Hockey Randomness

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:13 pm

They should've had a per diem. What is the issue? Why is that making them sound like brats? If I go on the road for my job, I don't have to pay for my meals. And I'm not a **** professional hockey player.

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:32 am

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Hockey Randomness

Postby iamjs » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:51 am

"only the NHL would promote its championship series with an injury highlight video"

:roll:

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:23 am

Yeah, the comments on that are pretty soft...athletic things sometimes hurt...it's ok. I wish there were more hits in the video, but I guess they didn't want to show anyone up...but the whole "terrifying toxic masculinity" pearl clutching there gives that kind of, whatever, "movement" more opposition...

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:31 am

Slight devil's advocate here:

TSN announced Monday it is running a program on the culture of pain and painkillers in the NHL (and not really putting it in a good light). I think at the very least, Kyle Quincey and Ryan Kesler (plus another guy I didn't immediately recognize) are there talking about both the toll the game took on them and their quality of life, and the prevalence of painkiller usage in the league.

Given the above, the tweet from the league could be seen as... odd timing? Perhaps slightly tone deaf?

Here's the TSN video, in case people were curious:

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:39 am

That's not really D's A as much as it is a bad coincidence...that video wasn't made in a day...

Either way, neither of those things is new...we see players get hurt, if you just watch the games...and people that follow game closely know there's some unsavory stuff with regard to pain...I get the point, I just don't see it as being terribly poignant...

Also, in any case, in a week no one will remember this video...in fact, I give it about 11 hours...

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:49 am

Good thing I didn't read the comments I guess.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:26 am

Well, you posted one haha

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:31 am

Touché.

iamjs

Hockey Randomness

Postby iamjs » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:33 am

Slight devil's advocate here:

TSN announced Monday it is running a program on the culture of pain and painkillers in the NHL (and not really putting it in a good light). I think at the very least, Kyle Quincey and Ryan Kesler (plus another guy I didn't immediately recognize) are there talking about both the toll the game took on them and their quality of life, and the prevalence of painkiller usage in the league.

Given the above, the tweet from the league could be seen as... odd timing? Perhaps slightly tone deaf?

Here's the TSN video, in case people were curious:

The other guy was Zenon Konopka, who was once said to be "twice as good as Jan Hrdina"

Odd timing? Ok, I can agree with that. I doubt TSN's intent on a year-long project was to counter a commercial that showed players in pain after blocking shots, so I can understand that side of the argument.

Slightly tone deaf? Ehhhhhhh. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with that, but not 100% agreeing either. It goes back to odd and/or bad timing. But as another person on twitter put it, if they title the commercial as "willingness to win" versus what the NHL used, are as many people upset about it?

shafnutz05

Hockey Randomness

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:55 pm

Yeah, the comments on that are pretty soft...athletic things sometimes hurt...it's ok. I wish there were more hits in the video, but I guess they didn't want to show anyone up...but the whole "terrifying toxic masculinity" pearl clutching there gives that kind of, whatever, "movement" more opposition...
It's a little bizarre that so many of the responses are from women that I doubt are actually hockey fans. The video isn't glorifying blind-side headshots, FFS.

This might take the cake.

Her bio:
28, she/her, always humming, The Mom Friend, once-dancer, intersectional feminist, plant lady, sunshine enthusiast, INFJ, type 1w2, learner
Run the other way

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Yeah, I saw that comment...didn't click on the bio though as I try not to pollute my head with that...but anyone that has that comment to that video and then backs it with that little personality vignette is a lay-up case for turning a wheel in the center of the earth for all of eternity...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:11 pm

The wanting to vomit thing kills me. What world do you live in that this makes you want to hurl?

Ad@m

Hockey Randomness

Postby Ad@m » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:12 pm

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:14 pm

Carbomb is late to the party. His twitter alert system must be down.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:54 pm

Yeah, Carbomb really rubs a lot of people the wrong way...even if you want to appreciate his message, it's just done in such a guerrilla, militant way that it turns people against him his cause...actually, maybe this post should go in the politics thread haha

iamjs

Hockey Randomness

Postby iamjs » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:12 pm

It's a little bizarre that so many of the responses are from women that I doubt are actually hockey fans. The video isn't glorifying blind-side headshots, FFS.

This might take the cake.

"life-altering injury" ...wait, what?

Did we watch the same video? Except for one shot in the knee, they were all shotblocks on the inside of the skate. This isn't exactly Trent McCleary taking one in the throat while blocking a shot.

To me, Carcillo's delivery rubs me the wrong way, not to mention what a piece of crap that he was as a player.
I know there's a lot of "well I see what I did wrong" and some attempt at good intentions behind what he's trying to deliver, but he was still a piece of crap and his preachiness gives off a "do as I say, not as I do" vibe.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:24 pm

Sometimes you hit your shin on the coffee table and just go, "this could be it for me..." you start calling your loved ones and saying goodbyes...

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:50 pm

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:56 pm

Serious injuries and head trauma are no joke, but to take a completely unsympathetic stance, my parents paid thousands upon thousands of dollars for me to spend my childhood playing the sport I loved, getting beat up and broken along the way while playing through every injury I sustained short of the one diagnosed concussion. Looking back on it as an adult who’s playing career ended long ago, I would happily trade injuries and some pain killer abuse for a Stanley Cup let alone a couple years of NHL minimum salary along the way.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:04 pm

Hazard pay...

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:09 pm

$150 bucks per month in the Navy.

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:55 am

Carbomb is a bully, was a bully and will always be a bully. That’s what his message is now. Too aggressive. Too in your face. Too much of a bully.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:16 pm

Neighbor calls police on Lightning fans screaming ‘shoot’
https://www.tampabay.com/sports/lightni ... om-police/

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:00 pm