Health and Fitness

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:19 pm

Nice, glad you enjoyed it.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:03 am

Did a 30 minute 80s rock ride that was annoyingly awesome. I’ve basically spent a year sparingly using my ghetto rig because blindly peddling into oblivion is not particularly fun or enjoyable. Following along with an instructor immediately improved everything about the experience. I see why the Peloton cult exists. Needing to spitball resistance levels was a bit annoying but I’ll make do to save myself from the bike expenditure (for the time being).
I used to ride to hockey games. I'd ride for a period, usually 40ish minutes and do things like up the cadence during power plays, up the resistance during penalty kills and I thought I was getting a good workout. then last January I started using Peloton. I'd come off even just a 20 minute ride drenched in sweat. I'm getting a much better workout by following instructors and if I can't reach their callouts I just do what I can.
I used Apple Fitness+ last year too but I found their classes a bit canned plus their music choices weren't as good. at one point it was 3 times as much R&B/HipHop to Rock.

give up your leaderboard name and I'll follow you.
mine is Loki_is_a_Kat

FYI Strombone1 is Roberto Luongo :lol:

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:20 am

Just finished stumbling into and out of the wonderful world of metal rides with Kendall. I’m in love. Also dead.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:20 am

That'll do it.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:37 am

Just finished stumbling into and out of the wonderful world of metal rides with Kendall. I’m in love. Also dead.
that's how she suckers lures you in.....

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:40 am

A bit off-topic but the 'Pedelton' episode of Family Guy this week was pretty funny, particularly the shots at Cody. :lol:

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:29 pm

Did she let her hair down? I like that part.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:32 pm

Wait so I can ride to that chick above while listening to metal music? That just might convince me to finally put down $1500 on a peloton.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:34 pm

The digital app subscription that shoeshine boy uses is only $12/mo, I think.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:06 pm

That’s what I do as well. Built a ghetto rig for probably about $400. Only part that is lacking is not having the exact resistance, but I just turn the knob until it gets hard for me to keep up at the stated cadence.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:19 pm

Did a 30 minute 80s rock ride that was annoyingly awesome. I’ve basically spent a year sparingly using my ghetto rig because blindly peddling into oblivion is not particularly fun or enjoyable. Following along with an instructor immediately improved everything about the experience. I see why the Peloton cult exists. Needing to spitball resistance levels was a bit annoying but I’ll make do to save myself from the bike expenditure (for the time being).
I used to ride to hockey games. I'd ride for a period, usually 40ish minutes and do things like up the cadence during power plays, up the resistance during penalty kills and I thought I was getting a good workout. then last January I started using Peloton. I'd come off even just a 20 minute ride drenched in sweat. I'm getting a much better workout by following instructors and if I can't reach their callouts I just do what I can.
I used Apple Fitness+ last year too but I found their classes a bit canned plus their music choices weren't as good. at one point it was 3 times as much R&B/HipHop to Rock.

give up your leaderboard name and I'll follow you.
mine is Loki_is_a_Kat

FYI Strombone1 is Roberto Luongo :lol:
How does the leaderboard stuff work if you don’t have a Peloton?

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:28 pm

How does the leaderboard stuff work if you don’t have a Peloton?
the in-class leaderboard where you can pass people is only for people actually on Peloton equipment. for the app, you can see people that are on there, you can give anyone a "high five" and you can also see milestones but you can't compete or "pass" anyone. here's the weird part: app users can see everyone. Peloton owners can't see app users until we high five them. instructors can see everyone. I've been high fived by instructors before. :fist:

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:38 pm

Hey, shoeshine boy, save some minutes for the rest of us, would you?

;)

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:15 pm

Hey, shoeshine boy, save some minutes for the rest of us, would you?

;)
LOL! hey, I had to take a 4 day break while I was working 12 hour overnight shifts for Snow and Ice duty. get you a$$ off the couch! ;)

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:16 pm

besides, I just crossed over into ONEderland. there's no stopping me now! :fist:

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:34 pm

I'm still trying to get to 100 rides by Feb 22nd. (Century ride in my first year.) Doing my 75th today. Right now I need to do a ride every 1.3 days to keep pace. It's gotten easier now that I've shaken COVID but it's going to take some work.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:23 am

@dodint Sorry to drop in on you over the weekend :lol:, I need to take the FTP test today... I assume after that, the power bar will appear when I go into a PZ class? I was kinda winging it.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:32 am

What other type of rides do you cult members enjoy or recommend? I found an immediate groove with the small collection of metal rides and haven’t ventured elsewhere.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:50 am

