Health and Fitness

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:24 am

I hit below the 180 mark for the first time in my adult life I think, or at least since high school. I was content staying in between 185-190, but I think I am going to try to stay between 180-185 now. I'm going to be 36 in May but feel about 10 years younger and am easily in the best shape of my life. I have a fairly visible 6 pack at this point.

All of this with no food restrictions. I eat what I want when I want and just watch my total calorie intake. No food is bad. If I want pizza i eat pizza, if I want a burger I eat a burger. I'm just conscious of my overall diet. I work out every day in some form or fashion though that is more for aesthetic reasons and to be able to eat more haha :-)
Last edited by skullman80 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:45 am

Dude that’s awesome. Big time congrats. Lowest I ever got was 184 in boot camp. You’ve made a hell of a transformation.

I went from 232 to 192 over a 5ish month period last year, but the “eat as much as possible” bug struck after the holiday and I’m back up to 205. Guess it’s time to get back on the wagon.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:53 am

Dude that’s awesome. Big time congrats. Lowest I ever got was 184 in boot camp. You’ve made a hell of a transformation.

I went from 232 to 192 over a 5ish month period last year, but the “eat as much as possible” bug struck after the holiday and I’m back up to 205. Guess it’s time to get back on the wagon.
I put on about 5lbs between Thanksgiving and New Years.. I considered that a victory. Took me until now to get back to get that back off plus the 5 or so extra I now have off. I still track over the holidays but am a lot looser with it so I give myself a range to gain cause I know I can get it back off easily after i get back on track. My wife also wanting to lose weight makes me naturally watch things closer as I am the one who prepares all the meals for us so she can track things. She is down almost 30lbs since she started trying to lose weight again back at the start of November.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:00 am

That's awesome skullman! Great work.

I think I've hit my sweet spot around 160-165, but I would like to add some muscle now. I also have the paunch that I'd like to burn off since you still can't see my ab muscles.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:51 am

I'm back on the rollercoaster and put "a few" lbs back on. Problem is I have something going on with my knee, so running is out of the question right now. Was initially told my tibia was out of alignment and was causing pain in my knee, bad enough to the point where I was limping around for about a week+. Turns out that wasn't the only issue.

https://www.braceability.com/blogs/arti ... de-to-side
that's what I was dealing with in the middle.

It actually felt similar to when I was having issues with my MPFL a few years ago. If my knee would get sore, I'd brace it up for a week or two, or sometimes throw the brace on when I was going for a run. That ended up not working so I got a bit concerned and went to the doc. He starts feeling around my knee and mentions something about my patella. A few clicks later, and although the pain wasn't totally gone it was noticeably better after he adjusted it.

A week later, and I don't have the limp that I had going on but I still can't run or even jog. I was told not to rush it, so... yeah, this is where I am at this point.

Viva la Ben

Health and Fitness

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:56 am

I weighed myself this morning 203.7 lbs. Sometime in March last year I gave up eating fast food and was around 250lbs. My diet isn’t exactly strict, but I’m consciencely eat less carbs, a lot more protein, and have nearly eliminated soft drinks with artificial sweeteners

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:37 am

I don't do fast food much at all anymore. If I am going to eat a burger it's going to be a good ass burger that's worth it. I love carbs way too much to give them up, but I know some people have success with that. Also I did dump regular pop, but cherry coke zero is the nectar of the gods and you can pry that from my cold dead hands.

bhflyhigh

Health and Fitness

Postby bhflyhigh » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:54 am

That's awesome skullman. Truly inspirational.

I can't gain or lose. I just sit in-between 205-210. I can diet for a few days and then I don't even realize it until it's too late, but I'll just binge for a day to make up for the missed calories. I'd like to get down to 180-185. So 25-30 pounds. Doesn't seem like much but I just can't commit. I love running and 25-30 pounds would make running a lot easier. I just need to do it.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:58 am

I am constant failure. About ready to give up and just embrace the joy of diabetes.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:25 am

Dodint...WWJGD

What would Jon Gruden do? He wouldn't give up...he'd parlay him being a television personality of minor note and turn it into a hilarious contract that will age about as well as his teachings have...so get out there and be as below average as you can! I believe in have heard of you!

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:29 am

I am constant failure. About ready to give up and just embrace the joy of diabetes.
Don't give up. Failure is giving up. You just gotta go one day at a time. Baby steps.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:41 am

I'm actually trending down over the last few years. I used to regularly top out at 300 and now I crest at 280.

I'm just pissed off because I have failed at setting out long term goals (lost 80lbs over 12 months, etc) so I started setting intermediate goals (lose 10 lbs in the next two months). I started great the beginning of Feb when I went to St. Paul. Packed my own food and tightly controlled everything. Three days into it I got knocked down with some kind of unholy god damn **** flu that lasted 11 mother **** days. So my exercise routine was disrupted entirely. That put me behind with work and school, but I kept up with tightly controlling caloric intake at less than 1900 cal/day. I enjoyed an initial drop of 5 pounds or so but then my body has just been steadfastly hung up at 278.

It happens and isn't a big deal. But I just don't have the mental toughness for it right now. I'm SO, INCREDIBLY, ANGRY at just everything in life right now because of the pressures of school and work that I've just taken to a kind of RAGE eating the last three days. I stopped at Taco Bell last night and bought a dozen tacos; ate 10 of them just to punish myself for...what, I don't even know...just indulging in being utterly self-destructive so as to maybe validate my anger, I don't know. I'm just so mad. I go through lows and highs like everyone else but right now I'm absolutely **** off at the world.

