Hockey Randomness

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:58 am

Did he get really excited and his voice sound like he was 12 when he talked about Hart?

Call it RVH and the goalie guild will let you right in.

Did Shane like RVH or not? I know he used to coach VHS pretty hard, but he’s adaptable so he might be coming around. Since he does a lot of youth coaching, I can see RVH being tough to coach to youngins.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 am

His face did light up yeah...haha

He seems to be coming around on it...Hart is glued to it, to a fault in my opinion...the best common ground we had is that I said "I'm cool with it for plays originating from behind, but not on rush chances...especially if you have a bad stick (which Hart does)" and he liked that point...he says RVH is the new thing and growing and VH is sliding in popularity...

Which I don't love personally...so I stand (kneel?) with Cory Schneider...

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:16 am

RVH, at its core, is designed to keep your hands free and active so if you have bad hands, just VHS it. I know that blanket doesn’t cover everyone and it is way more of a comfort thing.

Tomas

Hockey Randomness

Postby Tomas » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:54 am

21-part Twitter rant, and all wrong! :lol:

https://twitter.com/slavamalamud/status ... 36?lang=en

Kazan easily - series 4:1 - beats CSKA Moscow (which defeated Malamud's presumed champion St. Petersburg in Conference Finals) in KHL finals.

The rant boy quiet as a mouse today (before the finals, he still claimed 'victory' because (paraphrasing) "CSKA is as corrupt as St. Petersburg, and they were the only team allowed to derails St. Petersburg from KHL title.")...

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:56 pm

Wild fired GM Chuck Fletcher.

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:40 pm

“Fired.” His contract was up and they decided not to offer him a new one.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:19 pm

https://twitter.com/byIanThomas/status/ ... 99072?s=20
NHL news in @sbjsbd: Starting next season, NHL & teams will be selling in-ice advertising in the four rink corners. Was tested at ASG in Tampa & in China
Ugh.

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:20 pm

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:25 pm

Keeps it off the jerseys and goalie pads...I'll live...

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:12 am

Could. Not. Care. Less.

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:35 am

Doesn't matter in the long run, but it does look like amateur hour with that on the ice, IMO.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:52 am

Same thing was said about the boards in the early to mid 1980s...

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:17 am

Well, I care. Everything is sponsored, there's picture-in-picture ads after icing, digital projection ads on the glass behind the goals, four ads around center ice. It's only a matter of time before the NHL looks like this:

And stop kidding yourself that jersey ads aren't coming.

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:22 am

Yeah, I never cared about ads along the boards, and still don't. Load 'em up. Whatever. But ads on the ice are going to be significantly more distracting.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:31 am

Gate-driven league needs gate-based ads to continue to move forward...a couple of small ads in the corners won't do anything...there's four ads at center ice already, no1curr...

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 am

Source of the post a couple of small ads in the corners won't do anything...there's four ads at center ice already, no1curr...
And in a year or so, your next post will read "a couple of small ads at the blue line won't do anything...there's four ads at center ice and a couple of small ads in the corners already." I'm not arguing the business decision, just that I think it a) looks gaudy and b) can become distracting.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:45 am

Source of the post a couple of small ads in the corners won't do anything...there's four ads at center ice already, no1curr...
And in a year or so, your next post will read "a couple of small ads at the blue line won't do anything...there's four ads at center ice and a couple of small ads in the corners already." I'm not arguing the business decision, just that I think it a) looks gaudy and b) can become distracting.
Right. "It's just a small advertising patch on the right side of the jersey. And it won't be on the retail versions."

Hey kids, want to go see the Pittsburgh Penguins presented by UPMC play at the PPG Paints Arena brought to you by McDonalds, Dick's, GNC, Bud Light, Giant Eagle, and Eat n Park? Just wait till they go on the Powerball Powerplay.

dodint

Hockey Randomness

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:45 am

The opposing argument here is something along the lines of 'hockey is hard enough for newcomers when it comes to tracking the puck, even with the advances in HDTV, adding more color to the playing surface will make it even more difficult."

The solution is obviously to bring back FoxTrax, but now with the advancement in computers over the last 25 years we should be able to embed a logo in the trail. Imagine a slap shot, and the Trax turns orange and a Penske Trucking logo stretches across the screen.

You know, I might delete that **** before the league gets a hold of it.

dodint

Hockey Randomness

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:46 am

Hey kids, want to go see the Pittsburgh Penguins presented by UPMC play at the PPG Paints Arena brought to you by McDonalds, Dick's, GNC, Bud Light, Giant Eagle, and Eat n Park? Just wait till they go on the Powerball Powerplay.
They've been softening us up to this for years:

I own one of those. Heh.

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:47 am

Source of the post The solution is obviously to bring back FoxTrax, but now with the advancement in computers over the last 25 years we should be able to embed a logo in the trail. Imagine a slap shot, and the Trax turns orange and a Penske Trucking logo stretches across the screen.
I still have a FoxTrax puck.. and hope to never see that technology used in hockey ever again.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:50 am

Source of the post The solution is obviously to bring back FoxTrax, but now with the advancement in computers over the last 25 years we should be able to embed a logo in the trail. Imagine a slap shot, and the Trax turns orange and a Penske Trucking logo stretches across the screen.
I still have a FoxTrax puck.. and hope to never see that technology used in hockey ever again.
I wouldn't mind FoxTrax if it was only used during some replays. And with NHL.tv, it could be an optional feed. Bring back FoxTrax and those hockey playing robots!

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:01 am

protecting hockey from visible sponsorship is a weird battle. not sure why anyone cares.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:03 am

protecting hockey from visible sponsorship is a weird battle. not sure why anyone cares.
Eh, like everybody here, I watch a lot of hockey. It's an aesthetic battle more than sponsorship battle. Ads on the ice, the boards, and the glass are not visually pleasing. How long till the NHL gets the blue Geico goal posts?

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:08 am

I did have a response typed out to this and it got eaten by the internet somehow...

Short points:
- I'm actually anti- most of this stuff, as I'm a staunch traditionalist.
- I just don't find this to be crossing any kind of line of no return
- The NHL has done a fine job slow rolling this...kept ads off jerseys and goalies (prevented one goalie from getting his pads sponsored already)
- Technical options: superimposing ads on the glass on broadcasts, Canada has already been doing the five-second spot commercials between whistles for years, happens 2 or 3 times a game probably. Only new to American broadcasts. Rotating ads in boards has been tested.
- Comfortable with the pace that the NHL has set for advertising. Gate-driven league needs gate-based revenue to keep the ball moving. Don't see an issue...yet.

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:09 am

Source of the post - Technical options: superimposing ads on the glass on broadcasts, Canada has already been doing the five-second spot commercials between whistles for years, happens 2 or 3 times a game probably. Only new to American broadcasts. Rotating ads in boards has been tested.
If we're talking about the digital ads behind the nets, I'm 100% okay with this.