Health and Fitness

Craig

Health and Fitness

Postby Craig » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:31 pm

Since i have stopped going to the gym, my exercise consists of walking my dog a few miles a day and walking up the stairs 20 floors in the morning during my break and a t lunch.

IanMoran

Health and Fitness

Postby IanMoran » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:06 pm

paleo gets a bad rap, but if you can bring yourself to do this, you are definitely going to shed pounds.

http://aiplifestyle.com/what-is-autoimm ... ocol-diet/

my wife and i went auto-immune paleo for a brief stretch. it helped her AI issues greatly, but man...that is a tough freaking diet.

now we're just on an almost-but-not-quite-paleo diet. we eat rice and i drink a beer sometimes. i think those are our only departures.
Paleo is great, but hard to make it cheap without relying on almost all eggs / chicken. Reason why I stopped it (limited budget)

IanMoran

Health and Fitness

Postby IanMoran » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:07 pm

I really packed on weight in college / then lost it all / slowly gained it all back. Before I lost it just on diet, but now I'm going to try to get in better shape overall / hopefully maintain it for the long-term.

I started doing Wendler's 531 beginner routine. I always messed around the gym, but didn't know what I was doing / quit after a couple day. I love this routine because it makes everything so simple (I just go in and do what the program tells me to do). I've mostly done the program to a t (besides I'm skipping deload week since such a begginer).

Program focuses on 4 main core lifts. I'm 9 weeks in and have improved:

Squats by 60 pounds
Overhead press by 30 pounds
Deadlifts by 60 pounds
Bench (I test myself every 3 weeks, will find out where I am on Sunday w bench but I improved it by 40 lbs in first 6 weeks).

Trying to clean up diet too, but cheating a lot. Still have somehow managed to lose 12 lbs thus far (probably like 50 more to go).

Still a fat, weak, out-of-shape slob but I'm happy with early results (even though I know they'll slow eventually). I also actually like working out now which is probably the most important aspect for long term success.

Wow, this is my first post on here... Man does it sound like an advertisement
Every variation of Wendler's 531 programs are awesome. He did an excellent job of creating a simple, easy to follow program.
Yea. I'm loving it. This variation allows for a little quicker progression (since I'm a gym newbie).
Last edited by IanMoran on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IanMoran

Health and Fitness

Postby IanMoran » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:11 pm

I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 but I hit an absolute wall on the overhead press when I got to 130 pounds. Couldn't do more than 2 sets.
I'm no expert, and don't know all the details of stronglifts 5 X 5, but did you try to decrease the weight? Going down to 115 and then working your way back up might do wonders.

Robot B9

Health and Fitness

Postby Robot B9 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:21 pm

I trained like nutz for a couple months leading up to a tae kwon do tourney at the end of Feb, then took a three week vacation of face-stuffing madness. Got back into the diet this week. I typically do one day of upper body with abs and cardio, one day of legs with abs and cardio, a couple tkd classes a week, a rest day or two, go for about 4-6 weeks, then switch up the weight routines. I try to keep the weights to 35-40 minutes, then hiit with walking/light jog for cardio.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:29 pm

I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 but I hit an absolute wall on the overhead press when I got to 130 pounds. Couldn't do more than 2 sets.
I'm no expert, and don't know all the details of stronglifts 5 X 5, but did you try to decrease the weight? Going down to 115 and then working your way back up might do wonders.
You are correct. http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:59 pm

Cardio is for rubes.

There, I said it.

Unrelated, but I'm 23lbs down since Feb 22nd. It's happening.

Robot B9

Health and Fitness

Postby Robot B9 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:35 pm

have you guys who are trying to lose weight ever had a long stretch of removing gluten, dairy and refined sugar from your diet?

i was never really overweight, but it was interesting to see what happened when i changed my diet last year. those difficult last few extra pounds around the midsection really started dropping.
I did the Blood Type diet (I'm an O, so cutting out gluten was good) and lost 45 pounds over about 5 months or so without really exercising. It's more of a health/immune system approach, but weight loss was a benefit because i also had pounds to spare. Got to the point where I was eating very sensibly-sized meals and took off those last extra pounds.

Craig

Health and Fitness

Postby Craig » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:01 pm

I was always at worst on the lower half of a healthy range, but i recently stopped having bread at lunch. I eat the same sandwiches, just wrapped in lettuce instead of on bread. I did this to avoid crashing in the afternoon and that worked, but just that one meal a day removing bread and fat has melted off.

IanMoran

Health and Fitness

Postby IanMoran » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:05 pm

Cardio is for rubes.

There, I said it.

Congrats man. That's awesome

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:06 pm

I eat whatever I want and stop at 1800 cal a day and I've been losing at a steady clip. I enjoy carbs (I eat a sandwich on a bun for lunch most days) because they're filling.

Now, as I grocery shop I buy stuff that is healthy so I'm getting a better use out of my 1800 calories and over time I'll be healthier for it. But for weight loss that 1800 number is most important to me. It's obvious stuff but The Hackers Diet has been the foundation for every serious weightloss effort in my adult life and it has always worked. And, it's not trying to sell you something. That said, the failure to change my lifestyle has led me to regaining the weight each time but that's on me, not the diet.

IanMoran

Health and Fitness

Postby IanMoran » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:06 pm

I was always at worst on the lower half of a healthy range, but i recently stopped having bread at lunch. I eat the same sandwiches, just wrapped in lettuce instead of on bread. I did this to avoid crashing in the afternoon and that worked, but just that one meal a day removing bread and fat has melted off.
I wish I liked lettuce wrap... I'm like a 9 year old when it comes to sandwiches lettuce wrapped

tifosi77

Health and Fitness

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:09 pm

I've had individual dishes that were more than 1,800 calories.

Craig

Health and Fitness

Postby Craig » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:09 pm

Is the lettuce the problem? Do you just like bread? Lettuce is obviously bland so i use peppered turkey and jalapeno cheese to give plenty of flavor.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:22 pm

I've had individual dishes that were more than 1,800 calories.
You're salty about that chef comment on FB. Aren't you?

tifosi77

Health and Fitness

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Chef Jacques Lemerde is genuinely funny.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:45 pm

No doubt.

But the best thing in the world? If the best thing in the world is a Twitter feed I'm going to be very disappointed because I haven't seen everything yet and that is quite the letdown.

tifosi77

Health and Fitness

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:50 pm

1) It's an Instagram account, not Twitter (reading comprehension level: pre-skool)

2) He has only posted twenty photos to date, so perhaps I was a skosh hasty with the 'best thing in the world' bit.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:52 pm

What's Instagram? Never seen it.
Cardio is for rubes.

There, I said it.

Congrats man. That's awesome
Thanks. That's one of my top shelf gifs, I save for for these really smh moments.

Penguin4784

Health and Fitness

Postby Penguin4784 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:58 pm

I'm a womens USAV volleyball player and play about 4-5 times a week with all day tournaments on the weekend. That alone has not enough - I'm now having to start incorporating strength training to build more muscle and burn more fat. It was way easier when I was younger. :oops:

Robot B9

Health and Fitness

Postby Robot B9 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:30 pm

I'm a womens USAV volleyball player and play about 4-5 times a week with all day tournaments on the weekend. That alone has not enough - I'm now having to start incorporating strength training to build more muscle and burn more fat. It was way easier when I was younger. :oops:
Very cool, Penguin. I was a vballer in those circles back in the day around Pittsburgh and before that, central PA, and miss it terribly. Doubt I'll get back into league play with my schedule, so I'm looking into doing more with my daughter and her school team.

Penguin4784

Health and Fitness

Postby Penguin4784 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Very cool, Penguin. I was a vballer in those circles back in the day around Pittsburgh and before that, central PA, and miss it terribly. Doubt I'll get back into league play with my schedule, so I'm looking into doing more with my daughter and her school team.
I play in the DC area and its huge around here. I was thinking of moving to PA but couldn't really find much league action online. Are you still connected with those circles? I'm in PA sometimes on the weekends, so it'd be great to find somewhere to play on Saturdays.

AuthorTony

Health and Fitness

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:39 pm

You guys really should lose weight before getting on those poor horses.

/onlykiddingi'mafatso

Robot B9

Health and Fitness

Postby Robot B9 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:40 pm

I play in the DC area and its huge around here. I was thinking of moving to PA but couldn't really find much league action online. Are you still connected with those circles? I'm in PA sometimes on the weekends, so it'd be great to find somewhere to play on Saturdays.
I'm not connected these days, and it depends on where in PA you'd be looking to go for me to point you in the right direction. Anywhere in the central area - Harrisburg, Lancaster, Hershey, etc. - pretty good; Philly area, and even Pittsburgh, not so much.

I played a few tourneys in DC in the 90's at American and GW. Great times.

Clams Herbert

Health and Fitness

Postby Clams Herbert » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:42 am

Just a tip from personal experience: if you're pretty overweight and trying to lose, avoid the treadmill. Quick way to really mess your knees up because of the weight constantly coming down on them. I lost all my weight slugging on the arc trainer. But if I could go back I'd definitely do high intensity interval training to get in shape.