I'm going on spring break next Friday for a week and hope to rejuvenate and get back in touch with myself. My life is good and I have no excuse to harbor this much anger. A week with a beach house and friends will help.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:49 am

I'm actually trending down over the last few years. I used to regularly top out at 300 and now I crest at 280.

I'm just pissed off because I have failed at setting out long term goals (lost 80lbs over 12 months, etc) so I started setting intermediate goals (lose 10 lbs in the next two months). I started great the beginning of Feb when I went to St. Paul. Packed my own food and tightly controlled everything. Three days into it I got knocked down with some kind of unholy god damn **** flu that lasted 11 mother **** days. So my exercise routine was disrupted entirely. That put me behind with work and school, but I kept up with tightly controlling caloric intake at less than 1900 cal/day. I enjoyed an initial drop of 5 pounds or so but then my body has just been steadfastly hung up at 278.

It happens and isn't a big deal. But I just don't have the mental toughness for it right now. I'm SO, INCREDIBLY, ANGRY at just everything in life right now because of the pressures of school and work that I've just taken to a kind of RAGE eating the last three days. I stopped at Taco Bell last night and bought a dozen tacos; ate 10 of them just to punish myself for...what, I don't even know...just indulging in being utterly self-destructive so as to maybe validate my anger, I don't know. I'm just so mad. I go through lows and highs like everyone else but right now I'm absolutely **** off at the world.

I'm going on spring break next Friday for a week and hope to rejuvenate and get back in touch with myself. My life is good and I have no excuse to harbor this much anger. A week with a beach house and friends will help.
Hope things get better for you man. You have to be in the right frame of mind to do all of this. Sounds like this break you have coming up might be the jumpstart to all of this.

Speaking of food though.. Wife and I are going to Phantom of the Opera tomorrow night and we are going to Emporio before hand and I plan on eating all the foods several times over. lol.

Viva la Ben

Health and Fitness

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:53 am

I got my first blood work done in a loooong time in the fall...my doctor wants me to get my triglycerides down. Part of why I ramped up the healthy intake.
My appoint with my doctor was a follow up from an emergency room visit when jackng up my back. I didn’t fast before the blood test.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:56 am

Hope things get better for you man. You have to be in the right frame of mind to do all of this. Sounds like this break you have coming up might be the jumpstart to all of this.
Thanks. Like I said, life isn't bad by any stretch. Just hugely frustrated with some things. You're absolutely right. I posted what I did so it would inform the notion that I generally have a hard time losing weight during times like this and I think by trying to do so added another layer to it. I'm going to go eat fresh sushi and run on the beach for a week, lets see what that does for me.

MR25

Health and Fitness

Postby MR25 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:32 am

I seem to be plateauing around the 190lb mark. I want to put more muscle on, but an 18lb gain in two years? I'll take it.

bhflyhigh

Health and Fitness

Postby bhflyhigh » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:35 pm

Yes. This is me. Emotional eating. I diet for a few days and then I get upset about something. Then I just eat and eat. Then I'm like, ****, what have I done! And then there's still a Klondike in the freezer, and even though I already had one, I eat it anyways just to really screw my diet over.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:40 pm

Thanks. Like I said, life isn't bad by any stretch. Just hugely frustrated with some things.
I know I'm a broken record on this topic, but have you considered finding a good therapist? Preferably one in a contemporary situation as yours?

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:00 pm

I never really understood this concept fully until recently...

I'm not sure if it's my age or that my eating habits (which are, as most know, just fruits and vegetables for breakfast and lunch) have changed...but I found myself doing this a couple of times, coinciding with unhappiness with my work life...

The other day, I grabbed dinner...a big bowl of salmon, mashed potatoes, quinoa and broccoli...good sized bowl of it...crushed that. Then proceeded to eat like an entire box of those Annie's little chocolate bunny snacks...and then I crushed something else too, like a thing of cookies, and then found myself going back for more and instead poured a glass of tequila because I can drink away hunger...but it was legit six metric tons of food...

Regardless, I hope your down under frown turns upside down...you seem like you're on a pretty sweet track in life, so hopefully you just need a little de-compress time over spring break and then you're back to the same dodint that we've all come to know and.......tolerate anonymously...

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:43 pm

Thanks. Like I said, life isn't bad by any stretch. Just hugely frustrated with some things.
I know I'm a broken record on this topic, but have you considered finding a good therapist? Preferably one in a contemporary situation as yours?
Yeah. I came really close during fall semester. That was such a dark time for me personally, worse so than when we buried my MIL last spring. It was like everything that was bottled up just distilled down to loathing. This spring is different; it's a response to pressure rather than the feeling of being fundamentally broken. I'm not sure therapy can do much for that other than letting me just air it out. I did sit down and map out the rest of my graduation requirements and it looks like I will get to graduate early, so at Christmas this year. That helped me a lot yesterday. I fully support the idea of therapy and don't mind the suggestion.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:05 pm

those of you that have given up fast food, what do you do when you're out and about and need something quick?

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:17 pm

mikey just reaches into his burlap sack...

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:17 pm

Drink tequila.

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:51 pm

those of you that have given up fast food, what do you do when you're out and about and need something quick?
I go to a local Mexican restaurant and order the equivalent of the lunch chicken fajitas, no tortillas and no chips. Correct portion size, and not horrendous for you.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:13 pm

It's kind of fast food still but I'd hit up Wendy's...dollar menu chicken sandwich and a cup of chili. If I wanted a burger I'd get a classic single and a small fries still doable calorie wise easily.

Big mozz burger at Sheetz is like 600ish calories and filling to me. I get one of those every Friday for lunch.