Hockey Randomness

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:18 am

Oh and this:

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:19 am

I'm waiting (because I have to), but there's a lot of goalies out there and there is no way he is #1 (or top 3) on my list right now, even on a one year...

I think he has a real shot of going back to Frolunda...

@Lelldorin

DigitalGypsy66

Hockey Randomness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:39 am

I'm known around campus for being "the hockey fan," yes, only one on our campus (which isn't really true) but I had someone come up to me yesterday and tell me he didn't even know there were hockey teams in Dallas and Tampa. Now, I know that's probably not normal, but for the average local who watches Sportscenter for NFL and CFB highlights, this might be accurate.

I just don't think either team moves the needle for the casual fan.

I would posit that maybe having other teams other than the Wings, Penguins, Rangers, Flyers, and Bruins on national broadcasts might grow the game a little beyond these traditional markets and teams. In a normal year, of course (and I don't have cable, so I don't know which teams get on these national
broadcasts, but it used to be these teams).

Lelldorin

Hockey Randomness

Postby Lelldorin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:49 pm

I'm waiting (because I have to), but there's a lot of goalies out there and there is no way he is #1 (or top 3) on my list right now, even on a one year...

I think he has a real shot of going back to Frolunda...

@Lelldorin
I believe Frölunda would like him, but his brother Joel (captain of Frölunda) said no when interviewed by Hockeynews.

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/n ... k-rangers/
– Nej. Den dörren är stängd. Det kan jag säga. Det blir det inte. Det är mycket som spelar in i ett sånt beslut. Men jag får den frågan ständigt och bara för att ta död på spekulationer och annat. Det blir det inte, sa Joel Lundqvist till Hockeynews.

"No. That door is closed. I can say as much. It will not be so. There is a lot to consider in such a decision. But I get that question all the time and just to kill all speculations etc. It will not be so.

My personal opinion/guess is that he is a bit too much of a diva and is too accustomed to the life on Manhattan to leave the US. There was for example rumors that he dated Sweden's younger princess ten years ago.

I might be wrong, but I think his self image is a bit too large to be a backup goalie officially.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:40 pm

Hmm interesting...thanks for dropping the knowledge...

I kinda figured with the way things are over here and games not likely to happen til January, all the escrow, and all that...that maybe he'd just get back to his home team with his brother and play it out comfortably back there...

Could you see him playing anywhere else in Sweden perhaps...? Would he get his rocks off he returned an iconic program like MODO to the SHL, for instance...?

I mean, he'll have NHL callers...but he also has a lot of miles on him, and no American city can replicate what NYC is like...he can go rot away in Chicago probably, they don't have a single NHL goalie on the roster, and even if they have Crawford around that's not much of anything...I guess he could do that maybe...

Lelldorin

Hockey Randomness

Postby Lelldorin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:08 pm

As a MODO fan, I would like him there both for drawing out the crowd and for still being competent.

I might be biased, but it seems like most Swedish players, especially stars that are welcome everywhere, want to play for one of the clubs that they played for before. The lockout was special, but then most NHL players played for their clubs (e.g. Forsberg and Näslund in MODO. Lundqvist had not played for Rangers by then, but played for Frölunda.

That said, I would guess it would be Frölunda if he played in Sweden. I have a hard time seeing him in MODO since he has no connection there that I know about.

My guess (and this is pure speculation) is Retire and live in NY > Become 1st goalie in an NHL team > Backup with the hope of stealing the starting job for a contending NHL team > Shared 1/2 in an NHL team > Backup in a major metropolis such as LA/NY > Frölunda

Jim

Hockey Randomness

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:37 pm

Sadly, Lundqvist’s career in New York will be most remembered by his "sad Lundqvist" pictures.

This was awesome when it happened.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:41 pm

Hmph, gotcha...it'll be interesting to track certainly...according to EP, he did play for Rogle has like a 15 year old...I was gonna say they're fine with Johan Gustafsson back in Sweden (coincidentally, from Frolunda to Rogle) but it appears he has fallen off (statistically) since his tour of North America and then they have the unproven Rifalik...real young team that might benefit from him being around, I'm not sure...but based on your order of operations, that sounds like it would be - at best - 8th in line for him...

Lelldorin

Hockey Randomness

Postby Lelldorin » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:49 am

Yeah, I just have a hard time seeing him play for any other Swedish club than Frölunda and if his brother says that it is not happening... I could see him playing for Rögle if they would be on the brink of leaving the SHL, to try to save them, but they should be able to hang on anyway.

If he wants to chase more money, which seems unlikely, I think NHL is the only way for him. They should pay more than the richest SHL clubs.

So I just don't see a very good match if I should trust his brother's official statement. The challenge/redemption of assuming a starting position or pursuing a Cup for a contender seems like the most probable way except retirement. I am not sure that he feels like he is done with his career since he seems to be a fierce competitor, so perhaps the buyout can make him play again to redeem himself.

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:44 pm

https://www.tsn.ca/trade-bait-frozen-ca ... -1.1532623

“The number of franchise-changing players available or being talked about each day is astonishing,” the GM said. “It’s just that no one has any room for them.”

Lemon Berry Lobster

Hockey Randomness

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:12 pm

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:23 pm

I will never like Vegas gold, on any team.

dodint

Hockey Randomness

Postby dodint » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:23 pm

Yeah, it's tacky. So in a way it fits Vegas.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:33 pm

Man I hate videos for jersey unveils.

It's fine, I guess. The white on the arm feels very out of place. Overall this just feels lazy.

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:34 pm

It looks like the carpet in the back of a 70s windowless van, and this page is now hideous thanks to you.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Should've made the whole jersey the shiny "Vegas" gold. Go all in on tackiness.

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:39 pm

Even bumping down the saturation a little makes it more palatable.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:45 pm

This post might be a more accurate representation of the color. You can see the slight sparkles in it too. It's still ugly and the white still looks dumb.

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:45 pm

It looks like the carpet in the back of a 70s windowless van.
:thumb:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Hockey Randomness

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:45 pm

willeyeam

Hockey Randomness

Postby willeyeam » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:32 pm

They're very Vegas. It works

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:39 am

Ya boy meow is a big Dubnyk fan. Yuge

Lemon Berry Lobster

Hockey Randomness

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:54 am

Lehner signs the 5 year 25 million dollar deal that was rumored.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:34 am

Ya boy meow is a big Lehner fan. Yuge

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:36 am

Please name a few goalies you don't like, starting with Greiss.