Hockey Randomness

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:09 pm

JS Giguere...?
A guy who was never top considered top 5 at his position for any discernible stretch of time...? I know all about the 2003 playoffs, but I couldn't honestly find a case for Giguere in the top 5 of Ducks all time...

If the first two rounds of 2003 didn't shine so brightly, you couldn't probably say he's in a pretty tight heat with Gibson and Hebert for best goalie in Ducks history even...Giguere gets the benefit of the doubt for waxing Detroit and Dallas (Minnesota he gets a little too much mileage out of)...but he's not so far ahead of even the goalies much less the five names we've had so far for me...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:50 am

:lol: That's awesome. I've heard he's a little looney tunes, but a real good guy...
Aren't all goalies looney tunes?
https://tenor.com/view/creed-the-office ... if-4978764

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:54 am

NHL released some post-expansion center list...I took 9 seconds to glance it over and then made my own better list...because that's the internetiest thing to do...

I'd probably be somewhere in this area...
1. 99
2. 66
--
3. 87
4. Messier
--
5. Clarke
6. Sakic
7. Yzerman
8. Trottier
9. Malkin
10. Esposito
11. Forsberg
--
12. Dionne
13. Keon (counts?)
14. Oates
15. Jumbo
16. Fedorov
17. Lemaire
18. Lindros
19. Gilmour
20. Francis

There's a few other names to swap in towards the bottom as there are with the bottom of any list...the toughest part is separating 5 thru 8 really...

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:58 am

Lists are dumb and you should feel dumb for making one. That said, Oates is top 10 for me

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:21 pm

The thing about the top 10 is that there's only 10 spots in it...so who comes out...? And if you take Oates, you really really really probably have to take Thornton with him...so, that's potentially two that have to leave...

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:30 pm

Oates is 10 and Jumbo is 11 everyone slides down two

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Hockey Randomness

Postby iamjs » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:45 pm

somebody got Craig Button with Czech prospect "Lic Mysak"

:face:

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:58 pm

bwhahahahaha

the wicked child

Hockey Randomness

Postby the wicked child » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:36 pm

That is some great stuff.

Lelldorin

Hockey Randomness

Postby Lelldorin » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:16 am

NHL released some post-expansion center list...I took 9 seconds to glance it over and then made my own better list...because that's the internetiest thing to do...

1. 99
2. 66
--
3. 87
4. Messier
--
5. Clarke
6. Sakic
7. Yzerman
8. Trottier
9. Malkin
10. Esposito
11. Forsberg
--
12. Dionne
13. Keon (counts?)
14. Oates
15. Jumbo
16. Fedorov
17. Lemaire
18. Lindros
19. Gilmour
20. Francis

There's a few other names to swap in towards the bottom as there are with the bottom of any list...the toughest part is separating 5 thru 8 really...
Just for conversation
-Is Messier clearly better than Clarke? Sure, he got two Harts while facing Gretzky and Lemieux and compiled a lot of points. In four of his six cups he was playing with Gretzky. Clarke got three Harts (while facing Orr and then Lafleur/Esposito/Trottier) and similarly to Messier claimed two cups as the No 1 C.

-Is Sakic better than Yzerman?
It seems to be quite close. Both had an excellent second center on their team in Forsberg/Fedorov.
Yzerman never received any Hart thanks to facing Lemieux and Gretzky even though he had an excellent season in 88-89. But I think that Sakic comes out on top to me thanks to producing well in the twilight of his career.

-Does Gilmour belong in the top 20?
His 92-93 season was excellent, especially the playoffs, but otherwise he doesn't stand out so much for me.

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:24 am

Where the hell is Jonathan Toews? Asking for a Gen Zer.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:53 am

I'll get to the response to that in a bit...but unfortunately Colby Cave didn't make it. Gone at 25. :cry:

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:15 am

oh ****. RIP

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:57 am

1. 99
2. 66
--
3. 87
4. Messier
--
5. Clarke
6. Sakic
7. Yzerman
8. Trottier
9. Malkin
10. Esposito
11. Forsberg
--
12. Dionne
13. Keon (counts?)
14. Oates
15. Jumbo
16. Fedorov
17. Lemaire
18. Lindros
19. Gilmour
20. Francis

Just for conversation
-Is Messier clearly better than Clarke? Sure, he got two Harts while facing Gretzky and Lemieux and compiled a lot of points. In four of his six cups he was playing with Gretzky. Clarke got three Harts (while facing Orr and then Lafleur/Esposito/Trottier) and similarly to Messier claimed two cups as the No 1 C.

-Is Sakic better than Yzerman?
It seems to be quite close. Both had an excellent second center on their team in Forsberg/Fedorov.
Yzerman never received any Hart thanks to facing Lemieux and Gretzky even though he had an excellent season in 88-89. But I think that Sakic comes out on top to me thanks to producing well in the twilight of his career.

-Does Gilmour belong in the top 20?
His 92-93 season was excellent, especially the playoffs, but otherwise he doesn't stand out so much for me.
Always love the opportunity, so I'm glad you said anything.

- I used to be really down on Messier compared to the rest of the world (especially) and the historical community. After going back and watching more of him from the 80's, he really grew on me. He has risen significantly for me in the last couple years (from like 25-30ish best player ever to 15-20ish). Messier was more complete than Clarke in the sense that he took less selfish penalties (modestly) and he could actually score goals. Plus, he was a better skater. Most people think I have Clarke a little too high actually (even me sometimes), so I'm a little surprised about this call, but it's valid none the less. If I was asked this three or four years ago, I doubt Messier is there (then again, Sid isn't either) but go back and watch some of those series against Calgary in the Smythe Division Playoffs...he's a beast. And I don't even give Messier full credit for a second Hart, that was clearly Bourque's and it was fixed against him.