What other type of rides do you cult members enjoy or recommend? I found an immediate groove with the small collection of metal rides and haven’t ventured elsewhere.
I'm a big fan of the Power Zone rides. other than that, I just browse through classes, typically looking for music that I like. I also tend to like the instructors that are more chill and on the older side. Christine D'Ercole is my favorite because she's close to my age (she's 50) and plays a lot of New Wave music which is 100% my jam. I also like Sam Yo, Denis Morton, Emma Lovewell and Jenn Sherman. I find most of the cycling instructors fine and really the only one I don't like at all is Alex Toussaint. I feel like he yells too much. :scared:
if you want a serious challenge I recommend Tabata rides. those things are no joke! they're basically interval rides that are 2:1 (20 seconds on, 10 seconds off)
for Strength workouts the only instructor I don't care for is Kristin McGee. imo she goes too fast and doesn't give you modifications until you've been struggling with the move for 30 seconds. :roll:

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:54 am

I need to take the FTP test today... I assume after that, the power bar will appear when I go into a PZ class? I was kinda winging it.
make sure and do the 10 minute FTP warmup so that you can go straight into the FTP test at the right spot. I also recommend having a bucket nearby. I came damn close to puking around the 12 minute mark but I was able to hold on.
I really need to re-test because my zones are now too low. I did a PZ endurance ride last night and it was really hard to maintain these low zones:

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:58 am

@dodint Sorry to drop in on you over the weekend :lol:, I need to take the FTP test today... I assume after that, the power bar will appear when I go into a PZ class? I was kinda winging it.
Yeah, FTP test will activate your power bars. Makes every class easier, to me.

I was going to send you a note about that class. I felt bad that you followed me into it. I was in the middle of a 10 day streak and was on a recovery day. That class, aside from the good music, is pretty boring. Especially if you don't know your zones. PZ Endurance classes stay in Zones 2 and 3 the whole time.

If you need a recovery day these are the classes to take, easiest to hardest:
Recovery Ride - Just gets your legs moving, almost no resistence.
Low Impact - A real ride, but easy on joints because you never leave the saddle.
PZ Endurance - You will sweat, but no high cadence or out of the saddle work.

I recommend stacking the PZ Test warmup with the PZ Test. I think the warm-up is 10 minutes and the test is 20 minutes. The test is high effort the whole time so the warm up will get you loose and explain the process. I usually do Olivia's warm up stacked with Matt's test. I am overdue for a greatest and plan to do a new one on Saturday.

I'll get my 10 day badge today and then take a day off, my legs need it. :lol:

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:28 am

It depends on what my goal for the session is.

If I'm actively trying to PR then I'll usually do a HITT and Hills or Tabata ride. They have short warm-ups and keep the resistance up for a lot of the ride.
If I want to just kill myself that day but not necessarily PR, then I'll do a Power Zone Max ride.
Challenging but not likely to PR (but can if I try) are the music theme rides. The breaks/resets in these are too long for me to PR anymore.
High work maintenance day will be the standard Power Zone rides (focus on PZ 3-6) or a longer PZ Endurance Ride. You can't PR in these because your zones are dictated by the instructor and the warm-ups are almost half the class.
I mentioned the recovery/low impact stuff in my prior post, I'll do those the day after a full effort. I mentioned that I'm on the last day of a 10-day streak; during that time I set new PRs for my 30-minute ride twice so I wasn't slacking off, but the days after the hard efforts I would mix in something slow.
Also, don't forget the Scenic rides in the 'More' menu. Some of the guided rides, like Matt's in Hawaii, are fantastic. Then there are a bunch of lower resolution older rides that are good but there is no instructor so it's just you. I do one or two of these a month to break the monotony.

I'm picky about instructors. Most of my rides are with Leanne, Olivia, or Matt. I'd say 85% of my rides are with them, with a few Jenn (great sardonic attitude, not the rah-rah type, lol), Kendall, and Christine.

It's helpful to know that you can sort the classes by 'Hardest' to get an idea of their relative difficulty. You guys that started with the metal rides are nutty.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:28 am

That's awesome stuff, thanks! Yeah, I am admittedly pretty damn nervous for it, lol.

When you say it was hard to maintain those low zones, do you mean like you wanted to step it up, or it has gotten too difficult?

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:29 am

Ah, nice didn't see the posts on this page. Yeah, definitely going to do the warmup first.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:31 am

I guess PRs mean nothing to me and my home built ghetto rig