Health and Fitness

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:49 pm

gah

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:10 am

That feeling when you're almost 40, have your first checkup with your doctor in a while, and you have no clue if someone is going to stick their finger up main street for the first time or not.
I feel you...or should I say, the doctor feels me.

Not.A.Fun.Time this morning. Must have been fun for the dr, as he ordered a colonoscopy/endoscopy for me too.

I need a cigarette/psychologist

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:00 pm

That feeling when you're almost 40, have your first checkup with your doctor in a while, and you have no clue if someone is going to stick their finger up main street for the first time or not.
I feel you...or should I say, the doctor feels me.

Not.A.Fun.Time this morning. Must have been fun for the dr, as he ordered a colonoscopy/endoscopy for me too.

I need a cigarette/psychologist
ask the Dr for your options for the prep. I've had 3 colonoscopies and 1 endoscopy. the first colonoscopy the prep was Hell. the second one my doctor recommended an easier to swallow prep but I had to pay out of pocket for it, $150. the most recent I had a slightly different prep that was kind of a hybrid of the 2 but covered by insurance. #3 wasn't awful but I'd probably still pay out of pocket for #2 the next time I have to have one.

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:04 pm

Are you talking about pre-Armageddon day prep, or day of prep? The pre-prep seems rather easy - liquid diet, all over the counter stuff, don't drink red or purple.

blackjack68

Health and Fitness

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 pm

Moooon River...you ever serve time Doc?

Is that the whole fist.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:26 am

Are you talking about pre-Armageddon day prep, or day of prep? The pre-prep seems rather easy - liquid diet, all over the counter stuff, don't drink red or purple.
I'm talking day-before prep. my first one (done in my 20's so that would've been mid 90's) was 64 ounces of thick, orange flavored liquid. absolutely disgusting. #2 (maybe 3 years ago?) was 2 treatments, 6 hours apart of only a few ounces of plain, normal liquid and #3 (la few months ago because I was anemic and they wanted to figure out why) was a little more liquid with one taken the day before and one taken the morning of because my procedure wasn't until 1:00PM. still did the liquid diet of course but the prep helps um...clean you out.

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:10 am

I'm talking day-before prep. my first one (done in my 20's so that would've been mid 90's) was 64 ounces of thick, orange flavored liquid. absolutely disgusting. #2 (maybe 3 years ago?) was 2 treatments, 6 hours apart of only a few ounces of plain, normal liquid and #3 (la few months ago because I was anemic and they wanted to figure out why) was a little more liquid with one taken the day before and one taken the morning of because my procedure wasn't until 1:00PM. still did the liquid diet of course but the prep helps um...clean you out.
Gotcha. I'll just go with what they prescribed. It's over the counter stuff, so hoping it's not too disgusting.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:24 am

It's probably miralax, or similar...it's not bad, it dissolves into most things pretty seamlessly...you can taste it in actual water, but it's not horrific...

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:27 am

My wife had a colonoscopy two years ago and they just had her down a bottle of OTC Miralax while also taking Dulcolax.

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:34 am

There it is, Miralax and Dulcolax. Don't have the instructions with me, but that's what they have me taking

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:15 am

My wife has a colonoscopy in two weeks. I think it might be her last one for a while, leftover follow-ups from the cancer treatment.

This is making me want to order a big juicy cheeseburger to eat in front of her the night before. :lol:

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:42 am

Sounds like dodint is gonna need a motel soon too, but this will be a solo mission haha...

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:51 pm

My wife has the lovely glucose test for her pregnancy today. Happy I don't have to go through that.

On another note, do any men here have a history of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms in their family? My dad was in his late 60s when he nearly had one (thankfully they detected it and fixed it before it burst). I know every time I am laying on my back and can see my abdominal aorta pumping a little bit, it freaks me out that it's getting enlarged :lol:

eddy

Health and Fitness

Postby eddy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:55 pm

Gotcha. I'll just go with what they prescribed. It's over the counter stuff, so hoping it's not too disgusting.
I've probably had 20-25 of these over the last 15 years. They've come along way since I started. The thick pledge like sludge was the absolute worse and I never finished all of it. Now it's a walk in the park with Miralax and Dulcolax. Enjoy!

PrinceOfRossTownship

Health and Fitness

Postby PrinceOfRossTownship » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:44 am

Does anybody want to play on a D1 level team at North Hills Dek Hockey? I don't know where else to post this but it will definitely up your fitness level running to patch the holes in our defensive zone coverage.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:30 pm

The Lemieux 6.6k is on October 13th this year. I have a prior commitment. Sad. :(

https://www.mariolemieux.org/pittsburgh ... mily-walk/

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:50 pm

The Lemieux 6.6k is on October 13th this year. I have a prior commitment. Sad. :(

https://www.mariolemieux.org/pittsburgh ... mily-walk/
I have been wanting to do this for years. With our son due September 30th, probably not happening this year :lol:

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:01 pm

Did the Lemieux 6.6k two years ago, skipped it last year, hope to do it again this year.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:07 pm

The wife signed up for the Cranberry Township Hot Cider Hustle 5K on November 9th and has been hinting at me to join her. I guess it will end up slotting in as my replacement race.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:21 pm

I need to remember to not start back with the walkers this year 8-)

I'm probably one of the few people who have done the 6.6k since it's inaugural year. I like how the current course is set up, but I wouldn't be mad if they switched to the original loop for a year.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:48 pm

Discussion between my optometrist and myself today:

"So, I see you're not taking any medication for your diabetes, is that right?"
"I'm sorry... my what?"
"Diabetes, this has a note that you're diabetic, but I don't see any medications that you're currently taking."
"I don't think I'm diabetic, did something from my initial tests suggest that I might be?"
"I don't know, let me check... Nope. Your eye health looks great. Someone wrote on your paper 'Diabetic eye exam'. Weird..."

Good start to the week...

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:56 pm

Learning from your eye doctor that you're four months pregnant...we'll workshop this...

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:17 am

Since I don't eat breakfast and I don't eat late, it turns out I've been 16:8 'intermittent fasting' for most of my adult life. Feels good to be ahead of something trendy. AMA.

bhflyhigh

Health and Fitness

Postby bhflyhigh » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:14 pm

On another note, do any men here have a history of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms in their family? My dad was in his late 60s when he nearly had one (thankfully they detected it and fixed it before it burst). I know every time I am laying on my back and can see my abdominal aorta pumping a little bit, it freaks me out that it's getting enlarged :lol:
Back in March when I was laying down to get to sleep I kept feeling my pulse in my stomach. I was also having abdominal pains that I couldn't really explain. Almost like a pulled muscle that I could feel if I did any kind of kicking motion. But I could feel that pain at night as well. It was weird. After this had been going on about a week, I had a particularly sharp pain in the abdomen on night and I started googling what it could be. A lot of the symptoms were for a abdominal aortic aneurysm. I started freaking out. It was midnight but I didn't want to wait. I went to the ER and got a CT scan and... everything looked great. They can look at the aorta, look for hernias, look for cancer, look for all kinds of things. And even though it cost me a little in the co pay, it really eased my mind. If I was you, I would schedule an appointment with a doctor and get that looked at pronto.

Turns out I was exercising too much along with being really stressed out from work. I think it was the stress more than anything. I was having a lot an anxiety and thinking about the pain made even more stressed which made the pain worse.

shmenguin

Health and Fitness

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Bought a sitting elliptical. Would highly recommend over a bike. Very comfy and a lot of angles and levels of resistance available.