Health and Fitness

Miami Vice

Health and Fitness

Postby Miami Vice » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:55 am

I've been pretty active in one way or another for a long while, but after hitting 30 something seemed to happen that rounded out my mid-section. Even though I've kept jogging pretty steadily for the last few years its looking more like my diet and exercise plan needs a fine tuning.

I decided to give Phil Goglia's book Turn up the Heat a try. He's the nutritionist who turned the guy on the left into the guy on the right:

The main thesis of the book is that different people digest/metabolize various foods differently. Like the Inuit people ate almost exclusively animal proteins and fats, but they didnt have high cholesterol because their bodies evolved to handle that.

The three categories are people who should eat more protein and fat (~75%), those who should eat a larger amount of carbs (~20%) and then the smallest group is people who need a very balanced diet of fats, proteins, and carbs equally.

So based on my various cholesterol levels from blood work I had done, as well as family history, I fit into the rarest of his three categories. As a result I'm forcing myself to eat fish, cutting out sugar and yeast based foods for a while, and upping my vegetables.

I also started doing T25 to supplement running. And as for running, I got a backpack I could run with. So I run to work once or twice a week, and run at lunch time other days. Theres a shower in my office for people who bike to work, so I got access to that. A run at 1:30 makes the rest of the day fly by.

malkintent

Health and Fitness

Postby malkintent » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:58 am

he turned dx chopping bro into a selfie taking bro?

which would you rather be?

#<3ChrisPratt

but seriously, ive been using the D.E.N.N.I.S. system lately and its paying incredible returns on my investment.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:03 am

For a second I thought Canaan started this thread and hit really, really confused :pop:

malkintent

Health and Fitness

Postby malkintent » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:14 am

For a second I thought Canaan started this thread and hit really, really confused :pop:
hit really

blackjack68

Health and Fitness

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:25 am

7 years ago, I lost a bunch of weight (~75 pounds). Kept it off for about two years, but then slowly got out of the good habits of eating right and exercising and have gained just about all of it back.

After Easter, I will be climbing back on the horse and start losing again. At 47, it's going to be much harder than it was a 40, but I have kids and need to get healthy so I see them get married and have kids of their own.

Last time, I mostly lowered calories to about 1,800 per day and did light weights with lots of cardio (treadmill and swimming).

I know if I can get started and go steadily for two weeks, I will be back in the habit. Right now, I'm a little bigger than "DX chopping bro" above and I realize I will never be selfie bro above, but somewhere in between will be better than where I am now.

PFiDC

Health and Fitness

Postby PFiDC » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:53 am

BP was super high on Saturday. Also that day, as my son was getting out of the car he noticed an empty pack of cigarettes that ended up on the floor of the back seat. Now, he's never seen me smoke before but I am sure he has seen me holding a pack. He picks it up and says "Here daddy! You forgot this!" I've been eating better (not perfect) and exercising every day since then and I'm back on my BP meds. I feel much better already. I can't get the image of him holding that empty pack for me out of my head and I can't stop hearing his innocent voice telling me I forgot them.

...He also told me that same day that I have boobs. That may have been the biggest contributor in "getting back on the horse". Hopefully it goes well.

Robot B9

Health and Fitness

Postby Robot B9 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:03 am

he turned dx chopping bro into a selfie taking bro?

which would you rather be?

#<3ChrisPratt

but seriously, ive been using the D.E.N.N.I.S. system lately and its paying incredible returns on my investment.
Outstanding.

tifosi77

Health and Fitness

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:52 pm

Cardio is for rubes.

There, I said it.

blackjack68

Health and Fitness

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:53 pm

Worked for me...while I did it.

Kraftster

Health and Fitness

Postby Kraftster » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:18 pm

I've got to get back to eating better as well. I lost about 30 pounds a couple years ago and have put about 12 of it back on. I know it's to the point where I need to reverse course here because I am finding it pretty difficult to feel full these days. Thankfully, the better weather will make running more appealing.

shmenguin

Health and Fitness

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:49 pm

have you guys who are trying to lose weight ever had a long stretch of removing gluten, dairy and refined sugar from your diet?

i was never really overweight, but it was interesting to see what happened when i changed my diet last year. those difficult last few extra pounds around the midsection really started dropping.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Health and Fitness

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:50 pm

Cardio is for rubes.

There, I said it.
inb4 dodint rage

IanMoran

Health and Fitness

Postby IanMoran » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:08 pm

I really packed on weight in college / then lost it all / slowly gained it all back. Before I lost it just on diet, but now I'm going to try to get in better shape overall / hopefully maintain it for the long-term.

I started doing Wendler's 531 beginner routine. I always messed around the gym, but didn't know what I was doing / quit after a couple day. I love this routine because it makes everything so simple (I just go in and do what the program tells me to do). I've mostly done the program to a t (besides I'm skipping deload week since such a begginer).

Program focuses on 4 main core lifts. I'm 9 weeks in and have improved:

Squats by 60 pounds
Overhead press by 30 pounds
Deadlifts by 60 pounds
Bench (I test myself every 3 weeks, will find out where I am on Sunday w bench but I improved it by 40 lbs in first 6 weeks).

