Calling out all the lawyers on this forum (wideman)

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:02 am

Apparently the nhl is going to try and go after him in federal court whatever that means.

How could they possibly do anything?

The defense of "I suffer from cte and was concussed, fight or flight response, dazed and confused, suffered brain trauma, etc"

It seems pretty air tight no?

They can't touch him the way I see it.

Maybe the ref sues the nhl, I can see that happening

If I was wideman I'd spend a couple mil on hiring lawyers and doctors to file claim against the nhl for cte.

It might take 20 years but he'll get pppaaaaaaiiiiddddddd

For the record, wideman is scum but the nhl deserves to burn

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:33 am

The texts are incriminating from what I recall.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:59 pm

That's an interesting legal theory...... brain trauma green lights assault. Wideman's defense that he essentially just sort of bumped into the linesman is tremendously silly and in no way defensible or supportable.

Think back to 91-92 (godric, you may not have even been born). Jagr got a 10-game suspension for bumping into an official during a game against the Caps iirc. It was clearly deliberate contact, to be sure. But it was also completely inconsequential. Now we have a situation where a deliberate cross-check to an official is more severe than 10 games, but 20 games is right out. Personally, I don't think he should've been allowed to skate in a professional game again this season.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:11 pm

I was too young to recall the game...but did Jagr bump him or throw a stick...not the point, but I have only heard tales of it, never seen it...

@shyster is our legal counsel here I believe.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Source of the post I was too young to recall the game...but did Jagr bump him or throw a stick...not the point, but I have only heard tales of it, never seen it...
This is the sequence but Prime(?) went out of their way not to show the actual contact:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRqT6fU-jIk

In watching that, EVERYBODY was mauled.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:26 pm

Oh, and from a contemporary Chicago-Tribune article:
Hoggarth, after consulting with linesmen Gord Broseker and Ryan Bozak, determined Jagr deliberately skated into him after Washington`s Kelly Miller scored with 59 seconds left.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992 ... n-hoggarth

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:39 am

That's an interesting legal theory...... brain trauma green lights assault. Wideman's defense that he essentially just sort of bumped into the linesman is tremendously silly and in no way defensible or supportable.

Think back to 91-92 (godric, you may not have even been born). Jagr got a 10-game suspension for bumping into an official during a game against the Caps iirc. It was clearly deliberate contact, to be sure. But it was also completely inconsequential. Now we have a situation where a deliberate cross-check to an official is more severe than 10 games, but 20 games is right out. Personally, I don't think he should've been allowed to skate in a professional game again this season.
It's not just brain trauma green lights assault

It's that assault is part of the nhl. They've made it this way.

All a lawyer would have to do is roll tape that shows how inconsistent nhl department of player safety is and say that the nhl is basically a ticking time bomb for this kind of stuff to happen were a player who experiences trauma reacts violently

Basically like ptsd

I love hockey but the nhl needs to burn over this **** way more than the nfl. They do not protect or hold their players accountable
whatsoever.

If I had a son and he wanted to be a nhl player I would discourage him

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:44 am

If it was up to me, he'd never play in the league again

Rocco

Postby Rocco » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:04 am

Insanity at the time of the offense (which I think is essentially what Algernon is saying Wideman should argue) is really hard to prove. Like, really, really hard. Also CTE at this point as far as I know can only be determined after death. Plus (people can correct me if I'm wrong) but didn't Wideman keep playing after the incident w/o being checked for a concussion?

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:08 am

I actually couldn't make much sense of the OP (sorry) and didn't see a link, but I would be shocked if the ref/linesman/whoever it was doesn't sue Wideman. I would take his case.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:20 am

All a lawyer would have to do is roll tape that shows how inconsistent nhl department of player safety is and say that the nhl is basically a ticking time bomb for this kind of stuff to happen were a player who experiences trauma reacts violently
Marty McSorely...... Todd Bertuzzi

Your assertion that 'assault is part of the NHL' doesn't really stand up to precedent, as regards judicial action.

And afaik, Rocco is right in that CTE can only be diagnosed post-mortem. So................... good luck?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:21 am

I vote we kill him to vindicate him.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:39 pm

Plus (people can correct me if I'm wrong) but didn't Wideman keep playing after the incident w/o being checked for a concussion?
ffd to 2:20 of the video

https://www.nhl.com/news/dennis-wideman ... -278258934

"Moreover, by his own admission, Wideman repeatedly refused immedidate medical attention and remained in the game."

Prior to this, I didn't know refusing medical attention and staying in the game after the League concussion spotter alerted the team to 'concussion-like symptoms' was even an option. If that's the case, isn't 'protocol' a complete misnomer?

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:55 pm

Exactly.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:56 pm

Marty McSorely...... Todd Bertuzzi

Your assertion that 'assault is part of the NHL' doesn't really stand up to precedent, as regards judicial action.

And afaik, Rocco is right in that CTE can only be diagnosed post-mortem. So................... good luck?

And what about what Brandon dubinsky did to Crosby earlier this year? Or what just happened to rust

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:12 pm

Basically like ptsd

I love hockey but the nhl needs to burn over this **** way more than the nfl. They do not protect or hold their players accountable
whatsoever.

If I had a son and he wanted to be a nhl player I would discourage him
In contrast to me earlier comment, I would have a harder time taking a player-on-player case. A player-on-ref case strikes me as being wholly different, and I'm not sure how you can or why you would compare the two.

The focus would not be on the NHL's treatment of these issues. It could serve as a backdrop in which an incident occurred, but the real defense in these things is some form of assumption of risk. That's a lot grayer when it comes to players committing severe infractions against other players since player-on-player infractions are part of every game. It's pretty black and white when it comes to officials, though. There'd be an argument that referee's assume the risk of on-ice collisions coming from the Wideman camp, but I think the video would make it hard to argue that this was that.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:33 pm

And what about what Brandon dubinsky did to Crosby earlier this year? Or what just happened to rust
In contrast to me earlier comment, I would have a harder time taking a player-on-player case. A player-on-ref case strikes me as being wholly different, and I'm not sure how you can or why you would compare the two.
Pretty much what Krafty says.

With that, I'd strenuously argue that Dubinsky deserved a lot more than 1 game, and Weber deserved a lot more than no games.

Rocco

Postby Rocco » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:31 pm

Plus (people can correct me if I'm wrong) but didn't Wideman keep playing after the incident w/o being checked for a concussion?
ffd to 2:20 of the video

https://www.nhl.com/news/dennis-wideman ... -278258934

"Moreover, by his own admission, Wideman repeatedly refused immedidate medical attention and remained in the game."

Prior to this, I didn't know refusing medical attention and staying in the game after the League concussion spotter alerted the team to 'concussion-like symptoms' was even an option. If that's the case, isn't 'protocol' a complete misnomer?
The NHL is half-assing things? Shocking.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:35 pm

I'm disappointed that this isn't called the "Official bar Wideman from hockey thread".

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:37 pm

That would appeal to me.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:52 am

Im super relaxed when it comes to suspending players for dirty hits against others. Like i dont care one bit weber wasnt suspended. It wasnt clean, but hockey is a tough game.

What wideman did? Get him out of the league.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:23 pm

I care less about what wideman did than what weber did.