Hockey Randomness

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Well, we all should know my feelings on this pretty well and good at this point...I stand with them.

That said, what if we flip the coin...Mario Lemieux, with new knowledge of training, new ways to correct back issues, new non-wood sticks, not having Jax Erixon dry humping him up and down the rink for 35 minutes a night...you think Nikita Kucherov is even in the range of his rear view with his 93 points? No way.

Mario quit, didn't play a game for like four years...walks into a league where teams are scoring 2.75 goals per game as a 35 year old cancer survivor and scores 35 goals in 40 games or whatever it was with 76 points. He finished top 20 in the NHL in goals after not picking up a stick for four years and even so, he only played half the games that everyone else did...he was on pace to score 67 in a league that only had three guys score over 45...

Don't get me wrong, Ovechkin is an all-time scorer...bigly. But Lemieux could score in ways that Ovechkin can't. Ovechkin has a rocket, he can one-time pucks. He can't score shorthanded and frankly, he struggles to beat goalies when in alone...famous moments of Marc-Andre Fleury robbing him in the playoffs aside, he doesn't have Lemieux's ability to make a goalie consider quitting hockey with a move...

Lemieux's famous moments are breakaways and 1v1 situations where he destroys Shawn Chambers or Ray Bourque...he was 6 for 8 in career penalty shots.

Ovechkin is just 2 for 12 in penalty shots and just a 31% shooter in the shootout.

When you're talking greatest goal scorer in history, you better bring a lot more than a one timer from the left circle. You need to score a myriad of ways in a myriad of situations. Lemieux could do it all and he could still put it away off a moving puck as well as anyone...

I'd also want to vet Bobby Hull fully before committing to Ovechkin too...
i think OV now and prime OV are also very different players. like sid, he just doesn't move around much anymore compared to the old days (but at least sid can dust this off and wear it around every so often).

but of course there were several variations of lemieux also - the 80's version was going to score on a breakaway. it was a joke how easy it was. but once goalies actually started being useful, it didn't play out that way. point being that lemieux didn't crack the cheat code with breakaways. he struggled just like everyone else once goaltending changed.
I think Lemieux absolutely did crack the cheat code with breakaways. He was as close to unstoppable as there ever was. I say this on decent authority: He was the best 1 on 1 player in the history of the game. I don't even understand really where he got it from, he is inimitable, he is an original. You can trace some of it back to Jean Beliveau, but Mario was 5 or 6 when Le Gros Bill stopped playing. Plus, he didn't play defensively like Beliveau did. No one was doing this stuff, I give a lot of points for being an innovator.

I don't care about the raw totals. I know it was easier to score in the 80's, but he worked the entire league better than anyone else minus Gretzky. And that carried over even when goalies "started being useful" -- 161 points in 1996...the next non-teammate had 120. Next year, 122 points in 76 games, only one other guy eclipsed 100.

Then he strolls in, fresh off the back nine, plays for an expansion team and scores 91 points in 67 games in the thick of the dead puck era. The guy in second on that team was Alex Kovalev: 64 points; Straka had 46; Tarnstrom had 41; Hrdina 39 then Morozov 25. Colorado's 6th highest scoring player was Derek Morris at 48 points. Our guy, an offense-only winger has 25. It was Lemieux vs. the world and his points-per was still 2nd best to Forsberg in his prime.

The guy is a machine in any era. He happened to play in an era that amplifies raw totals. If he had played when goaltending was better or in the late 90's, he wouldn't have as pronounced numbers, but we know he would still murder all comers.
none of the above is THAT linked to the original point, but i wanted to mention it because...i dunno.

i like how you framed the argument, though. this isn't about what player X would do 30 years ago. It's about what player Y would do today. and with Mario, it's a promising theory. he would have been in better shape. his back wouldn't have crumbled. he would have watched his shifts on the bench and improved in real time. and he may have put up numbers we can only dream of. his dominance in 2001 is also compelling.

...but i'm still blocked by the fact that modern players are simply better. they had it handed to them, but it is what it is. and not only does this skew at he individual level, but at the macro level, teams are better. the competition is better. goalies are a different species. which makes OV's achievements unique, IMO. the infrastructure is now preventing outliers like lemieux and gretzky.
Yeah, I just don't penalize George Washington for not nuking the British. That's tough to pin on him.

Alexander Ovechkin, who doesn't take training as seriously as some other stars, would be more likely to wear out at 30 or 31 like many other Soviet players...that's assuming he's magically in the league in the 1980's, he wouldn't have had that opportunity really...

Vladimir Krutov: Murking everyone until 1988 or 1989. By 30, he's toast: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=18370
Vladimir Petrov: again, look at that drop off at around 31 or 32...http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=42832
Even Vlad Tretiak, done by 32: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=21348

No matter how you frame it, it still needs to be adjusted for the era. DOB bias isn't something to be proud of.

How would Ovechkin deal with the no-touching game that we have today compared to the 1980's? How does he manage small roster sizes? How does he manage two line pass rules? How does he manage his shifts? 40 second shifts all throughout his development arc...Mario had 90, 100, 110 second shifts...shift management is a lost trait as coaches now manage it for you with the short shift game we see today -- wasn't always the case.

Re: teams. Expansion creates an easier road for all (apparently, with one exception). So guys like Howe had to go against the five best goalies in the world every night, five best defensive pairings every night...every night: Harvey, every night: Pilote, every night: Horton. Meanwhile, Gretzky - bad back and all - just lit up Norm Maciver to put the Kings up 10-2 over the Senators...Gretzky and Lemieux had a pretty even hand in this regard...but Mario carried it well into the 2000's with an expansion-level team and still showed he could shoot the lights out...

