Hockey Randomness

thehockeyguru

Hockey Randomness

Postby thehockeyguru » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:54 am

Thats where I get hung up. Its not an isolated instance where one crew is calling obstruction / holding and others arent. It seems consistent across all crews where they dont call it. I know when the NHL resumed from the lock out, there was an emphasis on making those calls. Could it be that now the NHL has put emphasis on not making those calls? I have no idea.

All I know is that the officiating is consistent in letting this creep back into the game. The NHL has celebrated the parity in the league as of late as they should. But if the parity is a result on the way the officials are calling the game then it isnt parity at then its manufactured or manipulated.
I think the increased obstruction is actually a good thing for the overall health of the game.
How so?

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:55 am

Less deaths on retrievals for one...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:27 am

Thats where I get hung up. Its not an isolated instance where one crew is calling obstruction / holding and others arent. It seems consistent across all crews where they dont call it. I know when the NHL resumed from the lock out, there was an emphasis on making those calls. Could it be that now the NHL has put emphasis on not making those calls? I have no idea.

All I know is that the officiating is consistent in letting this creep back into the game. The NHL has celebrated the parity in the league as of late as they should. But if the parity is a result on the way the officials are calling the game then it isnt parity at then its manufactured or manipulated.
I think the increased obstruction is actually a good thing for the overall health of the game.
How so?
The game was too fast. Think about three or four seasons ago. Shannahan had to make one of those suspension videos every other day because some poor defenseman got de-skated by a forechecker going mach 1. Quintal hasn't had to do that. I'll take a safer product over a faster product.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Hockey Randomness

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:39 am

Gfycat Video - Click to Play

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:38 pm

How so?
The game was too fast. Think about three or four seasons ago. Shannahan had to make one of those suspension videos every other day because some poor defenseman got de-skated by a forechecker going mach 1. Quintal hasn't had to do that. I'll take a safer product over a faster product.
catch 22 i guess, since this safer league is a lot less entertaining.

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:20 pm

I think it's a fairly simple choice when you are dealing with the health of individuals. I think this current game is about the fastest that can be performed safely, given the equipment technology.

thehockeyguru

Hockey Randomness

Postby thehockeyguru » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:10 pm

How so?
catch 22 i guess, since this safer league is a lot less entertaining.
Dump-ins are just one situation. I have no problem with them allow a little bit of obstruction here. Its more the grabbing / holding that goes on along the boards. I just cant stand seeing defenseman with a free hand grabbing onto guys.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:57 pm

dump ins are a problem. and they're the easiest to call. and officials aren't doing it. seems too obvious for this just to be backsliding, there has to have been some sort of mandate.

columbia

Hockey Randomness

Postby columbia » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:01 pm

It's funny how the "heavy" (or whatever the hell that buzzword is) team and defending champion couldn't make the cut in this environment.

Well, maybe funny isn't the word.

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:15 pm

It's funny how the "heavy" (or whatever the hell that buzzword is) team and defending champion couldn't make the cut in this environment.

Well, maybe funny isn't the word.
Anaheim, Winnipeg, St. Louis, and, hell even Washington play 'heavy' games.

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:18 pm

The dump-ins and that obstruction is hit/miss.

The thing I hate is like that one Vine of Crosby in the Dallas game, where he's going for a loose puck and the defender is literally hanging on to his back.

That has no place in the game, yet the league is allowing it and not calling it.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:14 am

Craig Berube out as Flyers coach...

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:27 am

crap

Sam's Drunk Dog

Hockey Randomness

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:14 pm

crap
Watch the Flyers hire Bylsma and then win the cup next year. :scared:

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:23 pm

They'd have to hire a new defense too...

dodint

Hockey Randomness

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:13 pm

No one to make the stretch pass?

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:15 pm

Screw Edmonton.

joopen

Hockey Randomness

Postby joopen » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Screw Edmonton.
Connor McDavud looked piiiiiiiiiissssssssssed off

dodint

Hockey Randomness

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Sorry, Sabres. So much wasted billboard money.

That was riveting and such a let down all at once. What a shitty front office. I don't feel horrible for Buffalo, though, was mostly pulling for Toronto and Columbus.

Was nice seeing Arizona screwed out of McEichel though. Silver lining.

Craig

Hockey Randomness

Postby Craig » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:43 pm

I deally didnt want columbus to get it. Them and philly back to back was the only remoty stressful part of the thing...i forgot edmonton existed till i saw the card. That was worse than if philly had won it.

Avyran

Hockey Randomness

Postby Avyran » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:33 pm

McDavid's reaction to the draft lottery, in picture & video form.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Hockey Randomness

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:48 pm

"Anywhere but Edmonton. Anywhere but Edmonton. Anywhere but Edmonton. ****!"

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:52 pm

If I was him I'd pull a Lindros. No one deserves to play for that franchise. What a horrible result for the league.

Craig

Hockey Randomness

Postby Craig » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:02 am

Can they just go to 29 teams then if they want to add a team in seattle just go back to 30. Get rid of edmonton.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:50 pm

Edmonton has gotten number one picks in years where they haven't been elite players and wouldn't be on even a real NHL team. I don't see any injustice with them finally getting someone like McDavid.