Health and Fitness

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 pm

That's all that matters...no matter what you're doing, pretty much, there's always a good five tiers of people better than you at it and five tiers worse, no matter where you fall on that spectrum. People get discouraged, whether it's at the gym or in hockey or whatever...one of my best friends won't use the free weight area of her gym because she's so intimidated by what she calls "the sexy corner" that she scampers away from it whenever she even gets near it haha...which is a shame because she's got good-looking everything, but just mentally she's not that confident in it I guess...I try to sell her that it's stifling her ability to achieve her goals, but she won't buy it...

But awesome to see you're crushing it and presumably getting motivated by it... :thumb:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:53 pm

I guess since I'm a pretty big guy along with being friendly and outgoing, I never quite understood the intimidation at a gym. I've not made any friends at the gym, but small godric chat here and there, a smile and a hello, does matter what their size, sex, or sexiness is, I can at least be around anyone, do my sh*t and be done with it.

And thanks... I'm motivated right now by one thing, and one thing only: daughter on the way.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:55 pm

I see no reason to spend more than an hour at the gym to be honest. Unless you are training for some sort of competition. Everything you need to do can be done in 60 minutes or less.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Psh... I'm in and out in a half hour. I don't do cardio and strength training on the same day though.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Yeah, I'm usually a 45-50 minute guy. Sometimes a leg day will run an hour. I almost never do cardio at the gym because of things like last night...playing a men's league playoff game with only 4 players and having to play the entire game at a level that the entire team is not good enough to be playing at reasonably...chasing the puck around for 48 minutes x 10 games or whatever it is does wonders for you haha...

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:54 pm

I read that as "Sometimes a leg day and then run an hour" and was like :o

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Haha yeah, not a runner...not at all...

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:07 am

I made the mistake of doing a ton of squats and lunges one day...for some reason. Couldn't run for a week and could barely walk because my quads felt like someone had stabbed them :lol:

shmenguin

Health and Fitness

Postby shmenguin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:49 am

Awesome.. I got a $50 gift card to the store next door to the gym that does natural foods kind of stuff for the member of the month thing. They have grassfed beef. I'll probably use it on a couple beautiful steaks after my child is born and my wife can eat mid-rare steak again.
she can eat pink steak. what did someone tell you?

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:03 am

Awesome.. I got a $50 gift card to the store next door to the gym that does natural foods kind of stuff for the member of the month thing. They have grassfed beef. I'll probably use it on a couple beautiful steaks after my child is born and my wife can eat mid-rare steak again.
she can eat pink steak. what did someone tell you?
I was wondering the same. Maybe she is just averse to it with the hormones?

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:21 am

She told me her doc said nothing under medium well. I thought it was odd too. As long as the the outside gets to a high enough temp to kill the external critters, there shouldn't be anything in the muscle.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:22 am

Medium well isn't even worth eating haha.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:32 am

She told me her doc said nothing under medium well. I thought it was odd too. As long as the the outside gets to a high enough temp to kill the external critters, there shouldn't be anything in the muscle.

are you sure that wasn't just for GROUND beef? I have a friend who was dating a chef. we went with our friend to a steak place and he ordered his ribeye medium well. we told him that he needed to have it mid-rare if he didn't want to chef to break up with him. after a bite or two he said, "you're right! this is SO much better! I'd always been told that beef had to be cooked medium well to be safe." :face:

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:38 am

That's what I thought too... it should just be for ground beef, but she's holding fast on this one that she cannot have red meat below medium well. Who am I to tell a pregnant woman she's wrong about something that in the end doesn't really harm anyone?

columbia

Health and Fitness

Postby columbia » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:43 am

That's what I thought too... it should just be for ground beef, but she's holding fast on this one that she cannot have red meat below medium well. Who am I to tell a pregnant woman she's wrong about something that in the end doesn't really harm anyone?
Correct answer

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:43 am

The man that made her that way...? That's your kid...if c2i wants his unborn son to get e.coli then c2i's unborn son is going to get e.coli and that's final.

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:44 am

It's a girl, so....

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 am

It would be more from cross contamination but Listeria Monocytogenes is probably a bigger concern.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 am

It's a girl, so....
Your wife has got you by the balls, my friend. I do not envy you. :(

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 am

I believe she cited toxoplasmosis as the issue... again, the parasite that's inside of her will be out in less than 3 months. I can easily make it that long without a steak as I don't particularly like to order steak when I'm out nor do I cook it often. If I don't have to have the "you're wrong" conversation with her, then I won't.

NAN

Health and Fitness

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 am

Does this happen to anyone else:

When going to the gym I can do cardio for like an hour, push it hard, and be fine doing every cardio exercise (treadmill, stairs, step routine, elliptical), and then go lift and I'm fine.

But if I lift first and then try any cardio, I feel like I'm going to die.

Why is that?

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:56 am

Cardio doesn't exhaust the muscles in the same way...

I do some minor cardio (very minor, mind you...as I don't really do cardio in the gym) before I start as just a warmup...you're basically just doing a really long warm-up...lifting tears muscles, so it makes it tough to pump out cardio secondarily...

I imagine that there's a real, scientific answer where one makes more sense than the other...but, again, I don't really do cardio in this way, so I'm not the best to answer this...but that didn't stop me...

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:13 pm

I figured I'd give the 5k thing another go today since I had time... nailed it. 28 min 30 seconds. Now to get it under 25.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:58 pm

I figured I'd give the 5k thing another go today since I had time... nailed it. 28 min 30 seconds. Now to get it under 25.
Congrats dude!!! That is a solid time. What are you at weight-wise right now? Because that's an excellent time considering how much weight you are still carrying. (that's not meant to be an insult, obviously). You may discover that you are a decent runner (and like it) like I did when I turned 30.

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:15 pm

I was at 248 this morning. So down 37 pounds so far. And no worries. Even if it was an insult, it’s warranted. Not sure how I let myself get that big and think it was normal.

I kind of weirdly think I do like running... never thought I’d be that kind of person.