Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Mon May 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Bwhahahaha

Top shielf gif

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Tue May 22, 2018 7:52 pm

Wow...I guess the Sharks were somehow impressed with Evander Kane...

They go 7 yrs, $49 million to keep him...that's a spicy meatball...

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 22, 2018 8:04 pm

:shock:

Jim

Hockey Randomness

Postby Jim » Tue May 22, 2018 8:18 pm

That sucks on my Pens going after JVR plan.

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue May 22, 2018 8:28 pm

Yet Kessel is the one with the hefty contract.

**** YOU MACKEY

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:46 pm

Dare I say that Hornqvist contract looks a lot better now in comparison

Troy Loney

Hockey Randomness

Postby Troy Loney » Wed May 23, 2018 11:19 am

Is it the case where putting him on an competent team really helped?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Wed May 23, 2018 11:25 am

That's a spicy meatball to pay for a notorious jackass after he was competent during a honeymoon period.

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 23, 2018 11:29 am

Columbus Blue Jackets prospect and former Miami (Ohio) hockey player Carson Meyer might look really tired in the above image from a June 2017 interview, but any visible gauntness might be from the fact that he had a goddamn tapeworm in his body for, according to doctors, a full year.

Meyer’s 2017-18 season with the RedHawks was totally derailed because of the parasite, as The Athletic’s Aaron Portzline reported in lovely detail. The prospect had no appetite, lost weight, and was falling asleep during drills. Test results couldn’t pinpoint it to mononucleosis or something similar. Meyer finally discovered what was draining his energy when he sat on the toilet in February:

“I was going to the bathroom, just like normal,” Meyer said. “And it came out.”

It was a 25-inch tapeworm — the head, the neck and all of the segments, about 50 of them. It was orange. Meyer almost fainted.

“I Face-timed my mom and was like, ‘What the hell is this thing?’ ” Meyer said. “I was freaking out. Absolutely freaking out.”

Holly Meyer said she’s never been so horrified, or relieved.

“I was trying to be calm,” she said. “He showed me everything and I remember saying, you have to get that to the trainer and figure out what it is so they can get you fixed.

“And I did say at that moment, ‘This is why everything has been the way it’s been, Carson. This was it.’ It was scary, but it was a relief.”
https://deadspin.com/blue-jackets-prosp ... 1826235079

Lemon Berry Lobster

Hockey Randomness

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed May 23, 2018 11:41 am

Cool now I lost my appetite.

Silentom

Hockey Randomness

Postby Silentom » Wed May 23, 2018 11:43 am

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed May 23, 2018 11:47 am

Re: Kane. I am going to lazily c&p from an exchange I had last night, if I may...

This was to prevent him from going to market. ...but I don't know how many 50 point seasons he has. These streak and score guys just don't have a lot of shelf life...they may perk up with a new team in a new space before anyone knows what he's about but once they adapt, he can't. Chris Stewart and Devin Setoguchi and Mason Raymond...hell, even Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi were like this...early success but fleeting...

I'll give this 18 months before it's on the list of the worst contracts in the league. I wonder if they get a sense that John Tavares isn't going to leave the Island. My impression is that he's going to do exactly what Stamkos did...so I wonder if SJ just went "**** it" this is good enough...he's fast and they aren't, I'll give them that...

Yeah, I mean, could you argue he was on bad teams and therefore couldn't do much...ok fine, but in Winnipeg as they were revving up, he fell down the lineup and out of the way and then was dealt...Winnipeg becomes a rocket right after.

Then at the trade deadline he commands a 2 that I think becomes a 1 now straight across I think. That tells me either Botterill botched it or there wasn't much of a bidding war...this is a strange one. And I bet in year one in works like gangbusters...I just wonder what they do for the other six...

(...then progressed on to Thornton for a moment)

Re: JT West. No he doesn't plan to retire. He wants to return to San Jose. He's comfortable there and they are comfortable with him. He hurt his other knee, so he is going to be even slower. But he knows that medical staff and they know him. That's one of those things that easily gets lost. They know each other. Joe would take less to stay there. And now, he doesn't have a choice. He's gonna have to be Evander Kane's chaffeur just to get paid because all their money went to him...

