Hockey Randomness

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Lightning now have $65.8MM committed to 7F, 3D, and 2G for the 2019-20 season. Paquette, Point, Koekkoek, and Dotchin will be RFAs; Sergachev and Vasilevsky will be RFAs in 2020-21. Really don't know what kind of cap magic they plan on making work to get EK re-signed on a long-term deal.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:17 pm

I was having a good day, Tomas

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:17 pm

They have so much entry-level help on the way (they're the best drafting team in the league) that they can easily shed some pieces and be no worse for wear...even with this money tied up, I really believe they have some of the greatest flexibility out there while still being relevant...

shafnutz05

Hockey Randomness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:24 pm

I was having a good day, Tomas
:lol:

In sixty years, long-suffering Caps fans will still be lamenting the "Curse of the New Ring"

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Apparently the Stars are the frontrunners for EK's services again.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Hockey Randomness

Postby iamjs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:36 pm

They have so much entry-level help on the way (they're the best drafting team in the league) that they can easily shed some pieces and be no worse for wear...even with this money tied up, I really believe they have some of the greatest flexibility out there while still being relevant...
but who are they gonna move?

(actually in the middle of an argument about this right now)

moving Point right now doesn't gain much cap space and Vasilevskiy will also be due for a raise in 2020. Between the two of them, I'm guessing about 9m in raises (Point to probably 5.5m if he has a similar season, Vasilsevskiy to at least 7.5m.)

Miller doesn't have an NTC, but that would be a really bad look to deal somebody after they just signed a long-term deal.
Callahan? Nobody is taking that contract? 5.8m until 2020 and has been in decline since 2015.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Point is untouchable. Point is a $7 million player if he wants to be.

Callahan comes off the books in 2020. So for one year, they could move that guy (a la Orpik). Matt Carle's buyout also comes off the books that year. So if they can get to 2020, that's $7.5 million or so right there...

Killorn becomes movable (and desirable) with J.T. Miller signed. You don't need both of them.

I'm not sure what else needs to be done.

I think they're biggest mistake long-term will have been McDonagh...

iamjs

Hockey Randomness

Postby iamjs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:46 pm

I considered Killorn since he's very affordable to most teams. However, he has a NTC and getting him to waive that NTC to go to an Arizona, an Ottawa or something along those lines would be difficult.

I completely forgot about Carle's buyout. I thought he was LTIR'ed and was with the Devils. No, that would be Ryan Clowe, who hasn't been on the ice since 2014 and has never played for the Lightning. ;)

Callahan? Even if they retain 50%, that's still a terrible contract. Trading him to a cash-strapped team wouldn't even be that beneficial (4.7m actual salary vs 5.8 cap hit.)

But my main concern about this from the Lightning's standpoint is that you can free up that money for 2020, but will the player be available? Maybe they roll the dice and get lucky in the 2019 offseason because of Florida's tax situation, although that's not necessarily unique to Florida.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:10 pm

I don't think Killorn is a dump. I think he's a player a contender wants.

Does everything has to be done by 2020 though? My point is that Callahan can either expire or they can get to a year left and dump him (again, a la Orpik...no retention, let someone else deal with it) or just use a buyout and get a couple mil back like that...

I mean, if I'm them, I add everything I can right now...I'll deal with the consequences if they ever happen...I trust my scouts to get entry-level help to fill in the blanks when I have to make hard purges...

iamjs

Hockey Randomness

Postby iamjs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:20 pm

no, no, I didn't mean Killorn as a dump. I just meant the process of moving an NTC and him having an affordable salary.

Cally's buyout would be something like... and I'm doing this in my head since I'm too lazy to look up an actual buyout calculator, something like 1.95m x 2 seasons after this season, give or take some pennies. I guess that is an option if you are that close to securing a player like Karlsson. Then again, you have to factor in your RFAs, what is available under the cap, etc.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but the amount of moving that would have to take place would have to be quite impressive.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Haha I'm doing it all in my head too...so I'm just moving the money with mental math...

I referenced Killorn as a piece because you said getting him to waive for ARZ or OTT would be tough, I agree...I'm saying a team like Pittsburgh would want him. So I don't think the NTC (pending its structure) is a hurdle because I think he's desirable...he's kind of like Ryan Malone but with half the blow...so that's why I think he's movable...or hell, you could even reason the very underrated Palat is movable if one of these kids comes up and play a two-way game close to what he does...Palat is Hossa Jr. and at five and change, that's not bad...

I agree it would all be impressive, but at the same time, I think they have an impressive amount of assets to make it work. I do wish I would take the 10 minutes to actually sit and map it out to see if I'm making much sense or not much sense...but...:meowshrug:

shoeshine boy

Hockey Randomness

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 am

TIL that Washington players's names will go on a brand new Stanley Cup ring, and that ring will stay on the Cup for the next 65 years...

OvenChicken finally let someone else enjoy The Cup???? :pop:

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:22 am

TIL that Washington players's names will go on a brand new Stanley Cup ring, and that ring will stay on the Cup for the next 65 years...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Hockey Randomness

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:15 pm

The trade:

Marcus Kruger, MacKenzie Entwistle, Jordan Maletta, defenseman Andrew Campbell and a fifth-round pick in 2019 to the #Blackhawks.

Marian Hossa, Vinnie Hinostroza, defenseman Jordan Oesterle and a third-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft to Arizona.
https://twitter.com/BrianSandalow/statu ... 9265422338

@Dickie Dunn here is your action.

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:32 pm

**** Arizona.

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:41 pm

It's really annoying how they keep bailing teams out of bad contracts.

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:58 pm

I still don’t think that should be allowed, but whatever.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:36 pm

This doesn't give me any heartburn really...the Coyotes get two NHL players in Hinostroza and Oesterle and because of a since-outlawed deal, it helps a young team get to the floor...

I also thought (irrelevantly) that Entwistle had a good season in the O...started to turn the corner...

Silentom

Hockey Randomness

Postby Silentom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Maybe he'll find the Entwives somewhere in Arizona.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Hockey Randomness

Postby LITT » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:21 pm

will hossa go in HOF as a coyote?

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:43 pm

Players don't go into the HHOF associated with a team.

Assuming Hossa is a HOFer...which I don't think is a lock, but I do think he ends up in there at some point. That drags Alfredsson with him, right? Then if Alfy gets in, what about Marleau with a signature playoff run and a Cup, very possible in Toronto these days honestly...

dodint

Hockey Randomness

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:25 am

You should make that your location, save yourself from repeating it.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:56 am

:oops: I don't talk history here often, so I assume I said it on another board...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Hockey Randomness

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 am

Despres gets a tryout in Montreal.

shafnutz05

Hockey Randomness

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Players don't go into the HHOF associated with a team.

Assuming Hossa is a HOFer...which I don't think is a lock, but I do think he ends up in there at some point. That drags Alfredsson with him, right? Then if Alfy gets in, what about Marleau with a signature playoff run and a Cup, very possible in Toronto these days honestly...
That's tough...Marleau is another Hall of Very Good to me. His longevity and production are unquestionable, but he has never been one of the top stars in the league in any given season. Of course, Andreychuk etc. getting in makes it more likely now. A Cup would probably seal it for him.