Health and Fitness

bhflyhigh

Health and Fitness

Postby bhflyhigh » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Dang, you guys are really motivating. Maybe after Christmas this year I can finally try and change my eating habits. Good job. Keep at it.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Great news! Congrats man. Getting thin and looking at the changes in the mirror (especially in the face) is so satisfying.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:25 pm

dropped 12 lbs in the last three weeks and only went to the gym once. Want to know my secret?
Unfortunately it's because I've had a chest cold and have been on a steady diet of soup, DayQuil, and water.

Would not recommend.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:26 pm

Congrats in advance to MR25 and his impending weight loss.

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:06 pm

turns out it was actually bronchitis. Yeah, like that's better news. :lol:

I think I'm on the back end of it now. Still have a bit of a cough that is noticeably less frequent but still rough once it gets on a roll. Doc said that I should be ight after five days of zpacks, steroid, and cough suppressant. I'm on day four, so we'll see how things are after tomorrow.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:28 am

dropped 12 lbs in the last three weeks and only went to the gym once. Want to know my secret?
Unfortunately it's because I've had a chest cold and have been on a steady diet of soup, DayQuil, and water.

Would not recommend.
sadly that method is most successful for me too....

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Yesterday Amazon had the treadmill that I wanted for 899. Went back today, it's now up to 940. $41 isn't a big deal, but the additional two week delay in installing and the extra $89 in secondary warranty that sucks.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:34 am

I have been running way too sporadically, and decided to get out for a run yesterday. Decided to push it for some reason, and did an exact 3.1 miles at about 9:02/mile. Most encouraging, was that my splits went down each lap (9:20, 9:10, 8:55 or so). I hate going outside at first when it's cold, but your body can definitely push a lot more when you aren't sweltering with the summer heat/humidity.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:44 am

I’ve never been a runner, but since I’ve started, I’ve noticed it gets easier the further into the run that I am. That first mile always sucks.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:11 am

Got a garmin vivo watch for Christmas excited to try it out.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Health and Fitness

Postby LITT » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:16 am

anyone have a recommendation for bluetooth headphones?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:34 am

You looking for over the ear or earbud? I'm assuming you want water resistant as well?

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Health and Fitness

Postby LITT » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:36 am

its for my wife for gym/running. she wont be swimming in them but will be working out so i guess sweat resistant. ambivalent to over ear/ear bud.

LITT

Health and Fitness

Postby LITT » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:43 am

You looking for over the ear or earbud? I'm assuming you want water resistant as well?
i found these on amazon https://www.amazon.com/SoundPEATS-Bluet ... headphones

might go with these to see how it works for her

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:45 am

I tried to find the ones I used to use but they were given to me as a gift so I don't have an Amazon receipt for them. They don't seem to make them any more so I guess it's moot anyway.

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:50 am

I use jlab audio's epic 2 currently... not a fan. Had to send the first pair back and they replaced them for free, and while the second pair work just fine, I'm generally unimpressed, especially considering the price I paid for them. I might just grab something cheap instead so I'm not disappointed when they don't work.

BTW, down 30 pounds since mid September as of this morning. Only a few more pounds away from no longer being considered obese, and just merely "overweight".

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:33 am

BTW, down 30 pounds since mid September as of this morning. Only a few more pounds away from no longer being considered obese, and just merely "overweight".
I get that BMI isn't perfect, but it was an absolutely wonderful feeling when I transitioned from "overweight" to "normal". I'm sure it will be a similar sense of accomplishment for you...great job man! Keep it up.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:35 am

:fist: :fist: :thumb:

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:55 am

I get that BMI isn't perfect, but it was an absolutely wonderful feeling when I transitioned from "overweight" to "normal". I'm sure it will be a similar sense of accomplishment for you...great job man! Keep it up.
It isn't, but it's close enough, and just knowing that there's a number to hit to be classified as something else is kind of motivating in and of itself. I was at the doc on Friday, and my blood pressure is down, my resting heartbeat is down, my cholesterol is down, all good things from where I was before I started this. She said she wished that she had some sort of sticker to give me that said "healthiest patient of the week". Told me unless something is wrong, I don't need to go back for another 2-3 years.

