Health and Fitness

llipgh2

Health and Fitness

Postby llipgh2 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:39 pm

I kind of do too, thats why i invested in zero drop athletic shoes. I try to workout at home and go barefoot anyway. I try to be barefoot or in socks as much as possible and the rest of the time have "like barefoot" shoes on.
My walking shoes are zero drop. Altra. Love them, so comfortable and I don't have to wear socks.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:52 pm

My job published a policy saying we can take 3hrs a week to go do fitness stuff while on the clock. It's really great because since it's work time I'm compelled to go, I can't just say screw it and go home. Started lifting two days a week, and I run the third day and then do cardio again on the weekend. Just something to jump start myself back into the routine. Feels good to lift again, haven't done it since 2011.

grunthy

Health and Fitness

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:04 pm

My job published a policy saying we can take 3hrs a week to go do fitness stuff while on the clock. It's really great because since it's work time I'm compelled to go, I can't just say screw it and go home. Started lifting two days a week, and I run the third day and then do cardio again on the weekend. Just something to jump start myself back into the routine. Feels good to lift again, haven't done it since 2011.
The government has had this policy for a while. What took you so long to notice... :pop: :slug:

Algernon

Health and Fitness

Postby Algernon » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:29 pm

Been on no carb/keto for the last 11 days

Going to carb up huuuugggeeee this weekend and hoopefully smash some prs

I'm really going to miss being this dry tho

Craig

Health and Fitness

Postby Craig » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:37 pm

I am finally fully back into the mode where I feel like crap when I don't work out.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:06 am

Source of the post The government has had this policy for a while. What took you so long to notice...
Well, when I was a Marine, it was mandatory. :mrgreen:

When I signed on here as a GS the policy was for one 6 month block only. There were rumblings that a new policy was coming down the pipe and I was waiting to see what was involved in that one. The current one allows for an indefinite duration so I signed up and am riding it until they come to their senses. ;)

It's great, I'm not doing anything crazy on it, just feels good to lift again and now that I've been going for a month I'm starting to get the weight up which is always fun.

tifosi77

Health and Fitness

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:52 pm

Getting back in the habit of working out. Two weeks in, down six pounds and 3% body fat. The overwhelming negative is that I am also paying attention to what I eat, and that's comprehensively un-fun.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:06 pm

Yeah, but now that you're getting fit you're probably sleeping much better.

Oh, wait.

tifosi77

Health and Fitness

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:58 pm

shmenguin

Health and Fitness

Postby shmenguin » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:29 am

i've been having serious problems with pelvic pain for almost a year. been to a few types of doctors, which ultimately led me to a "physiatrist"...because that's a kind of doctor apparently.

anyways...nothing shows up on any scans so he says go to a physical therapist. fine. i'm game. but i've also been taking tramadol (which is a low-grade opiate) to get me through the day. it's been working wonders. takes the pain away and doesn't get me stoned. but this person tells me to stop taking it, and his only reason why is because it's an opiate. what the hell is this crap? my conclusion is that either he doesn't believe me, or he thinks i'm taking these drugs to get high. but what kind of doctor tells someone to stop taking a medication that is presenting no side effects, is very effective and doesn't interfere with his proposed treatment?

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:43 am

anybody have any good planar fasciitis tips? Been dealing with it for almost two months and have tried everything. Tennis ball under the foot, ice, tape, stretches. You name it, I've probably tried it.

I know I've been getting impatient and have been trying to run on it, which gets me all of a mile or so before it gets painful again.

Craig

Health and Fitness

Postby Craig » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:04 pm

I would imagine not run ing on it would be a good tip. Beyond that i have no idea.

tifosi77

Health and Fitness

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:51 pm

Get those elastic foot straps that go around your arch/instep. They can't really reverse the condition, but they do relieve the pain somewhat.

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:49 pm

We're probably talking about the same thing, but I have a small sleeve that goes around my sock that does a decent job relieving the pain. I can walk on it fine. When we were helping move to our new building last week, I racked up about 8 miles and the pain in my foot wasn't that bad at all, maybe a 2 on the 1 to 10 scale.

My issue is that I really can't run on it. Since the pain started in late May, I've noticed I've put on at least 5-10 lbs. and noticed a picture from this past weekend where it's quite obvious. I have a wedding in two months (not mine) and would prefer to try to get in somewhat decent shape for it.

tifosi77

Health and Fitness

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:55 pm

This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055O ... ge_o05_s00
You can also get compression foot sleeves that are more like half socks that work well.

tifosi77

Health and Fitness

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:58 pm

Great...... and now my Amazon home page is full of feet.

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:58 pm

Yeah, mine is more of the compression foot sleeve. I may give that strap-looking thing a shot since it looks more isolated.

Algernon

Health and Fitness

Postby Algernon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:41 pm

If you had to guess, who is the stronger man in this picture?

Algernon

Health and Fitness

Postby Algernon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:43 pm

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:57 am

your next step might be to see a podiatrist. I've been having achilles pain for awhile and they were able to help me quite a bit using some kind of laser treatment. they also gave me a brace made by a company called BioSkin that helps when I'm doing an extensive amount of walking.
the other thing that's helped me is seeing a massage therapist every few weeks and having him work on it for 30 minutes. I'm not pain-free yet but it's diminished by probably 80%.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:31 pm

My PF is so significant that I actually have a service connected disability rating for it. The only thing that has worked for me to reverse the pain is seeing a podiatrist and having custom insoles made. I have a pair for running and a pair for work shoes. As long as I wear them I don't have pain. It's improved my quality of life greatly.

tifosi77

Health and Fitness

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:00 pm

Wow, if it's that bad have tried other therapies, like acupuncture?

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:37 pm

No.

I'm hoping when I get my weight down to a comfortable place I can wean off of the insoles.

Algernon

Health and Fitness

Postby Algernon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:59 am

i've been having serious problems with pelvic pain for almost a year. been to a few types of doctors, which ultimately led me to a "physiatrist"...because that's a kind of doctor apparently.

anyways...nothing shows up on any scans so he says go to a physical therapist. fine. i'm game. but i've also been taking tramadol (which is a low-grade opiate) to get me through the day. it's been working wonders. takes the pain away and doesn't get me stoned. but this person tells me to stop taking it, and his only reason why is because it's an opiate. what the hell is this crap? my conclusion is that either he doesn't believe me, or he thinks i'm taking these drugs to get high. but what kind of doctor tells someone to stop taking a medication that is presenting no side effects, is very effective and doesn't interfere with his proposed treatment?
Opiates are pretty well known to impair healing.

This is a pretty **** source but it's the best I could do without investing time that I don't think should be necessary in convincing you

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/tramadol/impaired+healing

People with spinal injuries are encouraged to not use pain killers or muscle relaxers unless unbearable pain

Algernon

Health and Fitness

Postby Algernon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:01 am

@shmenguin

I'm not a doctor but I'd appreciate it if you'd humor me

when do you experience pain/comfort and where do you feel it