Trying to clean up diet too, but cheating a lot. Still have somehow managed to lose 12 lbs thus far (probably like 50 more to go).

Still a fat, weak, out-of-shape slob but I'm happy with early results (even though I know they'll slow eventually). I also actually like working out now which is probably the most important aspect for long term success.

Wow, this is my first post on here... Man does it sound like an advertisement

Kraftster

Health and Fitness

Postby Kraftster » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:13 pm

have you guys who are trying to lose weight ever had a long stretch of removing gluten, dairy and refined sugar from your diet?

i was never really overweight, but it was interesting to see what happened when i changed my diet last year. those difficult last few extra pounds around the midsection really started dropping.
Yeah, I lost weight fast both times I went on stretches of removing dairy and refined sugar (and more or less gluten). I assumed the gluten part has more to do with getting rid of those carbs.

When I've corrected myself for small stretches recently, it usually consists of eliminating refined sugar and the majority of carbs. Weight drops fast when I do that.

tifosi77

Health and Fitness

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:14 pm

I straight up quit working out about two months ago. Absolutely lost 100% of the motivation to kick my own butt. I'm feeling it lately, and I don't know what I need to do to find the desire to be healthy.

Seriously, it's like I turned off a switch or something.

PFiDC

Health and Fitness

Postby PFiDC » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:18 pm

I straight up quit working out about two months ago. Absolutely lost 100% of the motivation to kick my own butt. I'm feeling it lately, and I don't know what I need to do to find the desire to be healthy.

Seriously, it's like I turned off a switch or something.
You and the Penguins

shmenguin

Health and Fitness

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:19 pm

paleo gets a bad rap, but if you can bring yourself to do this, you are definitely going to shed pounds.

http://aiplifestyle.com/what-is-autoimm ... ocol-diet/

my wife and i went auto-immune paleo for a brief stretch. it helped her AI issues greatly, but man...that is a tough freaking diet.

now we're just on an almost-but-not-quite-paleo diet. we eat rice and i drink a beer sometimes. i think those are our only departures.

tifosi77

Health and Fitness

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:27 pm

Wait, rice is non-paleo?

shmenguin

Health and Fitness

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:32 pm

Wait, rice is non-paleo?
hmm...i think so. it's a grain. grains are a no-no.

but i'm not that well versed, tbh. plus there seems to be some wiggle room as far as what is and isn't.

Kraftster

Health and Fitness

Postby Kraftster » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:33 pm

I did the whole 30 for a couple weeks. I can usually hope on strict whole 30 for a week and lose 5-7 pounds.

I hear mixed things on whether rice is paleo/non-paleo. It is definitely not permitted on the Whole 30. The lack of rice and quinoa (since it's technically a seed and not a grain) on the Whole 30 bother me.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Health and Fitness

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:33 pm

I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 but I hit an absolute wall on the overhead press when I got to 130 pounds. Couldn't do more than 2 sets.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Health and Fitness

Postby meow » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Wait, rice is non-paleo?
hmm...i think so. it's a grain. grains are a no-no.

but i'm not that well versed, tbh. plus there seems to be some wiggle room as far as what is and isn't.
Correct. You cannot have rice in a strict paleo diet.

shmenguin

Health and Fitness

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:35 pm

I did the whole 30 for a couple weeks. I can usually hope on strict whole 30 for a week and lose 5-7 pounds.

I hear mixed things on whether rice is paleo/non-paleo. It is definitely not permitted on the Whole 30. The lack of rice and quinoa (since it's technically a seed and not a grain) on the Whole 30 bother me.
yeah, a man can only eat so many potatoes in a week.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:36 pm

I really packed on weight in college / then lost it all / slowly gained it all back. Before I lost it just on diet, but now I'm going to try to get in better shape overall / hopefully maintain it for the long-term.

I started doing Wendler's 531 beginner routine. I always messed around the gym, but didn't know what I was doing / quit after a couple day. I love this routine because it makes everything so simple (I just go in and do what the program tells me to do). I've mostly done the program to a t (besides I'm skipping deload week since such a begginer).

Program focuses on 4 main core lifts. I'm 9 weeks in and have improved:

Squats by 60 pounds
Overhead press by 30 pounds
Deadlifts by 60 pounds
Bench (I test myself every 3 weeks, will find out where I am on Sunday w bench but I improved it by 40 lbs in first 6 weeks).

Trying to clean up diet too, but cheating a lot. Still have somehow managed to lose 12 lbs thus far (probably like 50 more to go).

Still a fat, weak, out-of-shape slob but I'm happy with early results (even though I know they'll slow eventually). I also actually like working out now which is probably the most important aspect for long term success.

Wow, this is my first post on here... Man does it sound like an advertisement
Every variation of Wendler's 531 programs are awesome. He did an excellent job of creating a simple, easy to follow program.

Kraftster

Health and Fitness

Postby Kraftster » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:46 pm

yeah, a man can only eat so many potatoes in a week.
Yes. Especially when legumes are out too.