Meanwhile, when Ovechkin goes into best on best situations...like in the Stanley Cup Playoffs and the Olympics...he rarely comes out on top. Never really adjusts his game like Mario was able to, doesn't help his teammates become better...he shoots and he scores and they win...or he shoots and he's stopped by Fleury and they lose...

Lemieux had more dimension than that...more dimension in all regards...

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:15 pm

Your last bit...I’m not saying he’s a better overall player. Eesh.

But the rest is fair.

My only counter is that I think as time goes on, differentiation becomes more rare. The talent will equalize across the league. So peer-to-peer comparisons across eras become loose.

But there are several ways to consider Lemieux the better goal scorer. all good points.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:39 pm

No, but you're saying a goal scorer that really only scores two ways...a bull rush and a power play one-timer vs. a player that had a cornucopia of moves.

Worth considering: "Differentiation" perhaps a product of weak or imbalanced league. Not just team vs team competition, but position development and evolution.

Example --

Goaltending pre-forward pass era vs. liberalized passing era.
Adapted very well: Roy Worters (https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... ero01.html)
Struggled to adapt: George Hainsworth (https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... sge01.html)

Goaltending stand-up development vs. butterfly proliferation
Adapted very well: Martin Brodeur (https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... ema01.html)
Struggled to adapt: Kirk McLean (https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... aki01.html)

I value adaptability as one of the finer traits that an athlete or, really, a human in general can have...we still see the evolution of defense that started with Doug Harvey and then really exploded thanks to Bobby Orr. Orr was done by the mid 1970's, but in his wake, a number of defensemen came to follow his path. Still into the 1990's, rosters had third pairings that were filled with Leroux types and other goons...then we started to see the game fold under these Rathje type players and instead third pairings started to see guys like Marc-Andre Gragnani, Nikita Nesterov, Jared Spurgeon, Nick Jensen emerge...and yes, some failed...but that's the nature of evolution. Today, 40 and 50 years later, teams finally are completing rosters with these mobile defensemen...

Player disciples: A big part...innovators. Erik Karlsson --> Rasmus Dahlin, a forthcoming example. Dahlin, a lock to go 1st overall, is the first Karlsson disciple we'll see out of Sweden.

dodint

Hockey Randomness

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:56 pm

Good thread today. Cheers.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Hockey Randomness

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:16 pm

https://www.nhl.com/senators/news/ottaw ... -297128352
OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators issued the following statement regarding team captain Erik Karlsson and his wife, Melinda.

"The collective thoughts and prayers of the Ottawa Senators organization, the city of Ottawa and entire hockey community rest with Erik and Melinda Karlsson following the loss of their son.

We ask that you respect the family's wishes for privacy during the grieving process."

Silentom

Hockey Randomness

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Nice invocation of the shadjinx.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Man...EK is a guy who is so easy to root for...awful to hear.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:35 pm

f**k that

dodint

Hockey Randomness

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Nice invocation of the shadjinx.

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:39 pm

Nice, a giraffe boy gif.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:02 pm

Someone make a case for all replays not getting centrally routed through Toronto. And not an iPad to be reviewed by the guy who f’d up to begin with.

Tomas

Hockey Randomness

Postby Tomas » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:38 pm

Jagr update:

Budweiss -Kladno 2:5. Series 1:4. Jagr with another 6 second shift, but, luckily his 15th of the season. So Jagr is eligible for the promotion/relegation tournament that could get Jagr's Kladno promoted to the Czech Extraleague. The other 3 participants are Carlsbad (also 2nd league), and the two worst Extraleague teams Jihlava and Litvinov (that team is coached by Ex Penguin Jiri Slegr). Round robin 4 times (so 12 rounds), top 2 advance, bottom two get relegated.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:13 pm

please....please make it stop

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Hockey Randomness

Postby iamjs » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:23 pm

is there now any chance of Jagr playing and that this was all done to rest his knee, or is his knee toast and there's zero chance of that happening?

edit: unless something has changed from your post on the last page that I somehow missed, you don't have to answer.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:22 pm

Flyers trade the rights to Cooper Marody to Edmonton for a 2019 3rd.

columbia

Hockey Randomness

Postby columbia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:31 pm

So he’s really slow?

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:33 pm

He is not big or fast, no. But he has some skill...

Jim

Hockey Randomness

Postby Jim » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:02 pm

please....please make it stop

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:15 pm

Matt Stajan with the silver stick game tonight. Good for him

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:23 pm

Whoa...that's a lot of games for a player of Stajan's caliber...that's a 1000 more than I'll play though...

Let's take fighters like Neil, Berube and Domi out of the equation, I guess, where does he fall on the low end of the "meh forwards that played 1000 games" list:

Matt Stajan
Kirk Maltby
Kelly Buchberger
Tom Fitzgerald
Dave Lowry
Paul Ranheim
Ian Laperriere
Kris Draper
Mike Grier
Matt Cooke

columbia

Hockey Randomness

Postby columbia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:27 pm

^^^ Satan

Having said, I love Satan.

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:29 pm

He’s a heady player, so I’m not floored by it.

I would have bet everything I have that Grier didn’t sniff 1,000.

Patrick O’Sullivan said today that 4% of players that get to 100 games get to 1,000.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Satan?!?! In his prime, he had a good five-year stretch where he was considered a top-10 player at his position...I don't think he applies to a list like this...

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:35 pm

Satan: 9 of his 15 NHL seasons saw him score more goals than register assists. That’s nuts.

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:36 pm

Who did you want him to pass to? Hasek? haha