(Just posting for conversation purposes if applicable)

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 23, 2018 12:45 pm

I looked up the type of parasite he had and the first result was one living inside a lady during her colonoscopy. I don't want to be alive anymore.

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 23, 2018 12:49 pm

so he is going to be even slower
I call bullshit. It's completely impossible for him to get slower. His top speed was already Jason Allison Skating Backwards.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Hockey Randomness

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed May 23, 2018 12:56 pm

I looked up the type of parasite he had and the first result was one living inside a lady during her colonoscopy. I don't want to be alive anymore.

shafnutz05

Hockey Randomness

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:17 pm

Re: Kane, I was thinking more along the lines in my head of 4 or 5 years at $5-$6 million. With the way he plays, he is really prone to injuries/wear and tear. That's a gross overpayment IMO.

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Re: Kane, I was thinking more along the lines in my head of 4 or 5 years at $5-$6 million. With the way he plays, he is really prone to injuries/wear and tear. That's a gross overpayment IMO.
Only full season he's played in his career was the 48 game lockout season. He has suspensions and whatnot, but overall he's only played in 81% of regular season games in his career. That's Letang territory.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed May 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Well, that just gave LGP the next big trade idea thread... ^

shafnutz05

Hockey Randomness

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:53 am

TIL that Neil Young's father, Scott Young, was a host on HNIC, until he ran afoul of Maple Leafs co-owner John Bassett.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 27, 2018 11:02 pm

You can’t put yourself offsides.

Who would object to that rule change?

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Mon May 28, 2018 12:17 am

As long as you have possession of the puck, that's already a rule.

If you don't have control of the puck and you go over the line before the puck, I'm not sure what advantage is being gained and why...

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 28, 2018 4:40 pm

As long as you have possession of the puck, that's already a rule.

If you don't have control of the puck and you go over the line before the puck, I'm not sure what advantage is being gained and why...
Yes, I know the rule.

This isn’t solving an actual problem. Very very minor. But it cuts down on a handful of whistles and leads to a handful of extra scoring chances. With no significant negative impact. It’s something too small to actually have traction. But it’s also something that, I believe, should be changed.

But first thing’s first...why the f aren’t they treating the puck over the glass the same as icing - instead of a penalty? This is going to happen at some point, because someone’s gonna flip the puck over the glass in OT in a cup deciding game and the other guys are going to score on the PP. instead of waiting for that, just nip this in the bud, please.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Mon May 28, 2018 5:25 pm

I'd need to see some video on it to really back it...I feel like it adds gray to an otherwise pretty black and white rule. But I'd be willing to entertain it...

Agree with puck over the glass...never cared for that as an automatic. I think it has been automatic for goalies for a long time and I believe it was always a judgment foul (except for in game 7 of 2001 Eastern Conference Semifinals) that could still result in a penalty...I don't need this to be automatic.

It's not really like me to be non-traditionalist, but if I was king for a day (mark your calendars, that is coming up soon) -- if you score on a delayed penalty, it does not wipe out the penalty. Why in blue blazes would that cancel a penalty...? It's not like the fouling team wasn't allowed to touch the puck, they just didn't yet...

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 28, 2018 5:36 pm

It actually removes the gray. Possession is gray. This is black and white...you cannot be offsides if you are the last person to touch the puck before it enters the zone AND you are the only person on your team in the zone when the puck enters.

It’s now entering “too mundane to deserve this much attention” territory, however.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Mon May 28, 2018 5:49 pm

Meh, if there's one person that would entertained by this type of discussion, it's probably me...

I was really just trying to get out how much ground this covers...

Ok, I see what you're going for now a little clearer...for clarity, last person to touch the puck on the attacking team or last person in general? Meaning, can you clip a skate or a stick of an opponent put yourself offside (traditional sense) and still be onside in your view of it...?