:fist: :fist: :thumb:
Thank ya, sir... were there any weird things that you didn't think about with losing weight? An example for me: my wedding ring(s). They don't fit very well anymore. They are lose when I'm inside, and when I'm cold, they fall right off my finger.

AuthorTony

Health and Fitness

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:23 pm

Got on the scale while at the family Christmas get together. F, I am fatter than I've ever been. And I've always been fat so that's saying a lot. I also just turned 40 so I really need to get my ass in gear or I might not make it to 50.

I know CICO is the most important thing, but I need to figure out an exercise routine too. This morning I tried a kettlebell workout I found on Youtube. I should have known it was bad news when the two very fit trainers were huffing. I made it 8 min in to the 20 min workout and was broken, lol.

I'm checking out treadmills now. I know that's probably not a great solution but treadmills seemed to be the only thing I could stay motivated on peviously. Probably because I'd fall off if I half-assed it. I'm thinking 45 min on the treadmill 5 days a week to start off.

Crap, I'm so disappointed in myself for letting it get this bad. 18 months ago I was at my lightest in 15 years and I totally blew it.

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:45 pm

The biggest part of it for me so far is just getting the "calories in" part of the CICO under control. You can't outrun your diet. Shout out to the people here for the MyFitnessPal app to keep track of everything.

Also, I enjoy the treadmill for cardio. It's been my go to through the process. You don't even need 45 minutes. I do 25 minutes and have gotten up to just over 2.5 miles in that time. Lots of calories burned, but don't eat them back. Let 'em burn.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 pm

45 minutes a day 5 days a week is a bit much if you are just starting. I'd cut that in half or so to start and work your way up. You are likely to get discouraged and quit. I've been riding the exercise bike at home since it's been too cold to drag my ass to the gym recently. I do 45-50 minutes a day probably 6 days a week but I didn't start out at that. When I first started 10-15 minutes was a struggle. Work your way up. I really only go to the gym to lift now and I've found a pretty good routine using my own body weight for resistance at home that seems to be working when I'm too lazy to hit the gym.

@count2infinity also speaks the truth.. you can't out run your diet. Get that under control first and foremost. Work in exercise to balance everything out. You should be working out to keep in shape and stay healthy not to lose weight though that is a nice side effect.

The biggest thing with exercise is finding something you like to do. If you hate to work out you will quit. Exercise doesn't have to be boring or routine. Find what you like to do and do it. You are much more likely to stick with it.

AuthorTony

Health and Fitness

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:55 am

Thanks, fellas! What calorie deficit could I be looking at per day to start off? 500 or so? I've always heard the jabber about not cutting back too hard or your metabolism will slow down but I don't if there's any truth to that.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:42 am

Thanks, fellas! What calorie deficit could I be looking at per day to start off? 500 or so? I've always heard the jabber about not cutting back too hard or your metabolism will slow down but I don't if there's any truth to that.
If you enter your fitness goals and current weight into MFP, as well as your general activity level, it will give you a very good idea where to start. Depending on where you're at, I would start with at least a pound per week, perhaps 2.

count2infinity

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:58 am

MFP makes it pretty easy. Plug in your stats and how much you want to lose and then go from there. I currently have mine in at 1 pound a week which is a 500 calorie daily deficit. The reason I have that is because that's my absolute highest I want to be in a day (it's about 2300 calories for my current height and weight). I typically end my day between 1600 and 1800 though, so that plus exercise has me at ~2 pound per week clip.

Starvation mode is a myth. Make sure you're eating enough to get your nutrients and then move on. I think for a man it's recommended to not go below 1600 calories per day. Every so often I end up below that, but I've made the conscious effort to not eat if I'm not hungry, so I don't particularly mind the days I end up 1400 or so. It's largely about balance. If I have 2500 calories one day, I can have 1500 the next, and boom! I'm at a 2000 calorie per day clip.

The first few weeks for me were all about discovery and understanding of my current (at the time) lifestyle. In fact the first week, I changed nothing in my diet just so I could see the answers to these questions: What was I putting in my mouth? How many calories was that? Did I really need all of that or could I have eaten half of it and still been satisfied? Was there a better alternative available? I was really shocked at the calories in things that I thought would be lower calories and vice versa. Once you have a better handle on what you're doing right now, you'll know how to go about changing it.