- Is Sakic better than Yzerman? That's the age old question really. I came around on it being Sakic because of his adaptability. Yzerman has that "155" number to wear like a badge of honor of course. But when Yzerman had to scale it back, he lost more offense than Sakic did. Sakic was able to be a two-way threat and still keep a little better scoring pace...Sakic hit 100 points at age 37. Yzerman's last was at age 27 (would have hit it at 28 too, to be fair). Love both these players and while Sakic was less flashy, he routinely and consistently got the job done. Playoffs included. Sakic's whole package just has a few less holes than Yzerman's for me.

- Gilmour was a superstar grinder before Sid. He kinda gets lost in the sands of time a little bit...but he was a really terrific playmaker, he could play the cycle game along the wall with the best of them, he was routinely in the Selke conversation and unlike Toews...he actually produced. Finished top-8 in assists five times, points three times.

Playoffs is really Gilmour's calling card. He wasn't really a part of any wagon squads besides the late 80's Flames who had to beat Gretzky to get anywhere...but he's one of the most productive players in playoff history...

Min. 100 GP since 1980 - here are the point per game leaders in the playoffs:
1. Gretzky 1.84 (208 GP)
2. Lemieux 1.61 (107 GP)
3. Bossy 1.32 (112 GP)
4. Messier 1.25 (236 GP)
5. Kurri 1.17 (200 GP)
6. Crosby 1.13 (164 GP)
7. Forsberg 1.13 (151 GP)
8. Sakic 1.09 (172 GP)
9. Linseman 1.07 (105 GP)
10. Savard 1.04 (169 GP)
11. Malkin 1.04 (162 GP)
12. Gilmour 1.03 (182 GP)
13. Stevens 1.03 (103 GP)
14. Coffey 1.01 (194 GP)

There's five dynastic Oilers on that list (1, 4, 5, 9, 14) and a lot of heady company...especially when you consider the teams he played on and how many games (!) he was able to keep that average up for...and unlike some of those guys, Gilmour played in the playoffs all the way up to 2002 - deep into the dead puck era...unlike Denis Savard, for instance, who played roughly 0 playoff games in the DPE. Malkin will likely slip under him with age, ya figure...

He was a monster.

And I know you didn't ask, but re: Toews...just mapping it out very roughly...I can't find a spot for Toews in the next 10 spots either I don't think...

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:15 pm

Is Toews better than Giroux, Lecavalier, Kopitar, Sundin, Koivu, Tavares, Getzlaf, Stamkos, Bergeron, Backstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Ratelle, Hawerchuk, Modano, Perreault, LaFontaine, Stastny, Jan Hrdina, not to menton Connor McDavid?

In fact, don't Datsyuk and Stastny, and maybe Perreault, belong in the Top 20?

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:22 pm

**** Toews.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:25 pm

Great names. Off the top of my head...

G - Territory
VL4 - Toews is better
Kopi - Territory
Sundin - Territory
Koivu - Toews is better
Tavares - Toews is better
Getzlaf - Territory/Toews
Stamkos - Territory/Stamkos
Bergeron - Bergy is better
Datsyuk - Pasha is better
Zetterberg - Hank is better
Ratelle - Territory/Ratelle
Hawerchuk - Territory
Modano - Mikey Mo is better
Perreault - Gil is better
Lafontaine - I mean, at some point, you gotta play the games...
Stastny - Stats is better
Hrdina - Hmmmmm hahaha sneaky...
McDavid - Gaining on him quickly obviously...

Who comes out for Dats, Stastny and Perreault?

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:28 pm

Hm, well, certainly not Saint Ron... ;)

Lelldorin

Hockey Randomness

Postby Lelldorin » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:11 pm

Sakic and Yzerman are extremely similar in so many ways to me. But as both wrote, Sakic's performance in the dead puck era is the dealbreaker.

I generally like players that delivers in the playoffs and have a physical edge to them. But is Gilmour so much better than Bergeron? I would love any of them on my team if I could get them at their prime for one playoff but I would probably go for Stastny or Datsyuk in this case.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:26 pm

Is Gilmour so much better than Bergeron? No. Certainly not.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:09 am

There was a post on r/hockey summarizing Teemu Selanne's thoughts on Bruce Broudreau from a recent interview. It confirms what we already knew: Brouderau is a joke.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:33 am

I'm not gonna defend Boudreau's actions there...though, it can be really tough to manage stars (it's really harder to coach star players than it is lesser players) and maybe that's not something he could do very well (though, that's not the track record: Washington).

Selanne's sugarcoating his ability in those last couple seasons...Selanne was just out there chillin' for most of the season, he turned it on to play with Getzlaf, he turned it on in the playoffs...but he wasn't even dressing in back to backs at that point, he was done, he was conserving energy...this is a completely one-sided take (of course)...

It's so funny that everyone always laments that their coach "doesn't play young players enough" and "relies too heavily on vets"...just about every coach gets that from all the dum dums that are out there...and then finally, a coach reduces the role of an older, clearly deteriorated, player for a younger player and that's also bad...you can't win for losing in sports...

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:39 am

Typically coaches discuss rolling back minutes with a player of Teemu's caliber prior to it happening. Certainly doesn't sound like it was really discussed at all after the offseason.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:40 am

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:44 am

Typically coaches discuss rolling back minutes with a player of Teemu's caliber prior to it happening. Certainly doesn't sound like it was really discussed at all after the offseason.
Almost certainly was. His whole last season was designed to conserve energy. Selanne wasn't even an every day player at that point...that didn't just happen organically...

Does anyone remember Selanne from that season?

Bruce should have handled this better (taking what Teemu said at face value), but Selanne was asking for a reduced role with his play...