problems imo

crusherstasiak

Hockey Randomness

Postby crusherstasiak » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:31 pm

^ you can't be more reactionary left than me on issues like this and yeah, cut that kid a break here
do yourself a favor and believe in his sincerity

that said, that gesture is used to convey exactly what jordan subban et al suggested

dodint

Hockey Randomness

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:37 pm

I generally tend to believe that people are well intentioned.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks.