Hockey Randomness

FistOfCaufield

Hockey Randomness

Postby FistOfCaufield » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:13 pm

Did I miss when Vegas signed Reaves to a 2yr $2.775M/per deal this summer? $5.55M over 2 years...

Yeah, but he has no value in the current NHL...
I was happy we have 44 last night.
#43 was not... I'm sure he remembers.

Guds is a strong mother ****... as he shows here and as he showed last night.

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Outside of his own goal early on, I’ve been pleased with Gudbranson. He has not been the letdown that the idiots on Reddit were screaming about.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:23 pm

Voracek suspension upheld. The defense of, “he was going to check me so I had to hit him in the face” didn’t hold water, afterall

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:25 pm

Outside of his own goal early on, I’ve been pleased with Gudbranson. He has not been the letdown that the idiots on Reddit were screaming about.
And that own goal was hardly his fault - to the point that it shouldn’t even be called an own goal

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:39 am

Yeah. Suck it, @mikey.

Jim

Hockey Randomness

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:47 am

Apparently Reddit thought Morgan Rielly yelled a homophobic slur at the ref during last night's game. The internet was up in arms and calling for suspensions, fines, etc. Upon further examination, and an official examination from the league, it was determined that no slur was said. Somebody on the ice actually said "Rag it! Rag it!" as in, hang on to the puck for bit... Once again, the internet was wrong.

Official post from the NHL:
https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1105509180822220800

So did you actually listen to the original audio or...?

Because it sounded like someone called someone else a f**king f***ot live.
Not only that, but you can see Rielly's mouth move and he's looking directly at the official as it's said.

I doubt he was telling the official to Rag it. Watch it at full screen... watch Rielly during the play. He obviously thought there should have been a whistle or something.. and as he's skating in his own end he looks at the official, his mouth moves, and the words are heard so I think it's pretty clear that it's Rielly's voice. The lighting player is going to touch the puck next, so I'm not buying the Rag it explanation.

A. It's quite obviously an "r" being said not "f"
B. Things of this nature are not "phobic" (potentially belongs in the pet peeve thread)

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:53 am

If you're getting at phobia only relating to the fear of something you may want to consult your dictionary, Jim.

Jim

Hockey Randomness

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:01 am

If you're getting at phobia only relating to the fear of something you may want to consult your dictionary, Jim.
No, I know what it means. The use of something like that doesn't mean that you oppose it, fear it, dislike it, etc. It's a slur, not a political/social statement about your emotional stance on a topic. A word is not "....phobic", the form of its use could be. COULD be.

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:07 am

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:05 am

Apparently Reddit thought Morgan Rielly yelled a homophobic slur at the ref during last night's game. The internet was up in arms and calling for suspensions, fines, etc. Upon further examination, and an official examination from the league, it was determined that no slur was said. Somebody on the ice actually said "Rag it! Rag it!" as in, hang on to the puck for bit... Once again, the internet was wrong.

Official post from the NHL:
https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1105509180822220800

So did you actually listen to the original audio or...?

Because it sounded like someone called someone else a f**king f***ot live.
Not only that, but you can see Rielly's mouth move and he's looking directly at the official as it's said.

I doubt he was telling the official to Rag it. Watch it at full screen... watch Rielly during the play. He obviously thought there should have been a whistle or something.. and as he's skating in his own end he looks at the official, his mouth moves, and the words are heard so I think it's pretty clear that it's Rielly's voice. The lighting player is going to touch the puck next, so I'm not buying the Rag it explanation.

How is this still being discussed? There's two voices in the video, Reilly yelling "**** HOOK" at the ref and someone on the Leaf's bench yelling "rag it".

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Hockey Randomness

Postby iamjs » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:25 am

Did I miss when Vegas signed Reaves to a 2yr $2.775M/per deal this summer? $5.55M over 2 years...

I heard that deal and thought it was 2y/2.775m, as in he was only making 1.38m per season. I thought that's why people were making such a big deal about "WHY DID TEH PENZ LEEVE REEVES GO????"

To this day, it amazes me that there are fans that are worked up over an overpaid fourth liner who sees the ice for about 11 minutes a night.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Hockey Randomness

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:31 am

So Brandon Manning is a healthy scratch, in the AHL. Oilers are paying him 2.5 million to eat AHL nachos...

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 am

I'm sure AHL nachos taste terrible

FistOfCaufield

Hockey Randomness

Postby FistOfCaufield » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:48 am

How is this still being discussed? There's two voices in the video, Reilly yelling "**** HOOK" at the ref and someone on the Leaf's bench yelling "rag it".
Watching it with the second voice - you are right -it's pretty clear.

The first time I watched it I was focused on Reilly with the explanation that he was the one yelling Rag it... which didn't make sense. The Spittin Chiclets podcast mentioned the second voice - and as soon as you think of a second voice, it's pretty clear that Reilly yells the first word and the second word is someone else's voice.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:39 pm

I heard that deal and thought it was 2y/2.775m, as in he was only making 1.38m per season. I thought that's why people were making such a big deal about "WHY DID TEH PENZ LEEVE REEVES GO????"

To this day, it amazes me that there are fans that are worked up over an overpaid fourth liner who sees the ice for about 11 minutes a night.
To a certain degree, the caps got to the finals by giving wedgies to nerds. We were among those nerds. Game 3 was them slapping us in the face with their collective dong. So I don’t blame people for wanting us to at least have the ability to push back.

shafnutz05

Hockey Randomness

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:52 pm

No, I know what it means. The use of something like that doesn't mean that you oppose it, fear it, dislike it, etc. It's a slur, not a political/social statement about your emotional stance on a topic. A word is not "....phobic", the form of its use could be. COULD be.
Agreed. It's hard for people to separate what happens in an environment like a hockey game versus "real life", but I do not think it is unreasonable that a player could call another player a "f****t" in the midst of a heated moment, yet have absolutely zero ill will, fear, or dislike of gay people in their personal life.

Now, if you have an incident of players actually bullying a real, actual gay player? Now we're talking. The discussion and coverage of this "incident" is insane.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:52 pm

To a certain degree, the caps got to the finals by giving wedgies to nerds. We were among those nerds. Game 3 was them slapping us in the face with their collective dong. So I don’t blame people for wanting us to at least have the ability to push back.

Yes, but let us not forget that they also filled the frigging net. Giving wedgies is only an acceptable avenue to Ws if you can actually score at a high level. If the Pens were to have scored first or got two goals in quick succession, you have bullies right where our want them.

There are different ways to be difficult to play against. The Caps have some freaks on their team, so they want to take the game to the circus.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Yes, but let us not forget that they also filled the frigging net. Giving wedgies is only an acceptable avenue to Ws if you can actually score at a high level. If the Pens were to have scored first or got two goals in quick succession, you have bullies right where our want them.

There are different ways to be difficult to play against. The Caps have some freaks on their team, so they want to take the game to the circus.
i've made peace with all things in the universe in perpetuity owwwmmmmmmm....but!

Game 3. We had the lead. We were the better team and were playing like it. We tightened up and lulled them into submission. Then Wilson creams ZAR, he's chuckling with Beagle on the bench, and we completely lose our cool. The Caps get boners over the whole thing. The game opens up and everyone stops focusing and plays looser. No to mention the Caps score a tying goal while Wilson's 5 minutes should have been on the board. Fast forward past Murray crapping his shorts on the next tying goal, and you have Wilson bearing down on Maatta, who craps his shorts in a different way and hands the puck to Backstrom to start the GWG play. Sure, he slew foots him for good measure, but the unchecked bully was causing mayhem and there was nothing we could do about it. And of course Maatta was feeling it on that play.

I firmly believe we win that series if that penalty was correctly called at the time. And I think there's a good chance we win if Wilson simply doesn't check ZAR to begin with. But that game went completely off the rails because of the Caps' big d*** energy. And we had none.

This is ultra specific and not worth focusing on too much. But we had no answer for a team gaining steam via shenanigans. Do we have that answer now? Probably not. We have one guy. And he doesn't forecheck. I wish we had some more toughness (in a "imma f*** you up" way). We didn't need it in '16 because we were better than everyone else. We kiiinda needed it in '17 when Stone was punching Guentzel in the face and our reaction was "Hey! That's not nice!" or when Bobby Ryan was doing his f*** boy routine. But we gritted it out.

Or maybe this is an emotional thing where I don't like bullies. Not sure, exactly.

willeyeam

Hockey Randomness

Postby willeyeam » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:28 pm

We need a Kunitz

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Hockey Randomness

Postby iamjs » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Not disagreeing with that, but I'm talking even a year later. You still hear a portion of "if we still had Reaves on the team."

Or I should stop reading the FB comment section after a loss.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:39 pm

Ever*

dodint

Hockey Randomness

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:33 pm

Evander Kane's wife miscarried at 26wks. Sad. :(

Jim

Hockey Randomness

Postby Jim » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:01 pm

Not disagreeing with that, but I'm talking even a year later. You still hear a portion of "if we still had Reaves on the team."

Or I should stop reading the FB comment section after a loss.

Imagine how much Jim Hate there would be posted if I had not banned myself from GDTs? If you want stupid comments, just look in GDTs where the Pens got behind early and lost. Reactionary bad take after reactionary bad take.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 pm

Yeah...I can't imagine being so unbalanced...

Jim

Hockey Randomness

Postby Jim » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:51 pm

Yeah...I can't imagine being so unbalanced...

It's really bad when the voices disagree.